The Student Room Group

Best unis for film design/animation?

Hey guys - so I'm super interested in animation so I've been looking at Bournemouth, Herfordshire, UCA and Ravensbourne. Bournemouth has topped the list for me.

Thing is, I looked at Nottingham Trent's course for Design for Film and TV and it looks SO good! Does anyone know any other good unis with a similar course to this?

Also - if I do end up applying to both animation and film design, how would I tailor my personal statement so it can apply to both? Same for my portfolio?

Thank you!
:hello:

Advice for writing a PS for multiple subjects is to focus on what they have in common (source). Don't know about portfolios I'm afraid.:frown:

From a tiny bit of googling I can't see anything extremely similar to that TV/Film Design course at NTU.:s-smilie:

@chelseadagg3r might wish to add something (:hi:).
Original post by 04MR17
:hello:

Advice for writing a PS for multiple subjects is to focus on what they have in common (source). Don't know about portfolios I'm afraid.:frown:

From a tiny bit of googling I can't see anything extremely similar to that TV/Film Design course at NTU.:s-smilie:

@chelseadagg3r might wish to add something (:hi:).

Thanks for the tag!

Original post by Tanisha_N
Hey guys - so I'm super interested in animation so I've been looking at Bournemouth, Herfordshire, UCA and Ravensbourne. Bournemouth has topped the list for me.

Thing is, I looked at Nottingham Trent's course for Design for Film and TV and it looks SO good! Does anyone know any other good unis with a similar course to this?

Also - if I do end up applying to both animation and film design, how would I tailor my personal statement so it can apply to both? Same for my portfolio?

Thank you!

Hi there :smile:

I study animation at Nottingham Trent at the moment, and did consider Bournemouth for the same course too. I did also look at doing Film and Animation at Birmingham City. They are similar subjects, and in studying animation you will most likely study some live action film as well. In both subjects, animation and TV/Film Design, you'll cover a lot of the same stuff so consider what interests you about the second and you can talk about it in both contexts. If you have any experience working to a brief, maybe mention that. Perhaps you have an interest in working with external clients, or you're an artist particularly interested in mise en scene. Did you study something previously that sparked your interest? Perhaps you have a particular career in mind. As for a portfolio, what have you studied previously? Do you have any film work? Do you have any animation work to show? (Don't worry if not, many don't). Check with the universities individually because they may have different portfolio requirements, but just show a range of your work. In a lot of cases, there will be a section on their website about portfolios so you can check what they want to see, what size they're looking for, that kind of thing

Thank you!

Hi Tanisha_N

It nice to know that you have Ravensbourne as one of your options.

if you're interested, at our open days we offer free portfolio and showreel workshops, so maybe you can talk to our staff here to get some advice on how to build a strong portfolio.

As a student myself I thought you may want to consider the type of software other universities offer. See what discounts you can get or check if they are free. Here at Ravensbourne we offer free Adobe packages and other software to our undergrad students. Some of my friends from other universities do animation but have to pay for Adobe so when looking at your options do consider finance and all.

Good luck with your search and I hope this helps
Aliya
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Thanks for the tag!

I study animation at Nottingham Trent at the moment, and did consider Bournemouth for the same course too. I did also look at doing Film and Animation at Birmingham City. They are similar subjects, and in studying animation you will most likely study some live action film as well. In both subjects, animation and TV/Film Design, you'll cover a lot of the same stuff so consider what interests you about the second and you can talk about it in both contexts. If you have any experience working to a brief, maybe mention that. Perhaps you have an interest in working with external clients, or you're an artist particularly interested in mise en scene. Did you study something previously that sparked your interest? Perhaps you have a particular career in mind. As for a portfolio, what have you studied previously? Do you have any film work? Do you have any animation work to show? (Don't worry if not, many don't). Check with the universities individually because they may have different portfolio requirements, but just show a range of your work. In a lot of cases, there will be a section on their website about portfolios so you can check what they want to see, what size they're looking for, that kind of thing

Hi there. (This is my first time to post here, I hope I’m doing this right ☺️)
My daughter is thinking of doing Animation at Uni and Nottingham Trent is one of her choices. I’m helping her with her research as she’s got Aspergers and is a bit apprehensive about social contact, even online. What’s it like? Are the lecturers good? And, are you enjoying the course?
The other unis in her list to consider are Dundee, Coventry, Lincoln, Northumbria and Teesside. She’s going next year (Sept 2019), but we’re doing the research now to give us time to go to Open Days.
Hope you can help. 😊
Original post by Beehodgepodge
Hi there. (This is my first time to post here, I hope I’m doing this right ☺️)
My daughter is thinking of doing Animation at Uni and Nottingham Trent is one of her choices. I’m helping her with her research as she’s got Aspergers and is a bit apprehensive about social contact, even online. What’s it like? Are the lecturers good? And, are you enjoying the course?
The other unis in her list to consider are Dundee, Coventry, Lincoln, Northumbria and Teesside. She’s going next year (Sept 2019), but we’re doing the research now to give us time to go to Open Days.
Hope you can help. 😊

Hi! My experience is at Nottingham Trent (NTU), and it's really good. There's actually a lot of people on my course this year and in the years above with autism spectrum disorders and different kinds of mental health difficulties as well. The lecturers and the course team are really understanding and the student services teams are fantastic too. I'm really enjoying the course. I haven't looked into the others too much, but I had my DSA assessment at Teesside uni as I live near by and my college were kind of linked to them and their student services teams were brilliant as well
Hi! My experience is at Nottingham Trent (NTU), and it's really good. There's actually a lot of people on my course this year and in the years above with autism spectrum disorders and different kinds of mental health difficulties as well. The lecturers and the course team are really understanding and the student services teams are fantastic too. I'm really enjoying the course. I haven't looked into the others too much, but I had my DSA assessment at Teesside uni as I live near by and my college were kind of linked to them and their student services teams were brilliant as well

Thank you. That’s good to know. NTU is one of her “solid” choices. 😊
Original post by Beehodgepodge
Thank you. That’s good to know. NTU is one of her “solid” choices. 😊

That's great. It's definitely worth visiting an open day if you can just to get a feel for the place. For me it just felt right and that's why this ended up my first choice. You'll also get to see the accommodation as well :smile:
That's great. It's definitely worth visiting an open day if you can just to get a feel for the place. For me it just felt right and that's why this ended up my first choice. You'll also get to see the accommodation as well :smile:

Yes, I know what you mean. We went to Teesside’s open day last Oct and somehow we didn’t get the feel for it. Lincoln was better. We’re going to NTU’s open day in March. Looking forward to it!
Reply 9
Thanks for the tag!

Hi there,

So sorry for the late reply, but this was very useful! I appreciate the advice!

Thank you
Tanisha
Hi there,

So sorry for the late reply, but this was very useful! I appreciate the advice!

Thank you
Tanisha

No problem at all, glad you found it useful!
in france there is an excellent one called " ESMA " i know it's far from uk, but just in case u could be interested

Thank you!

Hey there!
I'm a student at BU and its great to hear that you are thinking of coming to Bournemouth - have you decided yet? Can I help with anything?
Alice :smile:

Thank you!

Hey!

It's great that you're thinking of coming to study at BU.

We have a great reputation for producing some very talented graduates - many of whom have gone on to be a part of some VERY big films. (as per the articles attached)

Spectre to Star Wars: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/13897000.From_Spectre_to_Star_Wars__how_Bournemouth_is_making_its_mark_on_Hollywood/

Games & Visual effects: indsutries https://www.theguardian.com/careers/bournemouth-university-national-centre-computer-animation

Success in Hollywood: https://www.theguardian.com/careers/bournemouth-university-national-centre-computer-animation

Please let us know if there's anything specific you'd like some further insight on!

All the best,
Dom B

Thank you!

Hi Tanisha,

We understand it can be a tough decision! We offer a BA (Hons) Animation and Visual Effects degree. You can read more about it here: https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/anianiub/

100% of students agree that Lincoln’s Animation course is intellectually stimulating, with opportunities to explore ideas or concepts in depth - National Student Survey 2017.

Darren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending