Katie_Ariana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Due to a series of anxiety attacks and breakdown due to poor mental health caused by family circumstances and two close bereavements, the mental health officer at my university has agreed that it would be best for me to suspend my studies.

I would like to know the implications for this with regards to Student Finance.

How do I go about notifying student finance of this? Will a letter from my mental health support worker at the university suffice?

Furthermore, will my tuition fees for this year still be covered?

I recently received the maintenance funding for January for this academic year. Will this need to be paid back immediately?

Many thanks for your assistance,
Katie
John B SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Katie_Ariana)
Due to a series of anxiety attacks and breakdown due to poor mental health caused by family circumstances and two close bereavements, the mental health officer at my university has agreed that it would be best for me to suspend my studies.

I would like to know the implications for this with regards to Student Finance.

How do I go about notifying student finance of this? Will a letter from my mental health support worker at the university suffice?

Furthermore, will my tuition fees for this year still be covered?

I recently received the maintenance funding for January for this academic year. Will this need to be paid back immediately?

Many thanks for your assistance,
Katie
Hi Katie,

When a student suspends their studies, their funding normally stops from the day they stop studying. However, When a student suspends due to health reasons, they will normally be awarded funding for a further 60 days after the date they stopped studying.

The University will notify Student Finance when you suspend your studies, this is where they should include that the suspension is due to health reasons and Student Finance will award the 60 days extra funding.

If there is any overpayment due to a suspension, We may write to you to let you know and to contact us. You're not expected to have to pay it all back at once. Just to reassure you though, if your suspension is due to health reasons, the 60 days extra funding that is awarded should mean if there is an overpayment it should be minimal.

I hope this information helps.

Warm regards,

John.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.35%
No - I have already returned home (27)
11.02%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.82%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (25)
10.2%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed