The Student Room Group

Help on Personal Statement for Sixth form!!!! :(

I'm writing my personal statement at the moment to continue to go my schools sixth form...can someone tell me if what i have written so far is okay and how I can improve this?

"A Levels will give me the chance to study my chosen subjects in greater detail and gain a better understanding of what my future career would involve. A-levels are studied to get into higher education and they are also valued by many employers, this can open doors to many opportunities including going to university and this is the path i would like to take.

I chose to apply for " schools name" from experience. During the time i’ve been here, the teacher were very supportive and helpful, i managed to improve a lot in my studies thanks to the time and effort the teachers and students put in to help me. I would love to stay here and continue on to sixth form because i don’t have to spend my time having to adjust to new people and surroundings meaning that i will be able to put all my focus on my studies. This schools has support systems, cross curricular activities and useful programs to aid there students and this shows the amount of interest they have on the students and it is a community that i want to continue to be a part of."

Thanks for the help!

Updated version: A Levels will give me the chance to study my chosen subjects in greater detail and gain a better understanding of what my future career would involve, this can open doors to many opportunities including going to university and this is the path i would like to take.

I chose to apply for "School" from experience. During the time i’ve been here, the teacher were very supportive and helpful, i managed to improve a lot in my studies thanks to the time and effort the teachers and students put in to help me. I would love to stay here because this school provides the students a fantastic learning environments and a range of useful facilities which I feel will be highly beneficial to me. This schools has support systems, cross curricular activities and useful programs to aid there students and this shows the amount of interest they have on the students and it is a community that i want to continue to be a part of. I've always wanted exciting courses in which studying isn't part of a routine but involves various projects and working with people.

( i haven't finished )
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd say that's fine for a start. I'd mention some activities you're interested in outside of school as well, like sports or musical instruments. The school probably doesn't actually care that much about your personal statement at the moment but it's just good practice for personal statements when applying for uni so don't stress too much.
I know this is a little rude, but I would suggest to rewrite it completely....
Especially remove the part about A-level are studied to...and also about the part of not spending time meeting other people.

You should start off with a presentation. Then talk about your GCSE, then continuing your GCSE into a level, why do you like those subject and then talk about why you chooses this particular sixth form.
For the sixth form, I would advice to write stuff like:my friends have been here and had positive experiencd,how you like the school attitude toward student and so on.
Remember your personal statement isn't a homage to your school, it's a homage to you.
I think the JFK quote goes, "don't ask what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".
Follow that example, say how you will be "an invaluable student in their sixth form and they'll be mad to not accept you", not "please accept me because I'm need so much help and I need to be a drain on the school's resources"

Don't stress about it. My school had the same thing and my form tutor later in year 12 told us it means almost nothing, they just want you to get used to writing personal statements.
Original post by YouMadBro!
Remember your personal statement isn't a homage to your school, it's a homage to you.
I think the JFK quote goes, "don't ask what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".
Follow that example, say how you will be "an invaluable student in their sixth form and they'll be mad to not accept you", not "please accept me because I'm need so much help and I need to be a drain on the school's resources"

Don't stress about it. My school had the same thing and my form tutor later in year 12 told us it means almost nothing, they just want you to get used to writing personal statements.

Thanks for the help i'm going to definitely improve this.
Original post by dariopussolo
I know this is a little rude, but I would suggest to rewrite it completely....
Especially remove the part about A-level are studied to...and also about the part of not spending time meeting other people.

You should start off with a presentation. Then talk about your GCSE, then continuing your GCSE into a level, why do you like those subject and then talk about why you chooses this particular sixth form.
For the sixth form, I would advice to write stuff like:my friends have been here and had positive experiencd,how you like the school attitude toward student and so on.

Thanks for being honest... reading back through now i totally agree with you. Thanks for the help.
The one general advice I can give for a personal statement is to craft it into a chronology of events, a sort of intellectual quest. Something like:
"I watched a youtube lecture on X. I was particularly interested on Y from it, so I decided to read a book/scientific paper etc... about it and found out that I could use Z as my EPQ topic. This lead me to improve my skills on A which I understand is an important aspect of "insert your career choice here"."

It is never too late to watch a lecture, read a book or ask an expert about your career choice, and this will not only give you things to talk about in your personal statement, but it will also help you understand your interests better.
Original post by tremen222
The one general advice I can give for a personal statement is to craft it into a chronology of events, a sort of intellectual quest. Something like:
"I watched a youtube lecture on X. I was particularly interested on Y from it, so I decided to read a book/scientific paper etc... about it and found out that I could use Z as my EPQ topic. This lead me to improve my skills on A which I understand is an important aspect of "insert your career choice here"."

It is never too late to watch a lecture, read a book or ask an expert about your career choice, and this will not only give you things to talk about in your personal statement, but it will also help you understand your interests better.

Thank you so much i will definitely include that!

Quick Reply

Latest