The Student Room Group

What subject has the worst new specification?

I would say English Lit. There is no reason why it has to be closed book, especially with the poems.
Reply 1
Original post by Goldfish4343
I would say English Lit. There is no reason why it has to be closed book, especially with the poems.

all of English is hard for me
anything with formulae- physics, especially:frown:
Original post by caymen
all of English is hard for me

I done the new spec last year for English and what helped me was putting post it notes with quotes on on the walls. For poetry you only need to know 5 poems inside out that all habe different themes and the rest you only need to know a lil bit (for example context and the meaning of the poem). It will get easier eventually
Reply 4
Original post by xshannon_heslopx
I done the new spec last year for English and what helped me was putting post it notes with quotes on on the walls. For poetry you only need to know 5 poems inside out that all habe different themes and the rest you only need to know a lil bit (for example context and the meaning of the poem). It will get easier eventually

I'm at colege and only have todo language u got any English language techniques I can use please
I completed my GCSEs last year but from what I have heard,languages are probably the hardest (French, Spanish and German etc) because last year 60% of our GCSE was coursework. If it wasn't for my coursework, I would have failed German
Reply 6
Original post by entertainmyfaith
anything with formulae- physics, especially:frown:

hated science
I completed my GCSEs last year but from what I have heard,languages are probably the hardest (French, Spanish and German etc) because last year 60% of our GCSE was coursework. If it wasn't for my coursework, I would have failed German

60%?! you're bloody lucky, i'm doing french and my exams are this year.

I don't find it hard. I just find it pointless.
So back in the day you were allowed to take your texts into the exam for English Lit?
literature was my strongest but I think i did okay in language too. The thing that helped me the most was just constantly revisiting past papers and finding extracts and looking at all the language features, structural features and form. The more papers you do, the better your timings will be. Ask your teacher to mark them and help with improvements. Good luck!
Original post by Goldfish4343
I don't find it hard. I just find it pointless.

in a level its open book. I don't see why GCSE couldn't be
Original post by entertainmyfaith
60%?! you're bloody lucky, i'm doing french and my exams are this year.
good luck! If it wasn't for coursework I would have got a D which I think is like a 4 for the grade boundaries you have. Idk about your school but everyone at my school is forced to take a language regardless of their ability and I don't think it is right. I was forced to do a language but that's because I too triple science so I was required to take either French or German as they wanted me to be an EBACC student or something.
Original post by caymen
hated science

I'm doing all three sciences in A level. Literally the biggest mistake I have ever made 😂
Reply 14
I'm doing all three sciences in A level. Literally the biggest mistake I have ever made 😂

cool and how do u motivate yourself
English Lit

Last year it was a right ballache to do very very hard I ended up with a grade 3

I didn’t think I’d pass either English exam and just remembered there’s 4 of them that’s bringing bad memories back

I got a 6 in language somehow so if I can pass you can too

Maths was bad too I thought I was going to get like a grade 2 but got a 5

All the best
Original post by caymen
cool and how do u motivate yourself

I don't very well. Particularly not with physics but I guess if I fail, I cannot get my dream job so that's the only thing that kind of motivates me
good luck! If it wasn't for coursework I would have got a D which I think is like a 4 for the grade boundaries you have. Idk about your school but everyone at my school is forced to take a language regardless of their ability and I don't think it is right. I was forced to do a language but that's because I too triple science so I was required to take either French or German as they wanted me to be an EBACC student or something.

i don't mind languages, i just find them hard :redface: and thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest