How To Connect My Xbox To My Student Hall Internet With A Wire

Watch
tbeyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have been in student halls since september, I've been using wifi to connect my xbox to the internet, but recently the internet has been so slow and i realised i have an ethernet cable so i plugged it in but its not working.
The xbox doesn't saying anything when its plugged in, so no internet
I asked my geeky flatmate and he helped me out a bit saying 'use the wired mac address' which i did do, but didn't work (maybe i didn't do it right), but we don't really get on so im not asking him for anymore help lol.
Does anyone know what to do?
The wifi provider is 'ASK4' THANKS.
tbeyan
Rep:
?
And I have an Xbox One
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tbeyan)
I have been in student halls since september, I've been using wifi to connect my xbox to the internet, but recently the internet has been so slow and i realised i have an ethernet cable so i plugged it in but its not working.
I asked my geeky flatmate and he helped me out a bit saying 'use the wired mac address' which i did do, but didn't work (maybe i didn't do it right), but we don't really get on so im not asking him for anymore help lol.
Am I right in saying you're connecting from a router? If so, make sure the ethernet cable is properly plugged into the router and the Xbox.

Then, if you have the option, try testing connection in the settings.
PythagorasGhost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Am I right in saying you're connecting from a router? If so, make sure the ethernet cable is properly plugged into the router and the Xbox.

I assume they just have ethernet ports in the rooms, but replace 'router' with 'wall' and your post still works
PythagorasGhost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Like @RoyalSheepy said, testing the connection in Settings usually works - sometimes doing that will prompt you to sign into the network or register your device
tbeyan
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)

no its not a router, its a socket in the wall where you can plug the ethernet cable into. every room has this, people have said theirs work
tbeyan
Rep:
?
Literally tried everything. ASK4 is like the main student accommodation Internet service in the UK and like half of students has an xbox, surely theres someone who's had the same the same problem im having!!
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Literally tried everything. ASK4 is like the main student accommodation Internet service in the UK and like half of students has an xbox, surely theres someone who's had the same the same problem im having!!
Try plugging something else in that socket and see if you get the same problem. It may be likely the socket itself is faulty.

Have you tried contacting ASK4 themselves?
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Get a PS4 or a PC you slug
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
😂😂😂
tbeyan
Rep:
?
I did that. Didn't work.
tbeyan
Rep:
?
I think it’s just complicated because you have to manually add the MAC address to your WiFi account yourself. Which I did.. multiple times. However, I don’t know, I must be doing something wrong since it’s not working. Yes I’ve used another cable and I’m going to plug it into my MacBook once my Ethernet adapter arrives. And there’s only 1 port and that’s the Ethernet port. I’ve spoke to ASK4 and they’re not helpful. I’ve done everything they said I should do already
TheyCallMeSir
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't know if you've seen this post but sounds familiar.
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...in_university/
tbeyan
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheyCallMeSir)
Don't know if you've seen this post but sounds familiar.
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...in_university/
That’s close but not it, 3 years ago, Xbox One wasn’t able to pop up a sign in screen when connecting to public WiFi. But that’s sorted now. I don’t want WiFi, I just need an ethernet connection, thanks though!
DecGG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
3 years later I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever come up with a solution??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (320)
56.94%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (78)
13.88%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (63)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (51)
9.07%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
4.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
3.91%

Watched Threads