odwerd
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wondering if there would be any courses/schools or any general extra-curricular activities that would be helpful to enhance my UCAS application for economics and give me a realistic chance of getting into my desired University?
Thank you!
sam10000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
barclays life skills, allows you to have work experiance in a bank, which will give you alot to discuss in your personal statement
odwerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by sam10000)
barclays life skills, allows you to have work experiance in a bank, which will give you alot to discuss in your personal statement
Thank you for the prompt reply! I'll have a look!
sam10000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by odwerd)
Thank you for the prompt reply! I'll have a look!
np.
You can also do NCS trip over summer, which is charity work and gives you 50 UCAS points.
murphyclo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Volunteering of any form always looks good on an application. It shows that you have interests out with academia, and allows you to develop skills universities like to see in their students such as intuition and leadership. If you're living in Scotland, you can log your hours of volunteering through the Saltire Award's Scheme, which is an achievement you can discuss in terms of how many hours of volunteering you have undertaken.

Work experience relevant to your course is always useful too - perhaps you could contact some local firms with interest in shadowing their work. It shows that you have a deeper understanding of what the course might lead to, and demonstrates a higher level of commitment!

Best of luck in your application, I hope you are able to get a place at your desired university!
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by odwerd)
Just wondering if there would be any courses/schools or any general extra-curricular activities that would be helpful to enhance my UCAS application for economics and give me a realistic chance of getting into my desired University?
Thank you!
Being able to make links with your work experience and theories of economics can show that you can apply your knowledge.

Remember that you are applying to an academic course so keep it about 75% academic and 25% other. So don't worry too much if you don't have much to say about the extra-curricular activities. Just make sure that you demonstrate you really want to study economics.
odwerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by murphyclo)
Volunteering of any form always looks good on an application. It shows that you have interests out with academia, and allows you to develop skills universities like to see in their students such as intuition and leadership. If you're living in Scotland, you can log your hours of volunteering through the Saltire Award's Scheme, which is an achievement you can discuss in terms of how many hours of volunteering you have undertaken.

Work experience relevant to your course is always useful too - perhaps you could contact some local firms with interest in shadowing their work. It shows that you have a deeper understanding of what the course might lead to, and demonstrates a higher level of commitment!

Best of luck in your application, I hope you are able to get a place at your desired university!
Thank you so much for your response! I will look into all of the mentioned methods above!
odwerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by aamirac)
Being able to make links with your work experience and theories of economics can show that you can apply your knowledge.

Remember that you are applying to an academic course so keep it about 75% academic and 25% other. So don't worry too much if you don't have much to say about the extra-curricular activities. Just make sure that you demonstrate you really want to study economics.
Thank you! I will keep this in mind!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
np.
You can also do NCS trip over summer, which is charity work and gives you 50 UCAS points.
NCS isn’t a qualification and isn’t listed on https://www.ucas.com/file/63541/download?token=uz826-Cb

It doesn’t attract tariff points.

———

OP
Follow your academic interests outside your school work. Read blogs, articles, books. Watch documentaries, lectures. Listen to podcasts. Take a free mooc if it’s something you’re interested in.

Go to university open days and speak to staff and students.

Read the details of the courses you’re applying to on each university website (courses with the same name can be very different). Look at which staff teach on the course. Read about what their research interests are.
ANJXLA
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
np.

NCS does not give you UCAS points
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (697)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (875)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads