The Student Room Group

US affordable unis

Hi,

I understand how a few elite universities in the US are need blind which I’ll consider applying to but as these are so competitive does anyone know of good insurance universities in the US that I could get into for similar or less to £9250 tuition costs per year (UK fees) (say with AAB at A Level

Also my GCSEs are half As, half Bs plus 1 C

Thanks
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
I tried to respond with a link to a guide on american universities but TSR say no links are allowed. therefore I recommend you search on google for a guide to studying in the US as an international student. there are some options available, especially the junior community colleges and PETs. just make sure they're accredited and think about accomodation costs as well.
affordable US universities just don't exist.

Especially as you don't get student loan if you study abroad and being an international students mean you 3-4x more
Yeah I looked into studying there and the fact is you need a lot of money or a scholarship. I may well be wrong but that’s what I found when I researched it, the only way you can get a student loan is by having a US citizen/resident co-sign it, personally that’s not a burden I could ask of any of my American friends.

There might be some affordable community colleges but with your predicted grades that would probably be a waste.
Reply 5
Original post by BKStudent123
Hi,

I understand how a few elite universities in the US are need blind which I’ll consider applying to but as these are so competitive does anyone know of good insurance universities in the US that I could get into for similar or less to £9250 tuition costs per year (UK fees) (say with AAB at A Level

Thanks

Look at the Sutton Trust programme, as well as scholarships that some unis give to international students.
I have looked but my household earnings are over £45,000
Original post by BKStudent123
Hi,

Thanks

Alright so, university in the US is expensive unless you go have in-state fees status. It costs the same as an international student to go to a US state university as it does someone not from that state - there's no preferential treatment. Out-of-state fee status at state universities and private universities have cost-of-attendances of ~$50-70k a year. The only way around it is either through financial aid or a scholarship - you'll most certainly not find any universities worth going to costing less as a sticker price.

There are about 25-30 universities in the US where international students can get their full financial need met (need is the difference between the cost of attendance and your parental/personal contribution). Some of these are 'need blind' in that your admission chances are not affected by how much you need in financial aid and some are need aware which means that is a factor alongside the rest of your application. These 25-30 unis are some of the most competitive in the world and I'm afraid without any significantly exceptional extracurricular achievements, solid test scores and excellently written applications applying with AAB a-levels will be an uphill battle to get accepted; talk of even factoring financial need into account.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending