FrankieRedd
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
We've been close for ages but something that's been annoying me for a little while is that they're never satisfied unless something is perfect. I've never really been a straight A student due to disabilities and I'm not all that bothered by it, I think there's more to life than your academic ability and while I do my best in my exams I don't really worry too much. My problem is with my friend, they constantly get 90% in all their mocks, and have never failed anything, but are never satisfied. They always talk about how they wished they'd got 100% when they got 99%, and about how they really don't want to get anything below an A because that would mean they're stupid. This really angers and hurts me. I know it's not envy because as I stated earlier, I'm not bothered about grades, it's just exasperating and feels a bit like they're calling me an idiot too. This is almost a daily ritual.

Does anyone else have this kind of friend? Any advice to help them with this, because it seems to make them miserable? Any conversation with them over this tends to end with either "this is the way I am, deal with it", which is true, or ends in some kind of humble bragging. Advice from people who have had this kind of friend on how they dealt with this? Or am I just being too sensitive?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FrankieRedd)
We've been close for ages but something that's been annoying me for a little while is that they're never satisfied unless something is perfect. I've never really been a straight A student due to disabilities and I'm not all that bothered by it, I think there's more to life than your academic ability and while I do my best in my exams I don't really worry too much. My problem is with my friend, they constantly get 90% in all their mocks, and have never failed anything, but are never satisfied. They always talk about how they wished they'd got 100% when they got 99%, and about how they really don't want to get anything below an A because that would mean they're stupid. This really angers and hurts me. I know it's not envy because as I stated earlier, I'm not bothered about grades, it's just exasperating and feels a bit like they're calling me an idiot too. This is almost a daily ritual.

Does anyone else have this kind of friend? Any advice to help them with this, because it seems to make them miserable? Any conversation with them over this tends to end with either "this is the way I am, deal with it", which is true, or ends in some kind of humble bragging. Advice from people who have had this kind of friend on how they dealt with this? Or am I just being too sensitive?
Tbh they sound a bit socially awkward - not sensitive on your part. It must not only get annoying but just a boring topic in general.

Either try changing the subject or laughing it off or being honest with them about it. If none of those things work.. new friend time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise