username3406128
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I just submitted my assessment and it came back with 56% similarity.

I am slightly worried as this is the highest i've ever had. However, I had 51% similarity on an assessment last year that i actually got a first in.

I read somewhere that turnitin only recognises these quotation marks: " and not '.
Is this true? If so, could it be the reason for my high similarity?
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What course are you on? 51% seems like a crazy amount to allow.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You might be ok. It seems high to me but I don't know the details - the marker can see exactly where the similarities come from and we get access to a detailed breakdown, so if it is legit, you needn't worry. All the percentage does is alert the marker so that they take a closer look.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Turnitin doesn't care about quotation marks - it'll flag the content between them as similar etc regardless of which ones you use. It is the content that matters, not the type of quotation marks,
Bitesizelaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Turnitin doesn't care about quotation marks - it'll flag the content between them as similar etc regardless of which ones you use. It is the content that matters, not the type of quotation marks,
Agree with previous post. A report with a score of 50% will almost certainly be checked. However, if you have used quotations and referenced all your quotations then it isn't plagiarism. Plagiarism is passing off someone else's work as your own without acknowledging it.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We check anything over 30% as a rule of thumb, but most of the time they turn out absolutely fine.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can click on the turnitin report and see what they've flagged up - if it's all quotes that you've referenced then it's fine.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought correctly referenced quotes don't affect the similarity report? At least, that's how it's worked for me?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For law, you are incredibly deferential to the authorities and law essays are therefore much more prone to similarities than other essay-based subjects.
Amzytq
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Similarity is very high on my assignment it’s gone orange will I be able to carry on with the course
verier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which BS uni is this that gives first to a coursework of 51pc similarity?
Amzytq
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m asking if the similarity is high when I submit my assignment what happened next can I continue with my course or not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?