The Student Room Group

Shall I move schools or not?

Hiya, I really wanted to move schools to a school that starts their GCSE courses in Year 9 (the school i go to start their GCSE courses in yr 10) and i was told that i would have to move down to yr 9 and if i stay in yr 10 it will be very difficult (but i want to stay in yr 10) i was told that i van stay in yr10. so i was thinking to stay after school to catch up instead, would that be a good idea? The teacher i was talking to said that i would have to catch up more (1.5 years of work) than learn (1 year left of their gcse courses) so he wouldn't recommend it. He also said that students who moved to the school in yr 10 found it hard to catch up. The school i go to also has no chemistry teacher (so we are meant to learn ourselves but we just mess around)

Also, if i move schools i will get 10 gcses and if i dont i will get 9.

I dont know what to do - can someone PLEASE help me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why do you want to move to that school? (Apart from the chemistry class)
If you want to study Chemistry in A Level and/or study Chemistry related courses at uni, you should definitely move because not studying Chem at GCSE will be a HUGE disadvantage. Else don't because it's not worth a year of your life (you can have a gap year before uni with that amount of time, which is way more helpful/productive)
Reply 2
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Why do you want to move to that school? (Apart from the chemistry class)
If you want to study Chemistry in A Level and/or study Chemistry related courses at uni, you should definitely move because not studying Chem at GCSE will be a HUGE disadvantage. Else don't because it's not worth a year of your life (you can have a gap year before uni with that amount of time, which is way more helpful/productive)

I want to move becuse the school i go to now has hardly any teachers like now we dont have a chemistry teacher, last term we didnt have a computer science teacher and my french reacher is also going to leave next week and we dont have a fench teacher when she leaves. So bacically i will always be in at least one class without a teacher (and we will have to teach everyrhing to ourselves but it never seems to happen becuse we seem to mess around and i try really hard to do my work but i always seem to get distracted).

The school im moving to also has a really high reputation compared to my current school.
Original post by a.plane
I want to move becuse the school i go to now has hardly any teachers like now we dont have a chemistry teacher, last term we didnt have a computer science teacher and my french reacher is also going to leave next week and we dont have a fench teacher when she leaves. So bacically i will always be in at least one class without a teacher (and we will have to teach everyrhing to ourselves but it never seems to happen becuse we seem to mess around and i try really hard to do my work but i always seem to get distracted).

The school im moving to also has a really high reputation compared to my current school.

Then there's really no reason to hesitate :smile: repeating one year is way better than wasting 2 years of GCSE to achieve rubbish grades.
Original post by a.plane
Hiya, I really wanted to move schools to a school that starts their GCSE courses in Year 9 (the school i go to start their GCSE courses in yr 10) and i was told that i would have to move down to yr 9. The teacher i was talking to said that i would have to catch up more (1.5 years of work) than learn (1 year left of their gcse courses) so he wouldn't recommend it. He also said that students who moved to the school in yr 10 found it hard to catch up. The school i go to also has no chemistry teacher (so we are meant to learn ourselves but we just mess around)

Also, if i move schools i will get 10 gcses and if i dont i will get 9.

I dont know what to do - can someone PLEASE help me.

Why are all your teachers leaving!?!
Reply 5
Original post by Teajackson
Why are all your teachers leaving!?!

Our school is making the teachers leave becuse they don't have enough money to pay them and some are leaving beucse the school isn't paying enough for them.
So bacically we only have 1 teacher per subject and other schools (the ones i have checked) have about 2 - 4 teachers per subject and sometimes more. so when one teacher leaves we have to study on our own which doesnt go well.
Original post by a.plane
Our school is making the teachers leave becuse they don't have enough money to pay them and some are leaving beucse the school isn't paying enough for them.
So bacically we only have 1 teacher per subject and other schools (the ones i have checked) have about 2 - 4 teachers per subject and sometimes more. so when one teacher leaves we have to study on our own which doesnt go well.

That really does sound terrible, I think one more year is worth good GCSE grades!
Reply 7
Right for anyone who is in a similar situation and is reading this post, random update that no one asked for.

Well if you are making a similar decision, and are scared I say go for it. I did it for me, I didn’t mention but the “old school” I went to I had some toxic friends which was draining to my mental health. I moved schools and started in February of year 10, managed to catch up and stay ontop of content in like 6 weeks. Did amazing in my end of year 10 mocks, and got 8s and 9s in my GCSEs. Yes it was hard, a lot of hard work catching up, the stress of it was difficult mentally as well. I also had teachers who doubted me constantly. But the challenge was worth it, as now everytime I’m faced with a challenging time or people doubting me, I just remember about this time and how I pushed though. I also met my best friend in the new school, and honestly couldn’t imagine my life without her.

Well I did amazing in my alevels. And I’m going to graduate with a degree in aerospace engineering from a Russel group university in a couple months. I also have a conditional offer for my dream job and about to start the course that will get me to that job by the end of this year. So yes, life isn’t over because I had 1.5 years of gcse content to catch up on.

I mean I’m aware I’m just sharing the highlights of my life, there have been many downs as well. But I didn’t have any friends or a support network back then and pulled through. I have an amazing support network now, and life still feels like crap but honestly reading my post from when I was 14 sort my makes me laugh a little because it seems so minor to me now. And whatever I’m going through right now does seem like the world is going to end if I mess up, but let’s be real I’ll probably be going through something in a couple years and look back at this moment and laugh about it.

So if anyone is going through something right now, it gets better 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest