The Student Room Group

How credible and recognised is my UAL Extended Diploma in Creative Media?

For those who aren’t familiar with who or what UAL are, they’re an awarding body who offer qualifications that are graded similarly to BTEC qualifications in terms of awarding Pass, Merit and Distinctions etc and those grades being worth a certain amount of UCAS points. My qualification will be equivalent to 3 A Levels, similar to the way in which BTEC extended diplomas are.

The only apparent difference between BTEC and UAL is the fact that UAL speficially offer art and design based qualifications in conjunction with University of the Arts London.

This is the course I’m currently studying:
http://www.arts.ac.uk/about-ual/awarding-body/qualifications/creative-media/level-3-diploma-and-extended-diploma-in-creative-media-production--technology/

I know that BTEC extended diplomas are recognised by a large number of universities, and I’m now wondering whether UAL qualifications are too? I’ve been lead to believe by my tutors that the only difference between a btec and ual diploma is just simply the different awarding body.. and apparently that has no bearing on me applying for university. But with that being said, whenever I look into university entry requirements, there is no mention of UAL, just BTEC’s and the overall UCAS points that are required.

Just to draw a clearer picture, I’m interested in studying Fashion Promotion at Manchester Met, and the general UCAS point requirement is 112. I’m expected to have 168 ucas points when I complete the two year long course.. could anyone possibly help clear this up for me?

How likely are MMU to accept my UAL extended diploma? Has anyone else completed this course or any other UAL course, and was there any issues when applying for your desired uni? Did they recognise and find your UAL qualification credible? Thank you!!
Original post by Chlomol
For those who aren’t familiar with who or what UAL are, they’re an awarding body who offer qualifications that are graded similarly to BTEC qualifications in terms of awarding Pass, Merit and Distinctions etc and those grades being worth a certain amount of UCAS points. My qualification will be equivalent to 3 A Levels, similar to the way in which BTEC extended diplomas are.

The only apparent difference between BTEC and UAL is the fact that UAL speficially offer art and design based qualifications in conjunction with University of the Arts London.

http://www.arts.ac.uk/about-ual/awarding-body/qualifications/creative-media/level-3-diploma-and-extended-diploma-in-creative-media-production--technology/

I know that BTEC extended diplomas are recognised by a large number of universities, and I’m now wondering whether UAL qualifications are too? I’ve been lead to believe by my tutors that the only difference between a btec and ual diploma is just simply the different awarding body.. and apparently that has no bearing on me applying for university. But with that being said, whenever I look into university entry requirements, there is no mention of UAL, just BTEC’s and the overall UCAS points that are required.

Just to draw a clearer picture, I’m interested in studying Fashion Promotion at Manchester Met, and the general UCAS point requirement is 112. I’m expected to have 168 ucas points when I complete the two year long course.. could anyone possibly help clear this up for me?

How likely are MMU to accept my UAL extended diploma? Has anyone else completed this course or any other UAL course, and was there any issues when applying for your desired uni? Did they recognise and find your UAL qualification credible? Thank you!!

For creative degrees it’ll be treated as exactly the same as a similar BTEC.

Other courses might not be familiar with it but are still likely to treat it the same as a BTEC extended diploma.
My son is studying a UAL extended diploma and was turned down by Queens Uni in Belfast for the following reason. Quote: "Each university independently sets its own entry criteria. Although the UAL Extended Diploma does not meet our requirements for any degree at Queen’s, the UAL website indicates that this qualification is recognised for entry elsewhere, either in its own right or alongside other Level 3 qualifications, by institutions including Arts University Bournemouth, Ravensbourne, University for the Creative Arts and Leeds College of Art. If your son remains interested in future admission to Queen’s, we recommend that, following completion of his UAL Extended Diploma, he progresses to a Level 4 BTEC HNC qualification in any subject, which we are happy to consider for entry to the first year of our Film Studies." I hope this helps? We are really disappointed with this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Claire2910
My son is studying a UAL extended diploma and was turned down by Queens Uni in Belfast for the following reason. Quote: "Each university independently sets its own entry criteria. Although the UAL Extended Diploma does not meet our requirements for any degree at Queen’s, the UAL website indicates that this qualification is recognised for entry elsewhere, either in its own right or alongside other Level 3 qualifications, by institutions including Arts University Bournemouth, Ravensbourne, University for the Creative Arts and Leeds College of Art. If your son remains interested in future admission to Queen’s, we recommend that, following completion of his UAL Extended Diploma, he progresses to a Level 4 BTEC HNC qualification in any subject, which we are happy to consider for entry to the first year of our Film Studies." I hope this helps? We are really disappointed with this.

They sound pretty ignorant tbh. Recommending a level 4 HNC to get entry into level 4 of their degrees is horrible advice. If they think the Extended Dip doesn’t contain enough theory for their theory based film degree then recommending any old HNC is just ridiculous. An access to HE diploma or a couple of theoretical A levels would normally be better preparation.
£14k average graduate salary, 15% unemployment, 50% in non graduate jobs, no industry recognition or accreditation...it isn’t exactly a stellar course tbh....

https://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10005343FT-FLM-BA-FP/ReturnTo/Search
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4

I’m so sorry to hear that! I hope Queens Uni wasn’t his first choice and he received some good offers. To echo what @PQ has said above, the fact they advised your son complete a Level 4 HNC is shocking and completely ridiculous.. that’s such a shame. I know how much hard work goes into completing the UAL qualification, so the fact that some unis can completely disregard that is really disheartening.
(edited 6 years ago)
Unfortunately it was his first choice. He had flown over and stayed in Belfast for a couple of nights and fell in love with the place. It is a real shame. Queens are missing out on some real talent - his girlfriend has also been turned down for the same reason. My son and his friends won Gold at World Skills last year). Luckily all the other courses he applied to all recognise UAL. He has already been invited for an interview at Ravensbourne 😊
Unfortunately it was his first choice. He had flown over and stayed in Belfast for a couple of nights and fell in love with the place. It is a real shame. Queens are missing out on some real talent - his girlfriend has also been turned down for the same reason. My son and his friends won Gold at World Skills last year). Luckily all the other courses he applied to all recognise UAL. He has already been invited for an interview at Ravensbourne 😊

It might be worth asking for someone from his college to contact queens and talk through the qualification (it’s not substantially different to a BTEC ED so if they accept those then this is like them rejecting an applicant for taking their A levels with the “wrong” exam board). It might make no difference but as a minimum it will help the college give better guidance and might get queens to clarify their stance on their website.
I’d also suggest you email una http://www.qub.ac.uk/teachers/Domestic-recruitment-and-events-team/ and see if you can get an ally on site.
Reply 8
Might i ask, what grade was your son predicted? / achieve
Original post by Chlomol

hey, I finished a UAL extended diploma in media and got a distinction/ merit. I was told by teachers I cna get anywhere i want. I have had all 5 rejections on my application, and realised it's a bit of a bogus qualification. I'm now taking Levels. I know my friends went to a college but they struggle with the workload, at my college we did very little to get merits. I wasn't serious enough, now I know better. Btec is more well regarded. I'd advise you to look at alternative methods to get to teh uni you want, but again it depends where you are. My college course was a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending