The Student Room Group

Should I mention dropping out of uni in personal statement?

Hi all, I'm 25 and after struggling for years with mental illness and a physical disability, I've decided to go back to study this year. I went to uni back home in Ireland after school and studied English & Film for 2 years before my health circumstances forced me to drop out. The thing is, I loved my course content and was doing quite well. Long story short, I moved to Scotland years ago and have decided to start another undergrad here this year in the media/journalism sector. Really my question is, do you think I should mention my previous study (incomplete as it is) just in terms of showing an interest in that sort of discipline and why I'd like to continue now that I've recovered?

Is it unnecessary or off-putting to the uni? I just feel like since I have no practical experience in the sector per se I should at least account for the years since I left school and maybe it does express I always had an interest, if not always the means, to study this.

(Sorry if I'm not making myself 100% clear or if this question has been asked a billion times before, just experiencing some personal statement jitters)
i think you should to show that your determined but also explain how your health circumstances forced you to drop out i guess
Original post by jaytodd
Hi all, I'm 25 and after struggling for years with mental illness and a physical disability, I've decided to go back to study this year. I went to uni back home in Ireland after school and studied English & Film for 2 years before my health circumstances forced me to drop out. The thing is, I loved my course content and was doing quite well. Long story short, I moved to Scotland years ago and have decided to start another undergrad here this year in the media/journalism sector. Really my question is, do you think I should mention my previous study (incomplete as it is) just in terms of showing an interest in that sort of discipline and why I'd like to continue now that I've recovered?

Is it unnecessary or off-putting to the uni? I just feel like since I have no practical experience in the sector per se I should at least account for the years since I left school and maybe it does express I always had an interest, if not always the means, to study this.

(Sorry if I'm not making myself 100% clear or if this question has been asked a billion times before, just experiencing some personal statement jitters)

Your previous study needs to be listed in your education section.

Talking about specific topics or work you enjoyed would be expected.
What did you study for your Leaving Certificate?
Reply 4
Original post by deltagolf
What did you study for your Leaving Certificate?

Hi, thanks for responding.

I got an A in Higher English then Bs in 5 other higher level subjects incl Irish, German, Maths, Biology, Geography and Business. Over 500 points so pretty hopeful regarding my school grades, it's just the years after school until present that worry me.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Your previous study needs to be listed in your education section.

Talking about specific topics or work you enjoyed would be expected.

Hello and thanks for your speedy response.

I had thought since I had not completed the degree I couldn't list it in the education section? Thanks for the advice:smile:
Original post by jaytodd
Hello and thanks for your speedy response.

I had thought since I had not completed the degree I couldn't list it in the education section? Thanks for the advice:smile:

All places of study need to be listed.

If you completed modules then you have university credits which are a qualification. There’s a link in my sig (and in the first post of the stickied Transfer FAQ thread) to an example of how to add credits.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
All places of study need to be listed.

If you completed modules then you have university credits which are a qualification. There’s a link in my sig (and in the first post of the stickied Transfer FAQ thread) to an example of how to add credits.

You've been so helpful, thank you so much. Feeling a lot more confident in my application now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending