The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
William Byrd
Which is the finest school in England? Winchester for me.

As I mentioned in a post yesterday, at uni a couple of people from Winchester I know have ended up bottom of the entire uni for their subject and failed their exams, Etonians get a lot of 1sts.
Reply 2
Unregistered
As I mentioned in a post yesterday, at uni a couple of people from Winchester I know have ended up bottom of the entire uni for their subject and failed their exams, Etonians get a lot of 1sts.

"a couple"? Excuse me for not changing my mind.
Reply 3
William Byrd
"a couple"? Excuse me for not changing my mind.

Well Winchester or Eton, why the hell pay £20,000 a year of Daddy's cash to get 3 A Grades which you can so easily get at a crap state school unless you're a dumbass??
Reply 4
Unregistered
Well Winchester or Eton, why the hell pay £20,000 a year of Daddy's cash to get 3 A Grades which you can so easily get at a crap state school unless you're a dumbass??

What a narrow view of education you have.
Reply 5
William Byrd
What a narrow view of education you have.

Explain why I'm being "narrow". Yes there's additional opportunities like debating and rowing, but is it worth the additional £20,000? These schools providing "the best education possible" = spoonfeeding their students so they get A grades. No wonder so many screw up when they're on their own in the real world when it comes to uni.
Reply 6
Unregistered
Explain why I'm being "narrow". Yes there's additional opportunities like debating and rowing, but is it worth the additional £20,000? These schools providing "the best education possible" = spoonfeeding their students so they get A grades. No wonder so many screw up when they're on their own in the real world when it comes to uni.

How many is "so many"?
Reply 7
William Byrd
How many is "so many"?

Quite a lot in fact if you look at the stats. And even if it's just a few, that's a few who've spent £20,000 a year for their "1st class education" to screw up. Explain why my previous comment was so "narrow-minded" to back up your argument to counter mine, that paying sh*tloads for A grades is pointless these days, you can get the same grades for free. And partake in extracurriculars eg orchestra, drama... even at a crap school.
Reply 8
Unregistered
Quite a lot in fact if you look at the stats. And even if it's just a few, that's a few who've spent £20,000 a year for their "1st class education" to screw up. Explain why my previous comment was so "narrow-minded" to back up your argument to counter mine, that paying sh*tloads for A grades is pointless these days, you can get the same grades for free. And partake in extracurriculars eg orchestra, drama... even at a crap school.

There's so much more to a rounded education than straight 'A's.
Reply 9
Willaim Byrd

And like I said William, you are able to partake in other aspects of a "rounded education" such as being in an orchestra, performing in drama, playing sports... at any school, without paying £20,000 a year for Eton or Winchester. Yes they may be a bit better for those other aspects but it isn't worth THAT much extra.
Reply 10
Difficult to say unless you've had it, surely?
Reply 11
William Byrd
Difficult to say unless you've had it, surely?

Perhaps, but I know several who've been to Eton, Winchester and other top colleges. They aren't better at sport/music, and stuff like debating/rowing it's very easy for novices to quickly make up for the head start.
Reply 12
Unregistered
Perhaps, but I know several who've been to Eton, Winchester and other top colleges. They aren't better at sport/music, and stuff like debating/rowing it's very easy for novices to quickly make up for the head start.

I'm not sure it's a question of who's better. A talented individual will always shine, no matter what school they're in. My contention is that the education offered at Winchester will be better than the local comp.
Reply 13
William Byrd
I'm not sure it's a question of who's better. A talented individual will always shine, no matter what school they're in. My contention is that the education offered at Winchester will be better than the local comp.

Fair enough, debate over, thanks for helping me figure out why people are willing to splash out so much!
Reply 14
Unregistered
Fair enough, debate over, thanks for helping me figure out why people are willing to splash out so much!

Time for bed.
Reply 15
how about-if u go to a state school u will come out with a common accent and u will be put into classes with people who are as common as dirt, who steal peoples money, buy and sell drugs, beat people up, hold up people who actually want to learn and have no class.

(No prizes for guessing i go to public school.)
Unregistered
how about-if u go to a state school u will come out with a common accent and u will be put into classes with people who are as common as dirt, who steal peoples money, buy and sell drugs, beat people up, hold up people who actually want to learn and have no class.

You sure about that?
Me: Went to 2 bog-standard state schools.
Now: Surrounded by the middle class at a damn fine uni.

But you're right about people who want to learn being held up, that was a problem at GCSE, but it's not at AS/A Level since the people there are there as they want more than GCSE qualifications.

And it's definitely not just the "common" people who buy and sell drugs, the problem is prevalent at the country's top schools (Westminster, Bradford Grammar...) where each year many are kicked out.
Reply 17
Unregistered

the ignorance is astounding.. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Willaim Byrd

can i suggest you pop over to the 'Running to the Press...' post. im having difficulty expressing the very same sentiment.
Reply 19
Unregistered

So I guess you would agree that a state school public who managed to get into Oxford and has put up with the conditions you have described (with no experience I might add) has worked a lot harder for his place than someone who went to Winchester/Eton/Harrow and is therefore less likely to do well within a university environment?

And why do you assume that all state schools are "common", there are plenty of state schools that do better than the top public schools...you should not generalise so much!