The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OMG! I come back from college and just read some of the posts, and this post has ended up the way i didn't want it to.

Basically what i first posted about exists, its clear from the amount of people that agree. I sat in college today and talked about this with an African friend and we had a good 'friendly' debate. He also agreed that its history, and should be kept that way.
Afterall it wasn't me, or the next white man that treated Africans as slaves was it? So why even bring it up?

And don't try and say Black people have less chances in life. Thats Bull! I did stuff that most people on here would hate me for, i was involved in a gang but now im an A grade student ..... and it didn't happen because im white, it happened because i wanted it to.

Black people push themselves into a courner by calling the slavery card or the racist card, they admit to being bullied by other races still to this day.

Like i said, discrimination happens in so many forms, race, gender, disability, age, sex blah blah blah. You know what, it will NEVER stop, devils walk the earth. Only way past it is stop bringing it up and crying about it and get on with life the way you want to live it.

My stepdad is Jamaican, my little brother is mixed race, i have talked to him over and over about this. My little bro constantly asks me why he is a different colour and how he wishes to be like me, its upsetting. A boy threw sand in his face because he was different. I know first hand what racism is like.

The end of the day, like i said, nothing will change, the devil lives You can either face up to it, and get on with life or cower down and get walked over. That goes for ANY form of discrimination.

You cant go round saying "But its because my ancestors were slaves for the white people".

Pathetic.
Reply 101
mute50
But, thats where you are wrong, because positive discrimination is not only about race, it can be about gender, religion or even sexual preference

la la la ignore Thud it's not like she matters or has brought up a good point.
Lou76854
I said it was not on the most part us or ethnic minorities so don't think i'm laying all the blame on the part of the government, but it is the government that come up with alot of these outlandish P.C. laws. Yes i know there's not a law that stops people from putting christmas tree's and decorations up, hence why people still do it, my point was that people are becoming too scared of being seen as racist that they go to such extremes as to not put a christmas tree up.

Can i have some examples of these "outlandish" laws that the government have brought into effect? Just a couple, please.
Reply 103
Racism is a FORM of descrimination. A definition of it:

Prejudice or discrimination based on an individual's race; can be expressed individually or through institutional policies or practices

Given that definition, you can't say positive descrimination WHEN BASED ON RACE, is not a form of or derived from racism - as equally as it is sexist or ageist in other contexts.

To give my answer to the original question, no they should not. Some may argue that the aftermath of slavery has put them in the position they're in, but at the end of the day, that's no excuse to seek good fortune as a result. Theres no way in this day and age that it's an appropriate reason to seek benefits, any available to a decendanat to slavery should be made equally available to others. That said, as far as I know, this is more or less the case, I can;t think of any 'slavery benefit' handouts? It seems stereotypical to say rappers and black people all 'play the slavery card' it's definatley not an arguement I've ever heard, outside of american tv shows..
Bismarck
Erm, except when that positive discrimination is based on race. :rolleyes: How is having a racial quota in employment or education anything but racist?

Precisely. It achieves the reverse of what it sets out to. The idea is a person shouldn't be judged on skin colour, and yet they advocate just that by insisting on 'representative' numbers of certain ethnicities. The results, as I have heard from people with personal experience of such policies, can be plain wrong.
Reply 105
jaw

Prejudice or discrimination based on an individual's race; can be expressed individually or through institutional policies or practices

Given that definition, you can't say positive descrimination WHEN BASED ON RACE, is not a form of or derived from racism - as equally as it is sexist or ageist in other contexts.

To give my answer to the original question, no they should not. Some may argue that the aftermath of slavery has put them in the position they're in, but at the end of the day, that's no excuse to seek good fortune as a result. Theres no way in this day and age that it's an appropriate reason to seek benefits, any available to a decendanat to slavery should be made equally available to others. That said, as far as I know, this is more or less the case, I can;t think of any 'slavery benefit' handouts? It seems stereotypical to say rappers and black people all 'play the slavery card' it's definatley not an arguement I've ever heard, outside of american tv shows..

I wouldn't bother, he's probably going to ignore you then call you a racist anyway.
Reply 107

good point, but is that orginisation government run?
Coming to this five pages in, but still.

I think it's worth remembering that Britain still benefits enormously from the proceeds of slavery and empire (would we really be as influential in the world if we hadn't had the empire?)...

Black people don't benefit as much from that legacy as white people (in that they're statistically worse off than whites), so there is a question as to whether or not the white community should do something to ensure that the black community as a whole benefits as much as the rest of the country...
Reply 109
jaw

i agree racism is a form of discrimination. But i was just triying to point out that racism and discrimination are not the exact same thing.
cottonmouth
Can i have some examples of these "outlandish" laws that the government have brought into effect? Just a couple, please.

"Bah bah rainbow sheep"

"3 visually impaired mice"

Weh have had to change nursery rhymes to be politically correct.

Job names, you can't call firemen or policemen that anymore you have to call them a fireperson or a policeperson because men implies that no womzn can do the job apparently.
Reply 111
Thud
I wouldn't bother, he's probably going to ignore you then call you a racist anyway.

What's your problem, seriously?

You are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Reply 112
alasdair_R
Coming to this five pages in, but still.

I think it's worth remembering that Britain still benefits enormously from the proceeds of slavery and empire (would we really be as influential in the world if we hadn't had the empire?)...

Black people don't benefit as much from that legacy as white people (in that they're statistically worse off than whites), so there is a question as to whether or not the white community should do something to ensure that the black community as a whole benefits as much as the rest of the country...

yes, but surely in treating black and white communities as an equal, this is better achieved, negating the necessity to 'aid' a particular race?
Reply 113
mute50
What's your problem, seriously?

You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10962865&postcount=46

What's that? no answer? no answer? Yeah I wouldn't want to look like a racist either. Best if you slink away quietly.
Lou76854
"Bah bah rainbow sheep"

Job names, you can't call firemen or policemen that anymore you have to call them a fireperson or a policeperson because men implies that no womzn can do the job apparently.

Baa Baa Rainbow sheep was found to be largely made up. And i asked for examles of the GOVERNMENT bringing in laws, becuase you said they brought in loads. This example is not legislated, it is not law, there is no statute, it wouldn't even be on Hansard.

Same goes for the other two. Let me repeat my question. Please will you find me examples, because you said there are many, of where the government has brought in "outrageous" PC laws. Laws are things that are debated in Parliament, sent to the House of Lords, passed, signed by the Queen, and put into statute book.
Reply 115
Lou76854
"Bah bah rainbow sheep"

Absolute Bull. The examples you're giving are made up stories used by racists to stir up anger at fictional 'political correctness' and hence anger at the minorities they are alleged to protect or advantage. The term 'fireman' has been changed to 'fire fighter' or 'fire officer' because today not all fire fighters are actually men these days. Same for 'police officers', this change is simply because women have joined this service in large numbers. You are an idiot.
Bismarck
Yep. There was a story about this in top American universities. Apparently a sizable portion of people who make it in due to their race (who wouldn't get in otherwise) end up failing because they don't aren't knowledgeable or smart enough, and even the ones who do well end up getting "attacked" for being where they are solely due to race. It's a no win situation.

Yes, only here, now they seem to be after an investigation into why a lower proportion of ethnic minorities are achieving good degrees, and trying to perform further social engineering. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7202358.stm
Reply 117
what about immigration rules and how benefits are allocated? I honestly don't know any ins and outs of them, but at a guess based on what I've heard the concensus is, asylum seekers etc have access to certaing benefits people of this country don't nevesarily have access to?
Reply 118
(sigh)

we undo racism by doing it back?
1) There are reasons why those acts exist, one reason could be to readdress the discrimination of black people in the places of work. I don't know all the laws in south africa and i am pretty sure you don't either

Ever heard the saying two wrongs don't make a right Positive discrimination is not wrong in this scenario, as it is for the long time benefit for the people

And how exactly does that count for the quotas in the British police force?
I guess it is to make the police look more relatable.

Let's not get off point, my original point was that continued marking out of black people leads to continued separation. But you're disputing this, you're saying it's ok to view black people as inferior and so give them a leg up? Well that's what you're implying...

I is common knowledge to know that some blacks are socially disadvantaged. Just because someone is socially disadvantaged that does not make them inferior

Are you racist?
i am not a racist, but i know that some people in this world are.

Basically what i first posted about exists, its clear from the amount of people that agree.

TSR users agree,you must be right.

And don't try and say Black people have less chances in life. Thats Bull! I did stuff that most people on here would hate me for, i was involved in a gang but now im an A grade student ..... and it didn't happen because im white, it happened because i wanted it to.-
It also happened because other people wanted it to happen,which is not the case for others.

Black people push themselves into a courner by calling the slavery card or the racist card, they admit to being bullied by other races still to this day. -

Where's the proof of this stupid claim?

My stepdad is Jamaican, my little brother is mixed race, i have talked to him over and over about this. My little bro constantly asks me why he is a different colour and how he wishes to be like me, its upsetting. A boy threw sand in his face because he was different. I know first hand what racism is like.
Contradict your whole damn argument,just a minute ago you were saying that 'Black' people are treated equally.

You cant go round saying "But its because my ancestors were slaves for the white people".-
Keep quoting one person you've heard,and paint an entire race with the same brush.

Pathetic -
Agreed your argument is lacking.

I have never heard any black/african (since you seem to get them confused) bring slavery in to an argument.Yes there is bitterness about the damage previous generations have inflicted,but the anger is towards those that commited the acts,no-one else.

The only person making an issue out of this seems to be you.

Latest

Trending

Trending