Close-grip bench press 10-12 reps, 3 sets
Rope pressdown 10-12 reps, 2 sets

Friday:
Lats pulldown 10-12 reps, 3 sets
Single arm row 8-12 reps, 3 sets
Barbell curl 8-12 reps, 3 sets
Preacher curl 10-12 reps, 2 sets
Dumbbell shrug 12-15 reps, 3 sets

Some good advice please, would be good if you can answer the following Qs, thank you.
Am I covering a full body workout with those exercises?
How many reps should I do, I am looking to gain more mass?
What am I lacking in those exercises?

And any other suggestion is welcome! Reps will be given.
Ben Dover the Lollipop Man
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
any advice?
m i l o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
By looking at the range in exercises it looks like you are certainly going to do a full body workout. It looks like a great plan, and hope it works well and you get the results you want.
Peter North
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if your looking to bulk up, this is a solid program from myprotein.co.uk

Spoiler:
Show
To begin with I will say I am not an advocate of training each muscle only once a week. I have heard many people say "well muscles need time to heal blah blah" the truth is muscles fully heal within about 48hours of a training session and it is only if you strain your central nervous system(CNS) too much that you wil not recover. This means "intensity techniques" such as forced reps, drop-sets, negatives etc are a big no-no while on this program. I also do not believe in "hitting a muscle from every angle", this is just not needed. If you stick to heavy compound lifts you will make the most of every session, not waste time doing pointless lifts and not overtrain yourself for no reason.

The training program I advocate is simple, yet very effective. Each workout should be done once a week, with no more than 3 days of consecutive workouts.

Workout 1 (Monday) - Upper body
* Flat Dumbbell (DB) Bench press 3x6(this means 3 sets of 6 reps)
* Barbell Row 3x6
* Incline Barbell (BB) bench press 2x10
* Lat Pull down 2x10
* Seated DB shoulder press 2x10
* Barbell curl 2x10

Workout 2 (Tuesday) - Lower body
* Squat 3x6
* Goodmorning 3x6
* Leg extension 2x10
* Seated calf raise 3x6

Workout 3 (Thursday) - Upper body
* Incline DB press 3x6
* Pullup 3x6
* Flat BB bench 2x10
* Cable row 2x10
* Seated shoulder press 2x10
* Barbell curl 2x10
* Close grip bench press 2x10

Workout 4 (Saturday) - Lower body
* Deadlift 3x6
* Leg press 3x6
* Leg curl 2x10
* Standing calf raise 3x10

The key to this program is progression. Once you can handle a weight easily for the desired reps add 2.5kg and continue until you reach the desired rep count again. Repeat this and you will add slabs of muscle onto your physique. If you are not getting any stronger, then you probably aren't eating enough, so re-evaluate your diet and eat more, especially around your workouts. If this does not work, then its time to slow things down for a week. Take a week off and then start afresh; it is best to do this every 8 weeks or so to give your body a chance to fully recover. Then you will be back to 100% and ready to hit the weights hard again.

Your program looks ok to me, hows your diet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amsterman)
if your looking to bulk up, this is a solid program from myprotein.co.uk

Spoiler:
Show
To begin with I will say I am not an advocate of training each muscle only once a week. I have heard many people say "well muscles need time to heal blah blah" the truth is muscles fully heal within about 48hours of a training session and it is only if you strain your central nervous system(CNS) too much that you wil not recover. This means "intensity techniques" such as forced reps, drop-sets, negatives etc are a big no-no while on this program. I also do not believe in "hitting a muscle from every angle", this is just not needed. If you stick to heavy compound lifts you will make the most of every session, not waste time doing pointless lifts and not overtrain yourself for no reason.

The training program I advocate is simple, yet very effective. Each workout should be done once a week, with no more than 3 days of consecutive workouts.

Workout 1 (Monday) - Upper body
* Flat Dumbbell (DB) Bench press 3x6(this means 3 sets of 6 reps)
* Barbell Row 3x6
* Incline Barbell (BB) bench press 2x10
* Lat Pull down 2x10
* Seated DB shoulder press 2x10
* Barbell curl 2x10

Workout 2 (Tuesday) - Lower body
* Squat 3x6
* Goodmorning 3x6
* Leg extension 2x10
* Seated calf raise 3x6

Workout 3 (Thursday) - Upper body
* Incline DB press 3x6
* Pullup 3x6
* Flat BB bench 2x10
* Cable row 2x10
* Seated shoulder press 2x10
* Barbell curl 2x10
* Close grip bench press 2x10

Workout 4 (Saturday) - Lower body
* Deadlift 3x6
* Leg press 3x6
* Leg curl 2x10
* Standing calf raise 3x10

The key to this program is progression. Once you can handle a weight easily for the desired reps add 2.5kg and continue until you reach the desired rep count again. Repeat this and you will add slabs of muscle onto your physique. If you are not getting any stronger, then you probably aren't eating enough, so re-evaluate your diet and eat more, especially around your workouts. If this does not work, then its time to slow things down for a week. Take a week off and then start afresh; it is best to do this every 8 weeks or so to give your body a chance to fully recover. Then you will be back to 100% and ready to hit the weights hard again.

Your program looks ok to me, hows your diet
only have time to train 3 times a week.
Diet:
I have a bowl of cornflakes with milk in the morning.
for lunch usually a triple deck sandwich (fillings are tuna and sweetcorn, lettuce and mayo <- i know this is bad haha) the slices are average size.
for dinner usually rice or pasta, broccoli or some other veg, and red meat such as pork or beef and sometimes chicken.
i also eat 4-5 portions of fruit a day.

Is this enough? I don't have time to eat 6 meals a day, only 3 meals. And also I don't want to use any supplements, not even protein shakes or bar.also how many reps should i do.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
On the leg day i would take a set off SLDL to make it 2 sets and put 2 sets of leg curls. Neglecting hams is a common error.
Wednesday looks good.
Friday - I would add deadlifts and barbell rows instead of single arm row and preacher curls. Also i would replace lat pulldowns with 30,40 or 50 rep chins.
The program is still pretty good, covers most bases. If you want to stick to 3 days i recommend the alterations to the exercise plan ive made
Amstermans program is also very good so thats another possibility.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kelv)
only have time to train 3 times a week.
Diet:
I have a bowl of cornflakes with milk in the morning.
for lunch usually a triple deck sandwich (fillings are tuna and sweetcorn, lettuce and mayo <- i know this is bad haha) the slices are average size.
for dinner usually rice or pasta, broccoli or some other veg, and red meat such as pork or beef and sometimes chicken.
i also eat 4-5 portions of fruit a day.

Is this enough? I don't have time to eat 6 meals a day, only 3 meals. And also I don't want to use any supplements, not even protein shakes or bar.also how many reps should i do.
Not enough. If you dont have time then 4/5 meals is better then 3. Why don't you want to use protein shakes?
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd add Incline Dumbell flies and Seated row.

This will define your chest a bit more than what you've got, as its not just a pushing motion.

Seated row, will work your back + triceps which you haven't covered too much in your plan but this will fill that space.

Try to do less reps and more weight.

I tend to go up in weight and down in reps until i can't physically lift the weight twice. Then i change to the next exercise. And try and beat what i did last time every week.

For example.
Seated row.
26kgs - 12 reps
32kgs - 10 reps
38kgs - 8 reps
44kgs - 6 reps
50kgs - 4 reps
50kgs - 2 reps, if possible

And just push myself until i'm almost crying in pain haha. And just eat alot of everything as often as possible. Protein + Carbs. Stuff yourself full of meat and eggs .
$loth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would change that to legs/shoulders, chest/biceps, back/triceps. Reason being that when you train your chest, your shoulders and triceps are being worked aswell, similarly when you train your back your biceps are usually worked aswell, by switching them around you are effectively hitting more muscle groups each week.
Apart from that there is a good selection of exercises, although I would only do one of the bicep exercises. Also, I would put in deadlifts on the back day.
CTurbinado
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the plan seem good. why dont you take some protein shakes?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frio3535)
On the leg day i would take a set off SLDL to make it 2 sets and put 2 sets of leg curls. Neglecting hams is a common error.
Wednesday looks good.
Friday - I would add deadlifts and barbell rows instead of single arm row and preacher curls. Also i would replace lat pulldowns with 30,40 or 50 rep chins.
The program is still pretty good, covers most bases. If you want to stick to 3 days i recommend the alterations to the exercise plan ive made
Amstermans program is also very good so thats another possibility.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...edLegCurl.html
is this leg curl? ^^

if i dont do preacher rn't i neglecing biceps?
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeh thats it.
Arms are secondary to everything else. Learn to love training legs and back. Then your arms will come.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kelv)
I am planning to use this workout. It is a three day week out:

Monday:
Squat 6-12 reps, 4 sets
Leg extensions 10-12 reps, 3 sets
Stiff legged deadlift 6-12 reps, 3 sets
Standing calf raise 12-15 reps, 3 set

Wednesday:
Bench press 8-12 reps, 4 sets
Incline Dumbbell press 8-12 reps, 3 sets
Military press 6-12 reps, 3 sets
Lateral raise 10-12 reps, 3 sets
Close-grip bench press 10-12 reps, 3 sets
Rope pressdown 10-12 reps, 2 sets

Friday:
Lats pulldown 10-12 reps, 3 sets
Single arm row 8-12 reps, 3 sets
Barbell curl 8-12 reps, 3 sets
Preacher curl 10-12 reps, 2 sets
Dumbbell shrug 12-15 reps, 3 sets

Some good advice please, would be good if you can answer the following Qs, thank you.

And any other suggestion is welcome! Reps will be given.
thats a good plan if you ask me. put the leg day in the middle though. Mon/Wed/Fri.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeh thats a good idea mate. Missed that one completely.
ben_stretch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

No, a fullbody is where you work all of your body in every workout. Personally, I think there are too many isolations and not enough compounds, I mean Friday's workout is awful, your doing more isolations than compounds!
I think you should stick to bigger moves, if you want to add mass all over then you'll struggle with that workout. For example;
Squats/Deadlifts 8-10 x 3
Bench Press 8-10 x 3
Lat pull down 8-10 x 3
Military press 8-10 x 3

and then a couple of isolations, i.e Preacher curls/skullcrusher supersets.

The diets pretty bad aswell, if you can't eat at least 5 times a day then I think your gains will suffer hugely. There aren't enough calories in that diet to add any mass, too high in carbs with no essential fats and very little protein. Cornflakes aren't going to give you enough energy for the day, let alone in the gym. More calories = mass, although I would be careful if one of your days is practically a bicep/traps day!
Rep:
?
(Original post by ben_stretch)

No, a fullbody is where you work all of your body in every workout. Personally, I think there are too many isolations and not enough compounds, I mean Friday's workout is awful, your doing more isolations than compounds!
I think you should stick to bigger moves, if you want to add mass all over then you'll struggle with that workout. For example;
Squats/Deadlifts 8-10 x 3
Bench Press 8-10 x 3
Lat pull down 8-10 x 3
Military press 8-10 x 3

and then a couple of isolations, i.e Preacher curls/skullcrusher supersets.

The diets pretty bad aswell, if you can't eat at least 5 times a day then I think your gains will suffer hugely. There aren't enough calories in that diet to add any mass, too high in carbs with no essential fats and very little protein. Cornflakes aren't going to give you enough energy for the day, let alone in the gym. More calories = mass, although I would be careful if one of your days is practically a bicep/traps day!
how should i improve diet
Rep:
?
I can only eat 3 times a day, as I have uni during the day I don't have time to eat more than 3 meals each day. What if for my workout days Mon/Weds/Fri I have a diet as below:

Cereal with milk, 3 boiled eggs for MORNING
sandwich containing: 4 slices of brown bread, lettuces, 1 lightly fried egg, tomatoes for LUNCH
large dish of pasta/rice/noodle, half a chicken, 1 egg, loads of veg for DINNER
4-5 portions of fruit each day.

Also what should I eat for snack? Any suggestions?
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kelv)
how should i improve diet
if your aiming for mass its basically as much as you can with as least saturated fats and sugars as you can. raw carbs and meat products are best, but also remember your fruit and veg. dont think of it as a diet as such cause you will get confused with restricting calories! big bowls of pasta with tuna and sweetcorn plus mayo, omlets with loads of stuff chucked in, oats, you get the idea.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dac.)
if your aiming for mass its basically as much as you can with as least saturated fats and sugars as you can. raw carbs and meat products are best, but also remember your fruit and veg. dont think of it as a diet as such cause you will get confused with restricting calories! big bowls of pasta with tuna and sweetcorn plus mayo, omlets with loads of stuff chucked in, oats, you get the idea.
yeah i get the idea, its not that I can't eat a lot I just never thought of it before, and I only thought you needed protein to build muscle so I'm guessing I'm pretty wrong there!? Do you need carbs, fats too?

Also today I ate a triple deck sandwich, about 10 biscuits, then SUDDENLY i had the craving for a foot long meatball subway. so i went and got in and murdered it... that's how I should be eating right? haha

also should i eat like a normal person if i'm not going gym on the same day.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just eat as much as you can all the time. It's not a diet. It's max calories, but try and have mainly protein as this gains mass. But you need carbs to provide energy for the work out. And fats are broken down for energy that can be used to "make protein into muscle".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads