The Student Room Group

Can i get an AUX cord fitted into my car or not?

It's a Volkswagen polo, 2004 model, 1.4l

So my car is a little old polo, but Im fed up of the radio/CD system in it,as it doesnt work and i have to burn CD's every 2 weeks :colonhash:

Is there a way I can get an AUX cord fitted and how could I do this?!

any help / advice will be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I used to have one of those radio transmitters that worked well. connect to the transmitter by bluetooth, then tuen the radio into the transmitter frequency.

Also does hands free calling, but no idea how good the mics are.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XHNHLR2/ref=s9_acsd_zgift_hd_bw_bZmEBT_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=MDSM5MG8C9CEFZC8583W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f9f6165b-185c-5605-bb6f-23337542d690&pf_rd_i=528666031
you just need to change the head unit
Original post by Minty
I used to have one of those radio transmitters that worked well. connect to the transmitter by bluetooth, then tuen the radio into the transmitter frequency.

Also does hands free calling, but no idea how good the mics are.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XHNHLR2/ref=s9_acsd_zgift_hd_bw_bZmEBT_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=MDSM5MG8C9CEFZC8583W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f9f6165b-185c-5605-bb6f-23337542d690&pf_rd_i=528666031

will i be able to connect my phone to it?

my car has an in built handsfree thing so i know the bluetooth works?
just seen the link- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! youre a life saver :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by CleverSquirrel

So my car is a little old polo, but Im fed up of the radio/CD system in it,as it doesnt work and i have to burn CD's every 2 weeks :colonhash:

You can probably get a connector that pretends to be a CD changer and lets you use Aux - something like this should work for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polo-iPhone-player-adapter-interface/dp/B00JEWL414
I have exactly the same car. I just retrofitted in a fancy radio. I now have USB connectivity, AUX, Bluetooth audio and handsfree calling etc
will i be able to connect my phone to it?

my car has an in built handsfree thing so i know the bluetooth works?

The FM transmitter connects to your phone via USB or Bluetooth, and then you have to search for the frequency of the FM transmitter on your radio (just like you would searching for a normal radio). :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
You can probably get a connector that pretends to be a CD changer and lets you use Aux - something like this should work for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polo-iPhone-player-adapter-interface/dp/B00JEWL414

thats so pricey though :redface:

Original post by Paracosm
I have exactly the same car. I just retrofitted in a fancy radio. I now have USB connectivity, AUX, Bluetooth audio and handsfree calling etc

ooh i see, how much did it cost you?

Original post by RoyalSheepy
The FM transmitter connects to your phone via USB or Bluetooth, and then you have to search for the frequency of the FM transmitter on your radio (just like you would searching for a normal radio). :smile:

ahhh i see!! thank you!!!
Reply 9
thats so pricey though :redface:

Is it? :confused:
Original post by IWMTom
Is it? :confused:

as a student imma a wee bit broke at the moment :biggrin: but its something that needs to be done :redface:
Reply 11
as a student imma a wee bit broke at the moment :biggrin: but its something that needs to be done :redface:

Aux should have substantially better audio quality than these FM transceivers, so it's worth the price premium.
Original post by IWMTom
Aux should have substantially better audio quality than these FM transceivers, so it's worth the price premium.

hmmm i see, any brands you recommend? theyre so many :redface:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-TeckNet-Universal-Wireless/dp/B010NI8JL0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516130017&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=radio+transmitter+car&psc=1

I have this one, works perfectly, you can pause, skip songs and It also has a USB port on it so you can charge your phone at the same time. Unless you have super loud music, the quality of these things are fine :smile:

Pretty sure you will need to buy a new stereo
Reply 15
Original post by Liamw1998
Pretty sure you will need to buy a new stereo

This simply isn't the case.
Original post by IWMTom
This simply isn't the case.

Well the options you suggested cost more than some new stereos which would probably improve the quality overall of the sound system. And the product you linked looks cable messy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Liamw1998
Well the options you suggested cost more than some new stereos which would probably improve the quality overall of the sound system. And the product you linked looks cable messy.

What sort of cheapo Chinese tat are you buying for £30 that gives you a new stereo, wiring harnesses, and facias?

Everything would be behind the dash, with just the Aux cable coming out from somewhere convenient - hardly messy!
Original post by IWMTom
What sort of cheapo Chinese tat are you buying for £30 that gives you a new stereo, wiring harnesses, and facias?

Everything would be behind the dash, with just the Aux cable coming out from somewhere convenient - hardly messy!

Just look on Halfords and you can find plenty of stuff similar or less than £35 (stereos), that’s where I got mine and I love it. And where is it going to conveniently come out?

Fm transmitter would be the cheapest I think. It needs to be done, radio music is so **** they have a playlist of like three *****y songs for the entire year. I'll only listen to LBC or my own music.

Quick Reply

Latest