Maths1210
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Could you help me answer this question, please? Mobile phones use electromagnetic waves in a wavelength range that includes short radio waves and microwaves. Describe the effect on mobile phone users if remote control handsets were operated in this range as well.
Advertisement
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maths1210)
Could you help me answer this question, please? Mobile phones use electromagnetic waves in a wavelength range that includes short radio waves and microwaves. Describe the effect on mobile phone users if remote control handsets were operated in this range as well.
There would be interference between the devices. i.e. the receiving device would be unable to make sense of the two conflicting data formats transmitted at the same frequencies and no communications would be possible.

As a result, the receiving mobile phone would not be able to receive and decode voice and data. Further, the remote control will not be able to operate it's partner device because the two devices are mixing up their signals.

An analogy would be like two people trying to conduct a conversation in a train station where other people are shouting nearby and the station public address system is also announcing a message.

The collective term for ensuring electrical devices operate correctly without interfering with other devices is called Electro Magnetic Compatibility (EMC).

It's the reason why government licences the radio frequency spectrum to ensure they control the rf spectrum and that there is no conflict causing equipment to stop working properly.

The military uses targeted electromagnetic frequency conflicts, as one method of 'jamming', denying or disrupting an enemies radio communications, radar and missile guidance systems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.28%
Unhappy (53)
28.04%
Conflicted (92)
48.68%

Watched Threads