The Student Room Group

UCL MSc Architectural Computation - has anyone done it?

Hello,

I am doing my research about the above course for some time now: been to open doors, spoke to tutors e.t.c.

However, I didn't get a choice to speak to anyone who has done the course (as I would always come to student shows at around 6pm and all students were already off to the pub by then).

Has anyone on this forum done the course, and what do you feel about it?

I am interested to get fluent with programming for both design purposes as well as back-end architecture (automation of construction/ manufacture information creation, routine office tasks e.t.c.) - you get the drift.

What skill set did this course give you and how well it prepares you for real world problems?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
The MSc Architectural Computation is one-year full time course (MRes offers a flexible module). For someone with zero programming knowledge (such as myself), I would say that it was a steep learning curve, but at the same time, what I experienced and learn during the course was indeed exhilarating.

If you aren't already familiar with Rhino Grasshopper, get yourself familiarize with it, granted it was just one of the 'vehicle' for you to experience and learn programming, but a good knowledge of the 'software environment/(interface)' would be helpful (on the first class, i didnt even know how to open the grasshopper window). The course switched from coding with processing to C#, suggest those who are interested in this course, try out tutorial available online, some of the tutorial i find useful are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCrIzENDn8 by Long Nguyen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlBaIyLoN3Y by Reinhard Koenig

These tutorials were extremely helpful for me especially in the beginning of wrapping my head around this strange new and exciting world.

As you progress to the later stage of your studies, you will find yourself using a lot more different software for your project, and very likely it will involves lots of coding as well (C, Java, Python, anyway, don't get yourself confused with all that, start from C#, one step at a time)

The environment was highly self-directed, all the tutors were extremely knowledgeable, but after years of 'programming style thinking', it can be hard for newb to 'speak' their 'language', so, make sure you work extremely hard on your own and do a lot of studies/exercise on your own time.

If you want to make the most out of it, check out the slides lecturers uploaded before class (they usually upload in advance), having the first screening of the topics, do some research in advance, in order to understand the lecture better afterward, ask better question to clear whatever confusion you might have.

The journey was tough, but i believe it was worthwhile, enjoy your ride!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending