dlaws.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm doing about Howard Giles' Accommodation Theory for my language investigation coursework and I can't figure out how to measure accommodation in my results??

Anyone have any ideas on what results I can collect which could show someone converging/diverging their language towards/away from the other participant's?

Thanks

edit-this was meant to be in the English section
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A accommdation theory investigation is very small to do a 2k word essay on. You are better in doing social class or accents which both include accommodation theory.

You could look for features of how the speaker is either using RP features or accent features to support that they are diverging or converging. You could also look for features as described by Malcolm Petyt and his study in department stores.
dlaws.
Rep:
?
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
A accommdation theory investigation is very small to do a 2k word essay on. You are better in doing social class or accents which both include accommodation theory.

You could look for features of how the speaker is either using RP features or accent features to support that they are diverging or converging. You could also look for features as described by Malcolm Petyt and his study in department stores.
Thanks for the response, I will consider changing my question to make it a bit broader
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dlaws.)
I'm doing about Howard Giles' Accommodation Theory for my language investigation coursework and I can't figure out how to measure accommodation in my results??

Anyone have any ideas on what results I can collect which could show someone converging/diverging their language towards/away from the other participant's?

Thanks

edit-this was meant to be in the English section
I want to take a Level English Language next year. How is it?? Is it enjoyable? I would like to take it with either English Lit and Biology or Sociology and Psychology
dlaws.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beth286)
I want to take a Level English Language next year. How is it?? Is it enjoyable? I would like to take it with either English Lit and Biology or Sociology and Psychology
its probably my favourite subject, I'd definitely recommend! It's not actually that difficult (although I am finding this coursework quite hard right now ), theres a fair amount to remember but once you've got the hang of the essays and analysing it's much easier than my other A levels and yes I'd say it's enjoyable
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
its probably my favourite subject, I'd definitely recommend! It's not actually that difficult (although I am finding this coursework quite hard right now ) but it is enjoyable
How much coursework is there?? What are the topics like?? I’m into sociology and want to work with children so I’ve been recommended English language
dlaws.
Rep:
?
How much coursework is there?? What are the topics like?? I’m into sociology and want to work with children so I’ve been recommended English language
There's 2 pieces of coursework, first one is split up into two 750ish word pieces, second is the one I'm doing now - language investigation - where you basically investigate any area of language and write 2000 words on it.
Quite a few people on my course want to do that actually and sociology would go quite well with English imo (based on the course I've been doing)
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's 2 pieces of coursework, first one is split up into two 750ish word pieces, second is the one I'm doing now - language investigation - where you basically investigate any area of language and write 2000 words on it.
Quite a few people on my course want to do that actually and sociology would go quite well with English imo (based on the course I've been doing)
Yeah and I’ve always wanted to do psychology so I think I’ve got my choices now, thankyou what do you mean area of language??
dlaws.
Rep:
?
Yeah and I’ve always wanted to do psychology so I think I’ve got my choices now, thankyou what do you mean area of language??
4 A-levels then? and I mean you will look at language and gender, language change, sociolects, etc. and you can pick whatever area you like
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
4 A-levels then? and I mean you will look at language and gender, language change, sociolects, etc. and you can pick whatever area you like
I’m not sure which ones to pick- I like English lit, biology, English language, sociology and psychology but I just can’t pick 3. However I’m kind of out of biology now so looking st doing English lit & Lang, sociology and psychology as I’m predicted 8’s for English and the test 6’s and 7’s so I think I’m probably gonna take a route in English or psychology, and sociology will help me with both. Ohh that’s cool I would like the gender aspect
dlaws.
Rep:
?
I’m not sure which ones to pick- I like English lit, biology, English language, sociology and psychology but I just can’t pick 3. However I’m kind of out of biology now so looking st doing English lit & Lang, sociology and psychology as I’m predicted 8’s for English and the test 6’s and 7’s so I think I’m probably gonna take a route in English or psychology, and sociology will help me with both. Ohh that’s cool I would like the gender aspect
have you considered English lit+lang combined? those 4 sound good anyway, definitely go with each other
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
have you considered English lit+lang combined? those 4 sound good anyway, definitely go with each other
That’s a good option actually!! I’ll speak to my English teacher tomorrow about it and see what she thinks, what subjects do you take??
dlaws.
Rep:
?
That’s a good option actually!! I’ll speak to my English teacher tomorrow about it and see what she thinks, what subjects do you take??
I considered it but I'm really glad I picked English language actually so I guess its personal preference, I take English Lang, history and French
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did both lit and Lang in first year. As much as they work alongside each other I got mixed up with the analysis and so often used lit analysis for lang and vice versa.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (8)
15.69%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
21.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
7.84%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (7)
13.73%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
7.84%
I think it's an unfair expectation (16)
31.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.96%

Watched Threads