?
Report 2 years ago
Check my mix tape x
klaythompson7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hmmmmmmmmm, culture by migos was great but not the greatest.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, Illmatic probably.
toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Forest Hill Drive but that is for this decade
LVdon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
college dropout by kanye
username3612318
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the warm up, sideline story close second then born sinner.

basically, j cole is the best.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LVdon)
college dropout by kanye
Defo not.

Too much filler & that's before you count the interludes. 21 tracks, 7 of which are interludes which is a third of the album.
username3612318
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
Forest Hill Drive but that is for this decade
that album was his second worst, IMO
toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PEking)
that album was his second worst, IMO
what was his best album in your opinion
LVdon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Defo not.

Too much filler & that's before you count the interludes. 21 tracks, 7 of which are interludes which is a third of the album.
Illmatic has 10 songs whats your point?

You may be right, but I dont feel like this is a good enough reason.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LVdon)
Illmatic has 10 songs whats your point?
But how many of them are filler? Would the album lose quality if you removed any one of those songs? All of them have their place on the record and there isn't a second wasted on it.

My point wasn't that The College Dropout was short, it was that it was padded out with a load of ****e that simply didn't need to be on the album.

It has about 5 great songs and the rest is forgettable, seriously.

You may be right, but I dont feel like this is a good enough reason.
If we're arguing over the best record in Hip-Hop, ever, of all time, then the bar is set high, so I can ignore albums that have flaws and TCD has a few of them. It's arguably not even Kanye's best album tbh.
LVdon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But how many of them are filler? Would the album lose quality if you removed any one of those songs? All of them have their place on the record and there isn't a second wasted on it.

My point wasn't that The College Dropout was short, it was that it was padded out with a load of ****e that simply didn't need to be on the album.

It has about 5 great songs and the rest is forgettable, seriously.

If we're arguing over the best record in Hip-Hop, ever, of all time, then the bar is set high, so I can ignore albums that have flaws and TCD has a few of them. It's arguably not even Kanye's best album tbh.
5 good songs? Nah now you're just mocking it. Perhaps you're right, but your argument seems too face value.

Illmatic is an amazing album but it seems to be the most dead standard critic based answer.

If I was to change my answer, id say enter the wu tang or low end theory or good kid maad city (new school) or MBDTF

I hate this question honestly. The idea that theres one supreme album is just stupid
LVdon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
honestly if you're saying anything from j cole then get in the bin.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LVdon)
5 good songs? Nah now you're just mocking it. Perhaps you're right, but your argument seems too face value.
All Falls Down
Through the Wire
Jesus Walks
Slow Jamz
Never Let Me Down

Are the highlights. You might include School Spirit and Family Business if you're being generous but everything else is average. It's still like a 7/10 album with it's flaws, so it's not as if I'm saying it's bad. It's a good album.

Illmatic is an amazing album but it seems to be the most dead standard critic based answer.
It's an obvious choice but it is also a landmark album with some of the best production and rapping on a Hip-Hop record ever. I honestly think it's close to perfect. Sometimes in music you get popular opinions that are actually correct and when Illmatic is put forward as possibly the best album from Hip-Hop, this is one of those times.

If I was to change my answer, id say enter the wu tang or low end theory or good kid maad city (new school) or MBDTF

I hate this question honestly. The idea that theres one supreme album is just stupid
It is quite a subjective question yes.
username3612318
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
what was his best album in your opinion
best album: sideline story
best mixtape: the warm up

to me, J cole is one of the greatest storytellers ever, other than the song about his virginity and note to self the album wasn't really that storytelling.

what makes you like forest hills drive? ofc it getting platinum without any features does signal it being a great album, which dont get me wrong it is, but i don't think its his best.
LVdon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All Falls Down
Through the Wire
Jesus Walks
Slow Jamz
Never Let Me Down

Are the highlights. You might include School Spirit and Family Business if you're being generous but everything else is average. It's still like a 7/10 album with it's flaws, so it's not as if I'm saying it's bad. It's a good album.
Fair enough. I disagree , I think we dont care, get em high and a couple others are good too although you're right in that those ones are the ones that aged well.

It's an obvious choice but it is also a landmark album with some of the best production and rapping on a Hip-Hop record ever. I honestly think it's close to perfect. Sometimes in music you get popular opinions that are actually correct and when Illmatic is put forward as possibly the best album from Hip-Hop, this is one of those times.
Yeah you're right. Ive personally always liked the "slow" flow that comes with older hip hop, particularly a tribes called quest so I didnt really connect with illmatic but i can certainly appreciate it. Production was definitely a notch up, Ive never really managed to appreciate its significance though
bad bunny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
general admission - mgk

sO gOoD
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LVdon)
Fair enough. I disagree , I think we dont care, get em high and a couple others are good too although you're right in that those ones are the ones that aged well.
Through The Wire is one of my favourite tracks ever tbh.

Yeah you're right. Ive personally always liked the "slow" flow that comes with older hip hop, particularly a tribes called quest so I didnt really connect with illmatic but i can certainly appreciate it. Production was definitely a notch up, Ive never really managed to appreciate its significance though
If I was only considering production I'd pick The Chronic but that is ruined a bit by those two silly interludes ($20 Sack Pyramid/Doctor's Office). If he hadn't put those on, it would probably be my favourite Hip-Hop album. Funny the first time you hear them but the joke is over if you want to listen to the album all the way through.

Tracks 1-9 are immense though. So good.
WUTANGCLAN
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get Rich or Die Tryin. Not a single skippable song. What do you think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
60.44%
No (36)
39.56%

Watched Threads