I wanna drop out of a levels pls help

Watch
laurennpatterson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically I want to drop out because I am struggling so so much. In GCSE’s I struggled a lot and it probably wasn’t wise for me to go onto AS Level because I’ve discovered that GCSEs are way easier than A Levels. I have moved to a new school for my a Levels because my old school only had 2 choices of a levels and I didn’t want to stay there. In my new school, I like it, it’s just very big. I’m rambelling, sorry.

Before Christmas I was told that I had been placed on the SEN register. I had told my old school many many times that I thought there was something wrong with my learning ability but they didn’t believe me and they said they tested me (they didn’t) but my new school did and they have a serious concern for me. I haven’t yet been told what is wrong exactly but all I know is that I struggle a lot.

THE RELAVENT PART:
So at the start of the year, I was doing ok, I was motivated slightly but I wasn’t pushed. The subjects I am studying are:
Double & Single award Health and Social Care
Religion.
At the start of the year I was doing history but then I dropped it and changed to religon which I deeply regret. I don’t understand anything and the teachers aren’t much of a help either.

Nearly every day I cry because I literally cannot cope with my a Levels, I find them too challenging. There is too much content and I’m not able to process half of it.

I want to drop out and do some other course, but I don’t know what. There’s always a path to where you want to get to, it takes a little longer. When I’m older I want to be a veterinary nurse but I can’t becuase I wasn’t alllowed to do A Level biology as I didn’t do double award science for GCSE however I got an A in single awards science biology. That has had a major impact on my career as you definitely 100% need biology to do veterinary. So far the only route is to pay to do online schooling for a level biology which is £550 and I am a 16 year old full time education, part time job girl and don’t have that kind of money!

There is no alternative to this but I don’t want to be a school drop out with no plan on what to do next. A Levels are just too much for me to handle and I can see myself failing them when I get my results in August.

Please give me some advice!
Nil Admirari
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by laurennpatterson)
Basically I want to drop out because I am struggling so so much. In GCSE’s I struggled a lot and it probably wasn’t wise for me to go onto AS Level because I’ve discovered that GCSEs are way easier than A Levels. I have moved to a new school for my a Levels because my old school only had 2 choices of a levels and I didn’t want to stay there. In my new school, I like it, it’s just very big. I’m rambelling, sorry.

Before Christmas I was told that I had been placed on the SEN register. I had told my old school many many times that I thought there was something wrong with my learning ability but they didn’t believe me and they said they tested me (they didn’t) but my new school did and they have a serious concern for me. I haven’t yet been told what is wrong exactly but all I know is that I struggle a lot.

THE RELAVENT PART:
So at the start of the year, I was doing ok, I was motivated slightly but I wasn’t pushed. The subjects I am studying are:
Double & Single award Health and Social Care
Religion.
At the start of the year I was doing history but then I dropped it and changed to religon which I deeply regret. I don’t understand anything and the teachers aren’t much of a help either.

Nearly every day I cry because I literally cannot cope with my a Levels, I find them too challenging. There is too much content and I’m not able to process half of it.

I want to drop out and do some other course, but I don’t know what. There’s always a path to where you want to get to, it takes a little longer. When I’m older I want to be a veterinary nurse but I can’t becuase I wasn’t alllowed to do A Level biology as I didn’t do double award science for GCSE however I got an A in single awards science biology. That has had a major impact on my career as you definitely 100% need biology to do veterinary. So far the only route is to pay to do online schooling for a level biology which is £550 and I am a 16 year old full time education, part time job girl and don’t have that kind of money!

There is no alternative to this but I don’t want to be a school drop out with no plan on what to do next. A Levels are just too much for me to handle and I can see myself failing them when I get my results in August.

Please give me some advice!
From a 2 minute google search, i think you don't need A-levels to be a veterinary nurse, the organisation blue cross for pets has a helpful page which i implore you to take a look at.

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/how-bec...terinary-nurse

On the website it states that you need minimum 5 GCSE's at Grade C or above including english and maths or An animal nursing assistant (ANA) or veterinary care assistant (VCA) qualification, along with functional skills level two in application of number and communication. In order to qualify for...
The current veterinary nursing qualification which is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeon’s (RCVS) level three diploma in veterinary nursing in order to be qualified.

Then you have 3 options:
1) Take an apprenticeship a full time basis or apprenticeship-style alongside a job in a veterinary practice. It takes between two and three years to qualify.
2)Some universities offer a foundation or BSc honours degree in veterinary nursing too – contact them directly for entry requirements and prospectuses.
3) Get the qualification from a college course as long as it is approved by RCVS

To qualify as a veterinary nurse you must:

-Be enrolled as a student veterinary nurse with the RCVS.

-Attend college-based study for a minimum of 22 weeks over the period of training before exams are sat – usually two years. The college must be approved by the RCVS.

-Complete a minimum of 60 full time weeks of practical experience within an RCVS registered training practice.

-Compile an electronic nursing progress log (NPL) which provides a complete record of the clinical skills you have learned throughout your training.

-Pass written multiple choice question exams in the theory of veterinary nursing.

-Pass a practical exam in veterinary nursing skills.

Once you’re qualified you’ll need to pay an annual registration fee to the RCVS in order to undertake certain privileges under the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 Schedule Three Amendment Order 2002.
I hope this helps, if it did and you want to say thanks then by all means rep me lad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (111)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (51)
12.91%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (79)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.87%
No - I live at home during term anyway (115)
29.11%

Watched Threads