The Student Room Group

Oxford E&M, LSE Finance, and UCL

Hey,

I am an international student studying the United States. I was thinking of applying to Oxford's Economics and Management Program, LSE's Finance program, and UCL's Economics. I was just wondering, how competitive am I for each school + program with my following scores and extracurriculars?
AP Microeconomics - 5
AP Macroeconomics - 5
AP US Government and Politics - 5
AP Comparative Government and Politics - 5
AP Statistics - 5
AP Calculus BC - Predicted 5
AP US History - Predicted 5
AP World History - Predicted 5
AP Language & Composition - Predicted 5
AP Chemistry - Predicted 5
SAT Math II Subject Test - 790
SAT Overall - 1490

I have also done 2 internships with 2 major banks, and have read about 15 books on economics, management, and finance.

*** I am aware the deadlines have passed***

Thanks!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
I assume you'd be applying next year (since the deadline has passed).

This sounds like a pretty damn competitive application for US universities, and I think you'd stand a pretty good shot at LSE and UCL based on the grades alone!
Oxford E&M is a little more complicated though. The two most important things to them are the admissions test and interview. You'd have to sit the TSA in November and if you did well, you'd be invited for interview, and passing that you'd get an offer. So it really depends on how you do on those; they're not bothered about extra curriculars, unfortunately, and good grades are a given for them anyways.

Good luck with your application! :smile:
Original post by 430
I assume you'd be applying next year (since the deadline has passed).

Oxford E&M is a little more complicated though. The two most important things to them are the admissions test and interview. You'd have to sit the TSA in November and if you did well, you'd be invited for interview, and passing that you'd get an offer. So it really depends on how you do on those...

I think that's going a bit far. I would say 'Two of the most important things are...' rather than being so prescriptive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
I think that's going a bit far. I would say 'Two of the most important things are...' rather than being so prescriptive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry but I respectfully disagree, of course they take everything into account but considering that Oxford simply aren't all that bothered about extra curricular, the thing they consider the most is their own admissions test (their own means of testing you) and the interview (whether they would like to teach you or not). As for A Levels/qualifications, most applicants have top grades, so they become worse at differentiating between people, and they simply just aren't as bothered about extra curriculars as much, moreso academic prowess (which they test with TSA + interview). That said, reading books and going on internships is good for an interview - you can learn stuff about the subject and it provides a talking point!
Not to say that having good grades isn't important - you're basically assumed to have good grades if you're even considering it - and extra curriculars definitely help develop you in a way more valuable than a uni application; they help develop you as a person. They're just not that important in terms of Oxbridge applications.

Also this is in terms of competitiveness - in other words, OP's chances of getting accepted, and this depends far too heavily on TSA/interview performance to give a straight answer.

EDIT: Just to add, they matter a lot more for applications to US universities is what I've heard. I don't know too much about US applications (compared to UK ones), but it makes me think OP has a really competitive application for top US universities too.
(edited 6 years ago)
I like people who are respectful. 😀

Just to point out that I never included extra-curriculars as being at all important, though super-curriculars are another matter.

Our point of difference therefore lies in the relative importance of an applicant's academic record - compared to the application tests and interviews.

Rather than go back and forth, I wondered how @BrasenoseAdm views the subject? (If not too busy in the wake of offer day!)
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
I like people who are respectful. 😀

Just to point out that I never included extra-curriculars as being at all important, though super-curriculars are another matter.

Our point of difference therefore lies in the relative importance of an applicant's academic record - compared to the application tests and interviews.

Rather than go back and forth, I wondered how @BrasenoseAdm views the subject? (If not too busy in the wake of offer day!)

Glad to have a respectful discussion - your point of view is wholly valid, just slightly different from mine :smile:

Yeah, contacting admissions is a better way to get a more concrete idea of what exactly they weight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending