The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

QMUL in dodgy area?

Is QMUL in a dodgy area? hearing lots of mixed reviews so if anyone could help me i would appreciate it!
Yeah East London is pretty horrible
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
anyone else?
Reply 3
The area is fine. It's a metropolitan city, not a warzone. Around the uni itself there's a lot of CCTV, streets are well-lit at night... I'm a tiny white girl and I didn't feel threatened when I was walking around Mile End at night a few months ago.
It's not dodgy at all. Mile End Road is well lit and busy nearly all of the time, you're never going to feel like you're walking on a shady backstreet late at night. I've never felt remotely unsafe around here.

I highly doubt that the poster above who has written off the whole of East London as horrible has actually lived here. East London is becoming more and more gentrified by the minute for one thing.
I was at QMUL in 2014, and had the same concerns. But it’s absolutely fine. The actual campus is so small and compact (compared to US universities at least, I’m from the US mind). The surrounding area is absolutely fine, as well. Right next to Mile End tube station, and walkable into central London. I felt perfectly safe there. In fact, it has its own charm about it. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.
You’re more likely to get run over by a militant cyclist than be attacked at night

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending