Feel trapped in my job because of an experience and skills shortage

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I feel trapped in my job, which I absolutely hate, and literally just go there to earn money (which I need to pay my rent). I don't even earn that much, probably have enough to just pay my rent.

The job is tedious, I'm on my feet all day, running around at the command of Shift Manager's and their Shift Runner's. These Manager's/Runner's are I'm told [by the Store Manager], "Not supposed to help us during busy hours on the restaurant floor". It is also implied by the corporate culture and some of my Superiors that "Manager's don't manage, they delegate". Which is the thing which makes me most angry - because I don't agree with this. If a job needs doing it needs doing [you do it] - teamwork is of the essence regardless of title.

To me: If your a Manager - you Manage, if you delegate your a "Delegation Officer" or some other title. If you don't manage (to me), your not a Manager.

It is a laughable statement to run a business by, especially since the company places one of its core values on "Teamwork" among its staff!

This rule basically just breeds laziness, and half the time, Manager's are sitting on their backsides in the office. This isn't even getting to the toxicity of the environment.

The Environment:

It's extremely cliquey, with obvious divides between Crew, Crew Trainer's Shift Management and Regional (Senior Upper Management).

Everyone *****es about everyone. You can't trust anyone at all, and people are always looking for a way to scapegoat you and make you look bad. This usually happens when promotion happens, which is sad, because the job isn't exactly well paid at all - the progression is literally a few pence to a quid or two. The farcical thing is that promotion depends on your likability and not work ethic.

We have a lot of anti-social behaviour at our store, and it has drawn media attention. A Crew Member was recently assaulted (wont go into too much detail), but they have told us to not comment to press, and additional to that, when the incident happened the company hasn't reassured us, or done a great deal for the staff. They just tell us to call the Police, and sometimes they don't even turn up.

There is this Supervisor who has been at the company 30 odd years, and believes that the Franchisee is amazing. He isn't to be held accountable for the fact he doesn't want to spend money to have a doorman at the door.

When asked by a subordinate "Why isn't he responsible when he doesn't want to pay the wages for security staff?" She replies "Why should he be responsible? How is it his fault". This angered me because yes, it is his responsibility to keep his workers safe in work. And in him not wanting to pay the small amount it would take, he doesn't want to do so. Ergo - it's his fault. It's his business, he can't just pay attention when the money rolls in.

The Upper Management are pretentious, arrogant and speak to us like trash. The other week one of the Regional Manager's basically scolded me for what was a very trivial mistake, and spoke to me like I was a 2 yo.

Human Resources, is basically my ex-Store Manager whom was just as diabolical as my current Store Manager. She told my partner to "Just be more Happy" in a Back to Work Interview after she had sporadical time off work with Depression. She is an absolute gossip (and was part of the clique) and jobsworth so you just can't go to her with your concerns because she shoots you down and dismisses.

All of this and I am paid minimum wage - scraping by to pay my rent.

I am a uni grad, but struggling to find meaningful work. I've attended interviews, have at least 100 cvs on laptop produced from over the last 3 yrs.

I am taking a Master's degree course but still don't even have experience in that either. I am trying to also build experience, but even that is proving hard.

I had a meeting earlier last week about volunteering, but I just couldn't see myself getting on with the lady. She was okay, but just very in your face, confident and bubbly.

Part of the issue is my confidence and self esteem too. What can I do?
Abcdefghijk123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is this Mcdonalds? And I skim-read it - that does sound like a very unpleasant environment to be in and I’m sorry you’re having to put up with that. I would say that while working there, every single day look online for jobs and send out CVs so you can be out of there as soon as possible. Or get a transfer to another store?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
TBH I would say try and work on the way you see things too. Some things in this are pretty bad like constantly being subjected to aggression... some things are annoying but normal in many low paid jobs e.g. managers being rude... and some things aren't a big deal like managers not helping with the day to day jobs - yes teamwork is important but managers delegate so they can do the other stuff, the behind the scenes work. So rather than thinking about all these hundreds of problems try and remember that not all of them are such a big deal. Obviously look for a new job because of the threat of violence but try not to obsess over every tiny perceived problem or rudeness because it won't make you feel better... try and roll your eyes and move on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (719)
41.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise