The Student Room Group

Failing A-Level Biology

Hi, so i'm a year 13 student currently studying chemistry, biology and psychology. I got 2A*s, 6As and 1B at GCSE and the A's being in triple science. At AS i got AAD, with the D being in biology, my AS result in biology came as a complete shock as i had been doing revision all year and practically did every past paper there was.
Even though i got a D at AS, when I went back in September to start year 13 I was fully determined to change this and continued working hard. But, in my class tests I went from an E to scraping a B and now I've just got my January mocks back and even though i didn't revise as much as i should've/could've, I still did enough to not get 19/73..
I'm feeling very down and demotivated right now, can someone please give me some advice on what I can do to save my biology grade..

Scroll to see replies

Talk to your teachers, maybe they can support you in understanding whats going wrong. As well as continuing to work as hard as you can on the topics that you did worst in your mocks.
Reply 2
you're not studying biology properly
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by _i.z.ah _
Talk to your teachers, maybe they can support you in understanding whats going wrong. As well as continuing to work as hard as you can on the topics that you did worst in your mocks.

I have biology tomorrow and plan on doing this, thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sayless
you're not studying properly

I mean I also thought I wasn't, but then I do very well in chemistry and psychology..
Reply 5
Original post by fauziaa
I mean I also thought I wasn't, but then I do very well in chemistry and psychology..

see edit
Original post by fauziaa
I have biology tomorrow and plan on doing this, thank you :smile:

your welcome, hope everything turns out well for you. :smile:
I mean if you got 2 As at AS and both being in Chemistry and Phsycology. It proves you do know how to revise properly as it is working.

With biology, identify whether you're struggling with recall questions or application questions by looking at your previous mock papers. If you follow the usual trend, it's going to be Application questions. In which I advice you practise breaking down the info given in the question properly under your own time. The more you do these questions the faster and easier it becomes to identify what the data is showing you and what the question is asking.
Reply 8
I’m in the exact same position! I got two high Bs in my two other AS subjects and a D in Biology. I was so disappointed considering I had worked the hardest for it.

It’s really difficult to admit to yourself that you aren’t studying enough, especially when you put in so much work. However, this year I’m forcing myself to do more. I’m doing so many more past papers, sometimes even repeating them! Also doing all chapter questions from my Bio book, re-reading notes after classes etc. I find this is one of the only ways to really learn and understand the material.

Don’t lose your motivation, your other grades clearly reflect your capability as an academic! Biology is just such a vast subject, with so much to learn.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Federerr
I mean if you got 2 As at AS and both being in Chemistry and Phsycology. It proves you do know how to revise properly as it is working.

With biology, identify whether you're struggling with recall questions or application questions by looking at your previous mock papers. If you follow the usual trend, it's going to be Application questions. In which I advice you practise breaking down the info given in the question properly under your own time. The more you do these questions the faster and easier it becomes to identify what the data is showing you and what the question is asking.

You're right, I do really struggle with application questions as i normally will get full marks in recall but then with application I barely scrape 1 mark. But then i'm not sure on how to practice application questions because they make no sense at all, i just can't process any of it
i hate a level biology
Reply 11
Original post by shan_
I’m in the exact same position! I got two high Bs in my two other AS subjects and a D in Biology. I was so disappointed considering I had worked the hardest for it.

It’s really difficult to admit to yourself that you aren’t studying enough, especially when you put in so much work. However, this year I’m forcing myself to do more. I’m doing so many more past papers, sometimes even repeating them! Also doing all chapter questions from my Bio book, re-reading notes after classes etc. I find this is one of the only ways to really learn and understand the material.

Don’t lose your motivation, your other grades clearly reflect your capability as an academic! Biology is just such a vast subject, with so much to learn.

Good luck!

I'm trying my best to stay motivated but it's hard when i'm constantly feeling like I'm dumb, especially as I go to a comprehensive school where everyone is so smart and no one hardly ever gets below 40-50%.
How are you doing in biology now & are you doing AQA?
HATE IT ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i feel ur pain, i spend my life revising it and never improve

ps, if anyone has kidney notes im in desperate need
Reply 13
Original post by Sayless
see edit

How do you revise biology properly then?
rlly cant even explain my hate. any year 11s, do NOT take a level biology. you could have 10 A*s at GCSE and still get Ds at A level, it is a joke
Reply 15
Original post by fabs123
HATE IT ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i feel ur pain, i spend my life revising it and never improve

ps, if anyone has kidney notes im in desperate need

I'm actually glad im not the only one, I feel so awkward talking to my teachers about it as I feel they are constantly going to judge me. such a sh*ttttttt feeling.
Original post by fauziaa
I'm actually glad im not the only one, I feel so awkward talking to my teachers about it as I feel they are constantly going to judge me. such a sh*ttttttt feeling.

my teachers hate me bc they know i hate their stupid subject lol
i've talked to mine and they just say revise but thats all i have been doing, i cant find any way to improve, literally feel like i've reached a wall
Reply 17
Original post by fauziaa
I'm trying my best to stay motivated but it's hard when i'm constantly feeling like I'm dumb, especially as I go to a comprehensive school where everyone is so smart and no one hardly ever gets below 40-50%.
How are you doing in biology now & are you doing AQA?

Never doubt yourself just because of one subject! You clearly are very capable as you are doing well in your other subjects. I also go to a comprehensive school and most of my classmates are doing better than me.

I’m doing better in Biology now, my grade has improved slightly. I do Cambridge International Examinations (CIE).
I feel you. I know where I'm going wrong (for me it's application questions which a lot of the time have nothing to do with the ****ing content) but I just never seem to write the correct answers.
Fuzz, it's okay honey boo I know you'll smash bio's ass one day

Quick Reply

Latest