applying for two courses at the same uni Watch

trackaddict
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hi, just a question for those who have applied for two different courses at the same uni - how did you do your personal statement? is there a way you can do 2 statements, one for each course, on ucas?

also for ucas extra, do you need a ps?

thanks
Ancient18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No you can't do two statements, basically it depends on how similar the two courses are, in my case it was between computer science and ITO which are rather similar so I wrote a more general statement. On the other hand if you were to apply for Engineering and Law at the same uni I wouldn't know how youd do it :-p.

But in general admisisons tutors like to see people who have a passion for THEIR subject so you should make sure you convey that in your statement.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can read all about personal statements in UCAS Extra on the wiki
trackaddict
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
You can read all about personal statements in UCAS Extra on the wiki
oh thanks for that!

have applied for maths with spanish, but was thinking of maybe sending a mail to the uni saying i wouldnt mind chem with spanish either, as the entry requirements are lower...

i mentioned chem a bit in my statement, but only a short paragraph

anyway thanks again
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just think about what you've said there.

(Original post by trackaddict)
i wouldnt mind chem with spanish either, as the entry requirements are lower...
In one small sentence, you've told me (or the uni, if you'd sent that!) that not only are you indecisive, you're also not good enough for the other course.

You've got to believe that you can get an offer, and that you are good enough. Because if you don't, no one will. If you're going for something else just because it's easier think about what that says to the uni.

Of course, I'm sure you've got a better reason for wanting chem/spanish. But do make sure you say that.
trackaddict
Rep:
?
yeah lol, it's not JUST because the grade requirements are lower! tbh, i'm genuinely interested in both maths & chem, would prefer to do maths, but wouldnt mind doing chem either...it's just that i know maths is a more popular choice

there's actually a whole range of courses that i would enjoy (but i'm happy with my choices)!:laugh:
~tifa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I applied for Biomedical Sciences and Chemistry with Bioscience at Cardiff University but based my personal statment on mainly Biomedical sciences. Although I did talk about chemistry when I was talking about the knowledge I gained from subjects at A'levels (which included Chemistry)

You cant do two personal statements though. o.o
Evizu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Only 1 personal statement and there will usually be similar course that you are applying for right?
limechateaux
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I applied for Development Studies and Arabic and Politics and Development Studies at the same university. (SOAS)
And I've gotten an offer for Development Studies and Arabic, nothing for the other one so far, however I feel like I did mention my love for Politics more than Arabic, since I just wrote about my learning Mandarin as my only 'language'-related thing.
So that's good hehe if they're related should be able to put it into your personal statement pretty well. In fact, I mentioned none of my courses specifically because I've got so many different ones *points at signature* but they're quite closely related so it should be okay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads