Education studies question Watch

username3647908
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey guys! i just wanted to know after i do my Education studies degree can i go straight into primary school teaching? please let me know if you have an answer for me.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Thestudents)
hey guys! i just wanted to know after i do my Education studies degree can i go straight into primary school teaching? please let me know if you have an answer for me.
Nope. Not unless it has (with QTS) written in the title, this is Qualified Teacher Status, which is what you'll need to teach. If you want to be a primary school teacher think about doing a Primary Education degree. Most of these come with QTS attached and are often 4 years long.:yep: Otherwise, you can do a normal degree, followed by a PGCE or PGDE (postgraduate courses) and go into teaching from there.

hope that helps.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Thestudents :hello:

04MR17 is spot on with their reply (Hi There ).

An Education studies degree would not enable you to teach unless it offers QTS.

I studied an Education degree and it focused more on the theory of education. For example we had four disciplines of Sociology, History, Philosophy and Psychology of education. A Primary Education with QTS course would focus more on pedagogy.

I did however have friends who found it useful to do this course to lay the foundations before they went on to do a Primary PGCE. There are also other options then as some of my friends also went on to PGDE's (post compulsory education) or a PGCE in a secondary subject.

I Hope this helps but of course if you have any further concerns please do give me a shout. I'm happy to share my experiences of an Education Studies course.

Ruth
username3647908
Rep:
?
thank you for that so what other ways are there to getting into teaching i heard of something called "QTLS" what is that about? and do u have to do those tests to do it
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thank you for that so what other ways are there to getting into teaching i heard of something called "QTLS" what is that about? and do u have to do those tests to do it
QLTS is for Further Education teaching. So KS5. What you and I call A Level, or BTEC level 3.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualif...ing_and_Skills

It's the same as QTS (which I spoke about above).

You can get QTS by doing a number of qualifications which offer it. Some degrees offer it. Like "Primary Education (with QTS)" a lot of teachers will have gained QTS through a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). And yes, QTS Professional Skills Tests are something that you'll probably have to do. Normally in Numeracy and Literacy.:yep:

You might want to have a read of this too:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/job...-into-teaching
username3647908
Rep:
?
okay thank u so much, yo have been very helpful
harrietkatie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
JUST to let you know, you can do your education studies for three years, and then apply to become a teacher and you train at the same time. So you are on a salary.
username3647908
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrietkatie)
JUST to let you know, you can do your education studies for three years, and then apply to become a teacher and you train at the same time. So you are on a salary.
Ohhh okay, thank you
Rhea34_C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hi I want to do education studies because it sounds interesting and I'm looking to become a teacher - not sure whether it will be primary school or secondary. say I want to become a primary school tecaher what degree do i take after education studies and same for secondary?
username3647908
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
you have to do a PGCE which allows you to be a qualified teacher bc it has QTS in as well
Rhea34_C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
So can I not do education studies as a undergrad and then do pgce at postgrad?
username3647908
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
yeah, you can
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%