A-Level choices best suited for International Relations

Watch this thread
Hannay(FTGI)
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am hoping that a person who is or has taken their degree in International Relations can tell me which A-Levels are best suited and which ones will set you up best for the course ahead.

Which A-Levels, looking back, do you think you should have studied and regret not doing so. Which ones did you study that you thought may have helped at the time, but in fact did not at all or you felt were a waste of a subject.

Thanks!
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hannay(FTGI))
Hi,

I am hoping that a person who is or has taken their degree in International Relations can tell me which A-Levels are best suited and which ones will set you up best for the course ahead.

Which A-Levels, looking back, do you think you should have studied and regret not doing so. Which ones did you study that you thought may have helped at the time, but in fact did not at all or you felt were a waste of a subject.

Thanks!
I don't study IR personally (I do politics, but I know a lot of people who do).

The A-levels the majority have are History, Geography and Politics.

One or two did sociology, but not all schools offer that.
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
I don't study IR personally (I do politics, but I know a lot of people who do).

The A-levels the majority have are History, Geography and Politics.

One or two did sociology, but not all schools offer that.
thanks for the response!
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thanks!
I am a first year International Relations student

These are the best suited A-levels for International Relations, in my opinion:
- Government and Politics
- History
- Sociology
- Foreign languages (French, German, Arabic, Japanese, etc)
- Philosophy
- Geography
- Economics

English Literature, classical languages like Latin, Religious Studies, Classical Civilisation, Psychology, and Maths work too, but they are not necessary. I myself studied Government and Politics, English Literature, Sociology, and Psychology. Out of them, I would say Sociology has been the most useful A-level so far.
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
I am a first year International Relations student

These are the best suited A-levels for International Relations, in my opinion:
- Government and Politics
- History
- Sociology
- Foreign languages (French, German, Arabic, Japanese, etc)
- Philosophy
- Geography
- Economics

English Literature, classical languages like Latin, Religious Studies, Classical Civilisation, Psychology, and Maths work too, but they are not necessary. I myself studied Government and Politics, English Literature, Sociology, and Psychology. Out of them, I would say Sociology has been the most useful A-level so far.
So which uni did you go to in the end? Are you still with the same opinion that sociology helped you the most? Have you done any work experience yet and do you have any regrets at all and where do you plan on going after uni job wise?

I'm going to take Eng Lit, Econ and Philosophy, but will be taking them 2020 as I will be going on tour next year (Army).

thanks so much in advance.
Michiyo
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So which uni did you go to in the end? Are you still with the same opinion that sociology helped you the most? Have you done any work experience yet and do you have any regrets at all and where do you plan on going after uni job wise?

I'm going to take Eng Lit, Econ and Philosophy, but will be taking them 2020 as I will be going on tour next year (Army).

thanks so much in advance.
Essex.

Excluding government and politics, yes. I do think taking philosophy and/or economics might have been more helpful, though!

I have not done any work experience yet. :getmecoat:

I have no regrets! :dance:

I would like to apply for a job or internship within an international organisation like the UN or EU or perhaps for the Civil Service.

Solid combination! :five: I wish you the best of luck in your A-levels and army time :hugs:

You are more than welcome :lovehug:
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
Essex.

Excluding government and politics, yes. I do think taking philosophy and/or economics might have been more helpful, though!

I have not done any work experience yet. :getmecoat:

I have no regrets! :dance:

I would like to apply for a job or internship within an international organisation like the UN or EU or perhaps for the Civil Service.

Solid combination! :five: I wish you the best of luck in your A-levels and army time :hugs:

You are more than welcome :lovehug:
That’s surprising that you say government and politics hasn’t helped you because I was really thinking it would be a must for IR.. I guess having good general knowledge in that area would also suffice and it’s also a non-facilitating subject too.
Michiyo
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That’s surprising that you say government and politics hasn’t helped you because I was really thinking it would be a must for IR.. I guess having good general knowledge in that area would also suffice and it’s also a non-facilitating subject too.
Just to clarify, that is not what I meant. Government and Politics did help me a lot. It is just so logical and intuitive that it is helpful for International Relations that I do not count it when thinking of useful A-levels for International Relations (because everyone knows it is useful for this subject).
Hannay(FTGI)
Rep:
Just to clarify, that is not what I meant. Government and Politics did help me a lot. It is just so logical and intuitive that it is helpful for International Relations that I do not count it when thinking of useful A-levels for International Relations (because everyone knows it is useful for this subject).
Oh right ok, I understand you now. You meant it kind of goes without saying that it’s helpful because it’s politics so of course it is haha

So how will you go about getting internships then? Working for those you mentioned would be really great, that’s what I am aiming for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (10)
21.74%
The paper was reasonable (20)
43.48%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
21.74%
It was TERRIBLE (6)
13.04%

Watched Threads