The Student Room Group

was my drink spiked?

So last friday, me and some of my friends went out clubbing, nothing was unusual about that. I had 2 drinks at pre-drinks, and then at the club i had 2 jaeger bombs and was a bit tipsy, but sober enough to decide to switch to water to be able to help my friends if they needed me. I remember getting the water, and having a few sips of it, and then nothing. The next thing I remember is waking up at about 6am in the local hospital on a drip, with one of my flatmates sat next to the bed.
Apparently, when I was dancing with a friend, I collapsed and ended up being thrown out of the club because they thought i was drunk, and outside I woke up long enough to be sick before I passed out again. An ambulance ended up being called and by about 1am i was on a drip, and by 2 I was on a hospital ward (we had to wait outside in the ambulance for an hour waiting for a bed). We ended up leaving hospital at about 8, and I spent most of the rest of that day feeling fairly dizzy and disorientated.
It's all really confusing to me, I still can't remember anything past drinking the water, and my friends that were with me that night don't remember me having a lot of drinks, and when I got the water I only had money for one more drink on me, so if I did get really drunk I have no idea how as I couldn't buy anymore drinks, and no one in my group remembers buying me a drink.
My flatmate that spent the night in hospital watching over me, is really annoyed with me for being sick on him, and for passing out and meaning that the first night out of the year when everyone was free was spent in a hospital ward watching me sleep. He's told me he's no longer drinking with me, and if i drink around him in the flat, he's going to leave the room, and the group we were with have told me I can't come on nights out with them, at least for a little while, as they don't want the responsibility after what happened. So they're all really annoyed, and while they agree that they don't think I got that drunk on my own, they still don't want much to do with me after the drama i caused. They're pretty much my only friends and I live with several of them and I don't know what to do.
Any advice?
Reply 1
A similar thing happened to me in my final year of uni, however I was lucky enough to have the support of a close friend. I had two drinks and I don't remember anything from drinking the 2nd drink to waking up the following morning. Annoyingly, it is so hard to prove that your drink was spiked. I contacted the police who told me to report it to the club, but the club said their CCTV wouldn't show anything anyway. So I contacted the NHS to try and get some tests done, but they said the drug would have left my system by the time they could do the tests on me. From the symptoms I described over the phone they thought it was ketamine though. It's a scary experience and if your friends aren't supporting you, I suppose you have to question if they are true friends? Maybe give them some time, see if they realise they have made a bad judgement of the situation. And if nothing changes, then I suppose they have shown themselves not to be good friends. Were you with someone, a friend, throughout the whole night?
Reply 2
Original post by tashjane
A similar thing happened to me in my final year of uni, however I was lucky enough to have the support of a close friend. I had two drinks and I don't remember anything from drinking the 2nd drink to waking up the following morning. Annoyingly, it is so hard to prove that your drink was spiked. I contacted the police who told me to report it to the club, but the club said their CCTV wouldn't show anything anyway. So I contacted the NHS to try and get some tests done, but they said the drug would have left my system by the time they could do the tests on me. From the symptoms I described over the phone they thought it was ketamine though. It's a scary experience and if your friends aren't supporting you, I suppose you have to question if they are true friends? Maybe give them some time, see if they realise they have made a bad judgement of the situation. And if nothing changes, then I suppose they have shown themselves not to be good friends. Were you with someone, a friend, throughout the whole night?

My friends ended up coming round to support me, but still question whether I may have had drinks and forgotten about it, and yeah I get what you mean about it being so hard to prove, the week it happened to me, 3 other girls in my year had a similar thing happen and the club said they couldn't do anything about it. And I was with my friends throughout the whole night but was switching from the small groups we'd split into throughout the night apparently
Reply 3
The most common drug to put in someone's drink is probably rohypnol (the "date rape" drug). It's usually in pill form. You'd need to have something open at the top - a glass/cup/bottle with a wide neck as you'd struggle to get the pill in a bottle with a sports cap, for instance, with any degree of subtlety, and you'd have to have your back turned long enough for them to put the pill in and for it to dissolve. Rohypnol also tastes really salty, so if you'd switched to water by then it would have tasted like a sip of seawater.
Reply 4
Original post by Jazz76
My friends ended up coming round to support me, but still question whether I may have had drinks and forgotten about it, and yeah I get what you mean about it being so hard to prove, the week it happened to me, 3 other girls in my year had a similar thing happen and the club said they couldn't do anything about it. And I was with my friends throughout the whole night but was switching from the small groups we'd split into throughout the night apparently

It's good that you weren't left alone at any point, especially if you can't remember most of it. So are things better now with your friends?
Reply 5
Original post by tashjane
It's good that you weren't left alone at any point, especially if you can't remember most of it. So are things better now with your friends?

Yeah I'm glad about that too, and yeah things are a lot better with them now, they're still wary of me drinking in case a similar thing happens again but other than that we seem to have moved past it

Quick Reply

Latest