The Student Room Group

Anxiety after receiving offer from Cambridge

I've just received an offer from Selwyn College Cambridge to study History and French, and whilst I couldn't be happier I've been struggling recently with a lot of anxiety about whether I can meet the conditions. It's A*AA, and although I was predicted A* throughout year 12 this was based on old AS papers and mocks cobbled together from random bits of specimen material- for all three of my subjects I'll be taking the new linear A-level.

Now I've just started receiving the results of my January mock exams, which used full specimen papers for the new A-levels- so, naturally, tricky stuff. Receiving a disappointing result for French reading and listening (79/100, no grade yet) has only added to my worries- I can't stop obsessing over the "what if"s and questioning whether I even deserve my offer from Cambridge. Does anyone have any conciliatory words to offer? It's taking over my life- I'm struggling with sleep and my parents are worried.
If you didn't deserve an offer you wouldn't have one and there's still plenty of time before exams to improve.
Reply 2
Original post by Student-95
If you didn't deserve an offer you wouldn't have one and there's still plenty of time before exams to improve.

Thanks, I'm trying to be hopeful and think positive but I almost feel like people have been giving me false hope until now. I feel like a fraud impersonating a capable student.
Original post by eviechrissy
I've just received an offer from Selwyn College Cambridge to study History and French, and whilst I couldn't be happier I've been struggling recently with a lot of anxiety about whether I can meet the conditions. It's A*AA, and although I was predicted A* throughout year 12 this was based on old AS papers and mocks cobbled together from random bits of specimen material- for all three of my subjects I'll be taking the new linear A-level.

Now I've just started receiving the results of my January mock exams, which used full specimen papers for the new A-levels- so, naturally, tricky stuff. Receiving a disappointing result for French reading and listening (79/100, no grade yet) has only added to my worries- I can't stop obsessing over the "what if"s and questioning whether I even deserve my offer from Cambridge. Does anyone have any conciliatory words to offer? It's taking over my life- I'm struggling with sleep and my parents are worried.

Congratulations on your offer. Cambridge don't give out offers to people that they don't think can meet them - it'd be a huge waste of time for them.

What's your insurance choice going to be?

You've got a shot at Oxbridge, and, I assume, a good back-up. Try to be happy with that chance - huge numbers fail to get an offer. Wherever you go, you'll quickly realise that you're pretty good - Cambridge think so. Throw youself into your studies and try to enjoy the work. It's not uncommon for top students to be surprised with their results, so relax and see what happens. You'll do well wherever you go IMO.

Bonne chance.
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
Congratulations on your offer. Cambridge don't give out offers to people that they don't think can meet them - it'd be a huge waste of time for them.

What's your insurance choice going to be?

You've got a shot at Oxbridge, and, I assume, a good back-up. Try to be happy with that chance - huge numbers fail to get an offer. Wherever you go, you'll quickly realise that you're pretty good - Cambridge think so. Throw youself into your studies and try to enjoy the work. It's not uncommon for top students to be surprised with their results, so relax and see what happens. You'll do well wherever you go IMO.

Bonne chance.

Thank you for your encouragement. My insurance choice could either be Birmingham or Durham depending on what I hear from the latter, but I've made the mistake of getting so emotionally committed to Cambridge that it seems like my only viable option...I just want to study at Cambridge so bad, and having everyone tell me I'll smash it and that I have nothing to worry about really hasn't helped...

Was in your position a year ago. Firstly, anyone who gets an offer from Cambridge absolutely deserves it - that includes you. Keep reminding yourself of it :smile: The new A Levels certainly make matters more tedious, especially since they tend to make the specimen papers more difficult than normal. So remember that a lower than normal grade is expected (across the board people tend to do worse with new specifications) and it won't necessarily reflect what you'll get in the summer. Stay focused (easier said than done I know) and you should be right on track to get what you need
I just want to study at Cambridge so bad, and having everyone tell me I'll smash it and that I have nothing to worry about really hasn't helped...

Perhaps having a look at the 'I failed my offer but still got in' threads might help relax you.

I know that it feels like you have something to lose, but you'll be fine wherever you end up. You're going to get 3-4 years studying what you enjoy. Exams are always anexity-ladened, but it's the same for most people.
I can definitely relate to how you feel :s-smilie:

don't let setbacks make you feel like you're not truly capable, they're a natural part of the learning process so there's nothing wrong with hitting them. a capable student is not someone that never gets stuck, it's someone who can deal with getting stuck :smile:

remember you've done the most difficult bit now, Cambridge's statistics show that most offer holders do get the grades - best of luck!
Reply 8
Thanks for all the support! 😀

Quick Reply

Latest