username2337287
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Regarding molecular toxicants, I've been doing some research into Benzene, and its effect on biological systems. The majority of intellectual sources regading this molecule, generally introduce degree level explanations, which make it difficult to understand.

How does Benzene cause Aplastic Anemia? Talk about the chemistry behind it?

How does Benzene cause Leukemia?

What chemical and structrual property makes Benzene behave in this way, and become a toxicant?

Any explanations regading the toxicity of Benzene is appreciated, including links to documents and articles.
Thank you.
username2613789
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From some quick reading, it seems benzene is quoted as having a "Colchicine-like effect" in the bone marrow. This means it probably binds to the protein tubulin which normally polymerises to form mitotic spindles (which allow for the separation and shuffling-around of chromosomes during mitosis). This means it is a mitosis inhibitor in the bone marrow.
It isn't then hard to assume that inhibiting mitosis of the stem-cell precursors of hematopoiesis (the likes of which differentiate into red blood cells or leukocytes) will cause anaemia and leukaemia.
username2337287
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by tremen222)
From some quick reading, it seems benzene is quoted as having a "Colchicine-like effect" in the bone marrow. This means it probably binds to the protein tubulin which normally polymerises to form mitotic spindles (which allow for the separation and shuffling-around of chromosomes during mitosis). This means it is a mitosis inhibitor in the bone marrow.
It isn't then hard to assume that inhibiting mitosis of the stem-cell precursors of hematopoiesis (the likes of which differentiate into red blood cells or leukocytes) will cause anaemia and leukaemia.
Such a concise explanation, took forever to understand this. Thank you for providing the starting point for my research, regarding the mechanisms of action of Benzene and anemia etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.84%
No (181)
70.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise