Will Cambridge care about your personal statement/reference?

Watch
Ilikeharrypotter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I mean I know they care but would they care if I only volunteered at a library helping the staff make activities and games available for children (this was for UCAS) and if i say that in my personal statement- will they care that I only done one thing? - Would that influence me not getting in? Will they care if I don't have enough UCAS points and how much does UCAS points do I need to get into Cambridge? Also, if i have no experience in participating in things like the Scholar programme or went to good universities as a taster-would that also influence me into not getting into Cambridge?

What are Cambridge looking for in CV's? Does anyone know any History curriculum's/activities that will be good to mention? Or any general curriculum's?
Niekman843
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes then we’ll it’s a top University even
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ilikeharrypotter)
Like say for UCAS points I only volunteered at a library helping the staff make activities and games available for children and if i say that in my personal statement- will they care that I only done one thing? Will they care if I don't have enough UCAS points and how much does UCAS points do I need to get into Cambridge? Also, if i have no experience in participating in things like the Scholar programme or went to good universities as a taster-would that influence me getting into Cambridge?
It depends on the course you're doing. Doing super-curriculars that relate to your course help; doing stuff that's completely irrelevant won't. They aren't looking for what people call "well-rounded students".

Also, Cambridge don't use the UCAS points sytem. You need a minimum A*A*A or A*AA depending on the course - having that equivalent number of UCAS points from 4 A-levels with lower grades will not suffice.
dutchstudent123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, we're already past the deadline for next year's entry so if you want to apply it'll be for 2019 entry, and thus you'll have plenty of time to do some extra stuff. I believe they really appreciate super-curricular stuff good luck
Ilikeharrypotter
Rep:
?
(Original post by dutchstudent123)
Well, we're already past the deadline for next year's entry so if you want to apply it'll be for 2019 entry, and thus you'll have plenty of time to do some extra stuff. I believe they really appreciate super-curricular stuff good luck
Do you know any history curriculum's where i could get involved with that will be good to mention in the CV?
johnsmith_123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have an offer from Cambridge. For most subjects personal statement is important, though not so much in maths for example. Good grades are much more valuable than volunteering at a library. UCAS points don't mean **** for Cambridge. Although extracurricular activities do look good on your personal statement, top grades will help you much more.
johnsmith_123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For History, extra reading and independent research is what you'll want to put in your ps.
Ilikeharrypotter
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilyacarey)
I have an offer from Cambridge. For most subjects personal statement is important, though not so much in maths for example. Good grades are much more valuable than volunteering at a library. UCAS points don't mean **** for Cambridge. Although extracurricular activities do look good on your personal statement, top grades will help you much more.
So they wouldn't care if i have little UCAS points?
dutchstudent123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know any history curriculum's where i could get involved with that will be good to mention in the CV?
Can't help you with that sorry. Best to ask a Britt.
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UCAS points don't matter, but if you don't have predicted grades that match the requirements then you probably won't be considered.
eviebrizzle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You'll need A*AA predictions minimum. You need to do extra reading e.g. books on Holocaust, then super-curricular activities e.g. history seminar, going to museum. They don't care about extra-curicular- I've just got a politics offer and no extra curricular at all. They want super-curricular.
CompSciCat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't do stuff because you think it'll look good on your CV, do what actually interests you. For history I imagine there is lots of further reading you can do, which can be all that you need.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cambridge offers (like most "top" universities) aren't based on UCAS points. Accumulating points for the sake of it, or becasue you think it will impress an admissions tutor is really a waste of your, and their, time.

Simply focus on your subject; so for History doing lots of history stuff that interests you. Reading is a great way.

And ensure you are on target for the academic requirements. For History that is typically A*AA at A-level.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean I know they care but would they care if I only volunteered at a library helping the staff make activities and games available for children (this was for UCAS) and if i say that in my personal statement- will they care that I only done one thing? - Would that influence me not getting in? Will they care if I don't have enough UCAS points and how much does UCAS points do I need to get into Cambridge? Also, if i have no experience in participating in things like the Scholar programme or went to good universities as a taster-would that also influence me into not getting into Cambridge?

What are Cambridge looking for in CV's? Does anyone know any History curriculum's/activities that will be good to mention? Or any general curriculum's?
Read this for what they’re looking for. There’s a link for more detailed info on personal statement on the page too.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....we-looking-for

And their website is a brilliant source of useful and essential information/advice on Cambridge application. I’d recommend you read it as much as possible. (But don’t get too hooked to the statistics. It’s more misleading than helpful unless you really know and understand how their admission system works. )

And what they’re interested is NOT what/how many things you mention in your PS. What they want to know is what/how you’ve learned from supercurricular experience to explore the subject you’re applying for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (721)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.81%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (403)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.37%

Watched Threads