best way to takelecture notes at Uni??

Watch
kaatemor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
im starting uni this year and im not sure what the best way to take lecture notes is. I want to be able to remember and study my notes for exams and assignments so i want them to be effeicent notes. Is it a waste of time to rewite/resummarise notes after a lecture? I thought about taking notes off lecture powerpoint slides before/after lecture and then during the lecture writing notes on what the proffeser is saying. Any tips??
Epitype
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This was a problem that I had for the first term at university. I would go to the lectures, start making notes and then fall back because the lecturer was going too fast. Therefore, I came up with a plan.
I would either, go to the lecture with notes taken down from the PowerPoint presentations online beforehand, and then make extra notes of things that the lecturer explains and is not on the slides. I used to try and finish my work a day ahead of the lecture, so I would always go to the next lecture with pre-made notes.
Or, I would go to the lecture, make my notes as fast as possible, anything I miss, I would leave space on my page by estimating the amount of space needed to write, and then go back to my room, watch the lecture capture, and then finish what I missed. I use this method now, since term 2 has a lot more work involved.
It really depends on how much time I have, how much work I have left and if I'm bothered or not.
You won't be able to write all lecture notes down during the lecture, you will ultimately miss out key information while writing, or give up half way. Use powerpoints/lecture capture to your advantage.
Paulington
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless you can write extremely fast, there's no way you'll keep up with the notes.

I personally take my notepad + lecture slides from Blackboard and write down any extraneous information in my notepad. After that I "write" the notes like I would have done had I had the time in the lecture itself, and then I further condense the notes into digital form in Google Docs.

This means I essentially "do" the work three times, and when exam time comes around I have digital copies of all my notes to go over again just in case. But this is quite time intensive (essentially triples the time spent on that particular lecture) but helps with retention further down the line.

No matter what, I think it's fair to say that near exam time you will be cramming and going over notes as much as possible, so taking the time to get them condensed and neat is worth it. .
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sometimes my lecturers were nice enough to print out copies of the lecture slides themselves but this is a rarity. I'd personally only jot down the extra information the lecturer says that isn't on the slide, then download the lecture and read over the slides when I got back home, adding the additional notes. It's much better listening in lectures rather than scribbling down everything on the board.
Rest in Pizza
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I take my laptop and type up additional notes on the relevant slides
username2858058
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sit in the lecture. Dont write anything down. Just turn your recording device on and just sit there

After lecture ends, go home and listen to the recordings with lecture slides open on your laptop. Then make notes.

This is if the module aint being recorded. If the module is being recorded, dont bother attending lectures. Waste of time. Just sit home and watch them online
mattm08
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I use MS one note on my laptop to take lectures. I can touch type fairly accurately with speed (thanks misguided youth on msn messenger) and it allows me to organise notes by module and date. Check to see if your uni provides a free MS office package that includes it through office 365 and your university email. Luckily all my lecture slides are also uploaded online afterwards as well to fill in any blanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads