I need help with eng lit and lang revision

Watch
Annileta
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I rally struggle to push past a 5 in english and have been on it for a solid two years! Can anyone give me tips for the exams and revision techniques please?

user202
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really like English
My grade during mocks was a 7
Not brilliant like an 8 or something but I'm aiming for that haha

I'm sure a lot of people would advise you to watch Mr Bruff, including myself. He really got my grades up.

English Literature Tips:
- When you're commenting on a poem, you need to make sure you hit the AO's. I abbreviated them to LFSC. I'll explain the meanings below.
- Language
- Form
- Structure
- Context

Language:
How does the language convey a particular theme? If the question asks you to explain how an extract conveys ideas about power, you'll draw out a word or phrase that represents power. I generally look at:
- phonetics (how the phrase sounds, so, in the poem Ozymandias it says 'cold command'. Here, alliteration is being used to emphasise the harsh sound of the 'c'. You could then talk about the effect that has on the reader or how it sets up the tone of the extract.
- techniques (alliteration, oxymoron, juxtapostion, enjambment)

Form
Comment on how the form and genre. Jekyll and Hyde is a gothic novel and so it's more likely to have gothic themes within it. This point is good to bring up when you're speaking about what the author could be commenting on. I'm kind of hazy about how to explain form and it's effect so I'm sorry about how vague my explanation is.

Structure
This is a comment on, well, how the text has been written. Ozymandias is written as a sonnet, which is typically used for love poems. The contents of Ozymandias represent the notion of power whereas it's structure represents the notion of love so both combined could represent Ozymandias' love for power. It's a fairly overused point, I know. It was the first thing to pop up in my head.

Context
When was the novel written? What was society like back then? Why is this relevant to the novel? Jekyll and Hyde was written during the Victorian period where many people would highly value modesty. However, there was a hidden section of London where Victorians would visit to indulge in what would've otherwise be considered evil. This is a direct link to duality, which is one of the biggest themes in Jekyll and Hyde.

If you need further explaination on some stuff I've mentioned, ask me! This post was kind of rushed so I'd be more than happy to elaborate if what I've said doesn't make too much sense.
rnl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a 7 in both my English GCSE exams after being at 5’s the whole 2 years. The way you revise really depends on the board you’re doing- I did WJEC for language and AQA for Literature. For literature though I just annotated the poems looking for stuff like semantic fields, metaphors, simile’s, plosives and sibilance etc and then I learned 3 key quotes from each poem (trying to make them as short as possible with key words and the subject devices in). I studied Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde and An Inspector Calls so I just learnt a few key quotes for the main characters that could be very useful for any question. But also you have the luxury I didn’t have seeing as I was the first year with the new GCSE- Past papers! So so useful! I strongly recommend doing any past papers you can find in all your subjects
VGM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For both literature and language I have AQA. For language you need to learn the techniques and be able to do some creative writing (I always choose to write a short story as it's less limiting in what you can do). For Literature I went through all the notes on my books which were Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde and lord of the flies. I went through all the notes and then I wrote them all down in a single book, I then chose what I thought were the best or most important quotes for each main character and key theme that is consistent throughout the book. I then memorised the quotes. For Poetry I did the same however I went through the poems and not the notes in my English book. You then memorise the key quotes from your "quote book". I haven't gotten my mock results back but I think this method was very useful as most of the quotes still stuck in my head
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (349)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (277)
44.25%

Watched Threads