How to decide between a chemistry degree at UCL or York? Watch

Olusia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How to decide between a chemistry degree at UCL or York?
Olusia
Rep:
?
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is important to you?

The content of the course? The prestige of the university? Being on a campus uni (York) or in the middle of a big city? Being in London, for that matter? Location in the country?
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Olusia)
Which course is more interesting?
Olusia
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Which course is more interesting?
Well, at UCL I would be studying Chemistry with Spanish (I love the language) while at York it would be Chemistry with Medicinal chemistry (this module is available at UCL in the extra options). Both are Masters with a year abroad which I would take in a Spanish soeaking country.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, at UCL I would be studying Chemistry with Spanish (I love the language) while at York it would be Chemistry with Medicinal chemistry (this module is available at UCL in the extra options). Both are Masters with a year abroad which I would take in a Spanish soeaking country.
I think that answers your question then as at UCL you will get the best of both worlds with being able to study Spanish and do the med chem module
Olusia
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
What is important to you?

The content of the course? The prestige of the university? Being on a campus uni (York) or in the middle of a big city? Being in London, for that matter? Location in the country?
York is 4 hours away from home, that would be a slight struggle however I love how they treat people as individuals and it is clear that they really care about their students, so I feel like the support there would be greater. As well as the integration of the people and the communities available at the Uni. However, I am a vibrant and outgoing person which is why I htought London was the place for me, seeing as I could not get bored, and it is only an hour 30 from home.
The course is very similar at both universities. Obviously UCL has more prestige.
Olusia
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
I think that answers your question then as at UCL you will get the best of both worlds with being able to study Spanish and do the med chem module
I havent thought about it that way. I guess so.
My only other worry is the fact that York is very individualistic and from the interview I understood that the students are very well integrated and recieve a lot of care and attention. I am not sure whether this is the exact case at UCL, as of its high reputation.....What do you think?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I havent thought about it that way. I guess so.
My only other worry is the fact that York is very individualistic and from the interview I understood that the students are very well integrated and recieve a lot of care and attention. I am not sure whether this is the exact case at UCL, as of its high reputation.....What do you think?
Reputation means nothing. I would think about the course first as that is what will get you a job or not. The rest will fall into place. York is tiny and lovely but UCL is in London. You will interact with a range of different people and unis have loads of support in place generally so I wouldn't worry about that.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It sounds like it's the environment that matters most to you then.

In that case, I would recommend going to offer holder days at both universities to get a feel for the place. Try and work out which one you feel you would be happiest at. Speak to current students if possible.

I study at LSE so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about living and studying in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads