No reference/missed deadline support group thread Watch

PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've tagged in a bunch of you who have posted today about having to apply without a reference or missing the deadline because of problems with your reference.

I just thought it would be nice to have a thread where you can chat to each other, get advice, share tips and keep us all updated on how your applications are going.

I know things haven't gone to plan for you but it's not the end of the world. And if you can keep us updated then we can share this thread next year with people in the same situation to give them hope (sorry I didn't think to do this last year - but there were applicants in the same situation who got offers).

So please - introduce yourselves

Name:
What went wrong?
Courses:
Universities:

Blackstarr Dyingfrog foursides callumhowieson xxAFFxx

(Original post by YassinM)
x
Universities that have agreed to accept a reference outside UCAS this year:
Aberdeen
Arts University Bournemouth
Cardiff (as long as the reference is in quickly)
Dundee
Durham
Falmouth
Leeds
London South Bank
Middlesex
Nottingham
Stirling
Swansea
Wolverhampton

Universities that have rejected applicants because of no reference
Greenwich
PQ
Rep:
?
Just to add - if you're in this situation and haven't posted elsewhere (or I missed you off the tags) then feel free to post :yes:
callumhowieson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I'm so excited!

Name: My name is Callum, as you might've already guessed.

What went wrong: Yesterday I applied to my universities but my teacher didn't provide a reference in time. This is mostly my fault for not giving him enough time to be honest, I'm going to write to him and formally apologise.

Courses: I'm applying to study economics.

Universities: Cardiff, Aberdeen, Stirling, Dundee, Swansea

I contacted them and they all said that if I get my reference in ASAP I should be fine

Good luck to the rest of you, and thanks for making this thread PQ I think it is a brilliant idea.
xxAFFxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. This is a really good idea

Name: AFF
What went wrong: Don't know much about how UCAS works so completely messed up on the timings with getting a reference and sending it off on time. I thought I could send off my UCAS after inputting my referee details but clearly not.
Courses: History with a foundation year
Unis: Durham, Leeds, Sheffield, Notts, York.

I have just received my track log in details. Could someone tell me how i can go about emailing the unis to explain the situation?
xxAFFxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by callumhowieson)
Hi! I'm so excited!

What went wrong: Yesterday I applied to my universities but my teacher didn't provide a reference in time. This is mostly my fault for not giving him enough time to be honest, I'm going to write to him and formally apologise.

I contacted them and they all said that if I get my reference in ASAP I should be fine

Good luck to the rest of you, and thanks for making this thread PQ I think it is a brilliant idea.
what did you write in your emails to the unis?
i need to email my unis but i dont knwo how to word it
PQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by xxAFFxx)
I have just received my track log in details. Could someone tell me how i can go about emailing the unis to explain the situation?
I would say ring them in the first instance - it's a busy time of year and an email could take a few days to get an answer.
xxAFFxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
I would say ring them in the first instance - it's a busy time of year and an email could take a few days to get an answer.
I dont have access to a telephone.
PQ
Rep:
?
I dont have access to a telephone.
Ahhh - that's a shame

In that case go on their websites and look for the "how to apply" or "admissions" pages and find the right email address (usually there's a single address, sometimes there's a different one for different subjects) - and then just email (include your name, UCAS ID and course applied for) and explain what you said above - you're applying without much support and didn't realise that the reference needed to be attached until too late, you're able to provide a reference to them directly if that's acceptable and if it isn't can they let you know ASAP so that you can substitute a choice.
callumhowieson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what did you write in your emails to the unis?
i need to email my unis but i dont knwo how to word it
I rang them. I simply said something along the lines of "Hi, I applied to your university yesterday however my reference hasn't been completed, is it OK for me to send it separately?" and then I asked them if sending it later would put me at a disadvantage. Cardiff said maybe depending on how soon I can get it in. The rest said it wouldn't disadvantage me, but to get the reference in ASAP anyway.
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for making this thread.

I am on a gap year and contacted my ex tutor for a reference. I put him down on ucas through my college but from there i do not know what happened.

My reference has apparently been sitting with my college as my reference section was not ticked. I have emailed my tutor countless of times but time was running out so i had to send mine off without a reference.

inb4 "you could have got someone else to do your reference"-no, i could have not as my ex tutor agreed to be my referee and it was too late by then.

I am now in the process of calling my university to explain my situation. I still can't bring myself to explain what happened.
callumhowieson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blackstarr)
Thanks for making this thread.

I am on a gap year and contacted my ex tutor for a reference. I put him down on ucas through my college but from there i do not know what happened.

My reference has apparently been sitting with my college as my reference section was not ticked. I have emailed my tutor countless of times but time was running out so i had to send mine off without a reference.

inb4 "you could have got someone else to do your reference"-no, i could have not as my ex tutor agreed to be my referee and it was too late by then.

I am now in the process of calling my university to explain my situation. I still can't bring myself to explain what happened.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Blackstarr
Report 1 year ago
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
I called London SouthBank just now and i can bring my reference later on.

Hopefully they do accept me
PQ
Rep:
?
I called London SouthBank just now and i can bring my reference later on.

Hopefully they do accept me
xxAFFxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Received emails from three of my uni choices saying its fine to send a reference later. and they didn't seem too annoyed about it. Good start so far

good luck everyone
PQ
Rep:
?
Received emails from three of my uni choices saying its fine to send a reference later. and they didn't seem too annoyed about it. Good start so far

good luck everyone
Which universities have said they're ok? I'll add a list to the OP :yes:
xxAFFxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Durham Leeds Notts
callumhowieson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Hi! I'm so excited!

All of mine have agreed too, but the admissions person at Cardiff said that my chances might be hindered if I didn't get my reference in early enough.

But wow I'm surprised they are so fine about this!
PQ
Rep:
?
All of mine have agreed too, but the admissions person at Cardiff said that my chances might be hindered if I didn't get my reference in early enough.

But wow I'm surprised they are so fine about this!
Added

I think this is one of those little "secrets" that universities and ucas don't share. I imagine if more than a handful of applicants start to apply days before the deadline without a reference they'll be less sympathetic but for genuine cases it seems fairly common.
Blackstarr
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
I got rejected from Greenwich

How do i appeal?
PQ
Rep:
?
I got rejected from Greenwich

How do i appeal?
You need to call them up and get a copy of their admissions policy which should explain what to do (it isn't online)

They only make offers to 8% of applicants to child nursing though (https://university.which.co.uk/unive...ears-9250-b720 ) so it was likely always a long shot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.75%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%