What happens at the end of your policy with a black box?

Watch
JoeL14489
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am coming up to the end of my policy and I was wondering, at the end of the policy do my current insurance come out and remove the black box or do they deactivate it?
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It spontaneously combusts. Leave the car. Save yourself!

No - it idles in the car and stops transmitting information. You will need to pay for its' removal, this should have been explained to you in your terms, so review your policy docs as the price will be in there too (ranges from around £90 to £200 depending on who)
JoeL14489
Rep:
?
(Original post by nevershear)
It spontaneously combusts. Leave the car. Save yourself!

No - it idles in the car and stops transmitting information. You will need to pay for its' removal, this should have been explained to you in your terms, so review your policy docs as the price will be in there too (ranges from around £90 to £200 depending on who)
I have had read mixed things about it Admiral says that you just leave it and they deactivate it but I am with Tesco there is nothing on the policy docs saying that they deactivate or that they come out to remove it.
CleverSquirrel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
with mine, they deactivated it after three months, but that was with Bell. You could call up ask your company because each company is different
JoeL14489
Rep:
?
(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
with mine, they deactivated it after three months, but that was with Bell. You could call up ask your company because each company is different

Ye that isn't a bad shout, did you go for no black box for the next year?
laurenpain98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=JoeL14489;75615730] You have to take it out yourself, im having the same problem now!
qasim-96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
I had the same policy with Bell a couple of years ago. Literally only had the black box for 3 months.
JoeL14489
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=laurenpain98;75616586]
(Original post by JoeL14489)
You have to take it out yourself, im having the same problem now!
So they just deactivate it and you have to take it out yourself? The engineer that came to fit mine told me to go back in my house while he installed it so I couldn't see where he fitted it.
CleverSquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ye that isn't a bad shout, did you go for no black box for the next year?
actually when i got the insurance they didnt tell me that they'd fit a box in, a few weeks later it came through the post and i was hella confused. Then three months later they emailed me to tell me to post it back and they reduced my insurance down a hundred pounds!
CleverSquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by qasim-96)
I had the same policy with Bell a couple of years ago. Literally only had the black box for 3 months.
yeah thats the one i had! thank god not any more
laurenpain98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thats exactly what they did with me, I have had 2 and the 1st one I did myself the second they fitted and now I have to find how to take it out myself
laurenpain98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thats exactly what they did with me, I have had 2 and the 1st one I did myself the second they fitted and now I have to find how to take it out myselfImage
JoeL14489
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurenpain98)
Thats exactly what they did with me, I have had 2 and the 1st one I did myself the second they fitted and now I have to find how to take it out myselfImage
So you're with Tescos as well?
laurenpain98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im with Co-op youg driver's
nevershear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=JoeL14489;75616666]
(Original post by laurenpain98)

So they just deactivate it and you have to take it out yourself? The engineer that came to fit mine told me to go back in my house while he installed it so I couldn't see where he fitted it.
I wouldn't touch it personally, if you damage anything when removing it (hard to know how it was installed); you can't then blame it on them; you'll be paying for any repairs. Better to call whoevers responsible for the box (for example, for Co-Op it's Quartix, ask Tesco or check old emails to find the installer if unsure) and pay for them to do it. Take diagnostics before and after, that way if anything's broken - they're paying.
JoeL14489
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=nevershear;75618720]

I wouldn't touch it personally, if you damage anything when removing it (hard to know how it was installed); you can't then blame it on them; you'll be paying for any repairs. Better to call whoevers responsible for the box (for example, for Co-Op it's Quartix, ask Tesco or check old emails to find the installer if unsure) and pay for them to do it. Take diagnostics before and after, that way if anything's broken - they're paying.

I rang my insurance last night and they said they I don't need to take it out as they can just deactivate it and it will not change anything
nevershear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=JoeL14489;75634576]
(Original post by nevershear)

I rang my insurance last night and they said they I don't need to take it out as they can just deactivate it and it will not change anything
As I said previously, it sits idle at the end of the policy. Your question was about removing it.
Stevenmidlands9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do they insure the car and let you drive it before the black box is fitted?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Stevenmidlands9)
Do they insure the car and let you drive it before the black box is fitted?
Yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (596)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (730)
41.6%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (350)
19.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.5%

Watched Threads