The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Douglas
copies and pasted
Guns, in all applications and under all conditions and circumstances, routinely kill far fewer Americans annually than a number of other unrelated causes. In fact, as Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck has regularly proven, guns actually save about 2.5 million lives a year.

BS! How can you prove that?
Will
Just like an automatic weapon is not applicable in self-defence then? Unless an army is attacking you, which is unlikely?

Since when did my posts shift to the topic of owning automatic weapons?

Guns are intended to KILL.

Really?! And all this time I thought they were for baking! That statement is implying that if you own a gun, you will kill someone. If I own a fire insurance policy, does it mean my house is going to burn down automatically? The whole point it preparedness.

To say that they are a deterrent is nonsense.

So, if you were a criminal, you would be just as likely to attack someone carrying a gun, as you would be to attack a person with no weapon? You were certainly make the "World's Stupidest Criminals" footage.

They are much less of a deterrent than, say, a nuclear weapon, and likewise they are not under the control of a responsible government like a nuclear weapon (in the case of the Western nations) is.

And the bias emerges.

Individual people are unpredictable.

Which is why I approve of someone being able to defend himself/herself from said unpredictable person. Why is it that you think only someone who owns a gun can be unpredictable? A burly man could come to my home in the middle of a night, break a window in the first floor and smother me in my sleep. Should we ban pillows and plastic bags?

I wouldn't feel safe if the perfectly sane guy down the road had a gun. There is a chance that under some kind of emotional stress he would commit a crime of passion or go mad and shoot someone.

A crime of passion can be committed by any type of weapon.

Anyway - more on guns being a useless deterrent: The majority of burglars in the USA (because of your gun control) will carry some kind of weapon - probably a firearm of some sort.

Did you go to the trouble to research how many of these burglars use legally obtained firearms, and how many bought theirs from the black market?

You also own a firearm. The outcome - bloody violence.

This is assuming that I would use a firearm in the instance of a burglary, which is idiotic. I only believe in using violence to protect myself from harm. How selfish of me!

One of you is going to get hurt because each of you have confidence that you're going to get your shot away first. So - that also negates the firearm's effect as a deterrent.

Right, and if I didn't have a gun, then he'd just shoot me immediately and I'd have no chance. How is this the better option for me, the hypothetical victim of crime?

Back to the concept of not feeling safe if you know the guy down the road owns a gun... Well - you're going to buy a gun too if he's got one and you don't feel safe because of that fact, aren't you?There lies a vicious circle in which everyone buys a gun because they're scared of everyone else. You shouldn't have to feel the need to own a gun because others do. [/

I think that's just been the British people on this discussion who've said that. Obviously, you need to have more community gatherings, or something, because you think the hypothetical man down the street with a gun is just plotting to murder all of you. In contrast, I trust my neighbors a lot more than I trust a stranger.

Lastly, I don't think that anything whatsoever will be done about gun control in the US unless the rest of the world invades the country; tears up the ridiculously outdated constitution; rewrites it for a modern society; confiscates all handguns and automatics; melts them down and then slaps the gun owners silly. That way:

- Nobody owns a gun.
- The constitution says people shouldn't own a gun.
- Therefore no civilian feels that they must own a gun.
- Case closed.

Yeah, I mean, you're not allowed to own guns in the UK, so only the outlaws have them. It's much safer that way.

Unfortunately, this just isn't going to happen. Besides, Americans, being of a more violent culture than modern Europeans (Americans actually have a culture remarkably similar to 17th/18th Century Europeans), won't usually miss the opportunity to get their hands on something powerful that can control life or death.

Such a shame, really. Americans not being naive like the Europeans. Where do I get off wanting to keep myself protected from an attacker?! He's just misunderstood. If he needs to kill me to feel better, I should be a willing participant! Moral relativism at it's finest!

Well, how shall I ever get over being a violent, behind-the-times American? I'll just have to ride my horse to the salloon, have some Jack Daniels, fire off some gunshots into the ceiling to celebrate how incredibly inferior my culture is to yours. It'll be grand.

Try not to take offence to my rather blunt way of putting things. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I never expected you to have tact. You're from Europe, you're obviously superior to me in every way. How silly of me, a humble non-European, to forget to kneel before you.
Reply 102
Mr Moncal
I know how the constitution is ammended. It could be done in 2 or 3 days if everyone was cooperative, a week if a few were uncooperative.

In theory, you may be right, but, lets look at reality.

The method to amend the constitution is for a bill to pass both halves of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments.
Reply 103
"In fact, as Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck has regularly proven, guns actually save about 2.5 million lives a year."

Howard
BS! How can you prove that?

I can't prove it, but apparently Gary Kleck has.............Ask him
Reply 104
Just a thought.

So we've heard both sides of the argument (I favour not banning guns, but severly ristricting assault rifles to the military and security on hi-tech instalations, and of course, the police)

But here's a question, how do you propose to stop the black market of guns ?
If you can't do that, that is, solve the practical implications of such a ban, why bother with the moral and ethical considerations ?
Reply 105
tkfmbp
Just a thought.

So we've heard both sides of the argument (I favour not banning guns, but severly ristricting assault rifles to the military and security on hi-tech instalations, and of course, the police)

If you can't do that, that is, solve the practical implications of such a ban, why bother with the moral and ethical considerations ?

Good question, in today's society it probably can't be stopped. In the U.S. the border patrol can't keep up with the amount of illegals and terrorists that enter the country via Mexico or Canada. It's estimated that there are about 13 million illegals in the country mostly from Mexico. Many bring in weapons (perhaps even WMD's), narcotics and other contraband.

Stopping illegal weapons is like trying to stop narcotics.
psychic_satori
Since when did my posts shift to the topic of owning automatic weapons?

They didn't - but that is what this topic is meant to be about.

psychic_satori
Really?! And all this time I thought they were for baking! That statement is implying that if you own a gun, you will kill someone. If I own a fire insurance policy, does it mean my house is going to burn down automatically? The whole point it preparedness.

Don't tell me that you never get that feeling of power when you hold a gun in your hand. That sudden realisation that you can now control whether someone is to live or die.

psychic_satori
So, if you were a criminal, you would be just as likely to attack someone carrying a gun, as you would be to attack a person with no weapon? You were certainly make the "World's Stupidest Criminals" footage.

I used burglars as my example. Burglars generally don't know if the subject of the burglary is going to be armed or not, unless they're wildly brandishing a gun in their front garden during the time when the burglar cases the joint. Therefore they will 'attack' a property even if the owner has a gun - that fact is unknown to the burglar. The result - probably a deadly blunder.

psychic_satori
And the bias emerges.

If I just said 'a government,' I guarantee that someone would have said - 'but some countries like North Korea aren't responsible enough...etc.'

psychic_satori
Which is why I approve of someone being able to defend himself/herself from said unpredictable person. Why is it that you think only someone who owns a gun can be unpredictable? A burly man could come to my home in the middle of a night, break a window in the first floor and smother me in my sleep. Should we ban pillows and plastic bags?

Basic psychology and common sense decrees that a man with a gun is more likely to attempt murder than a man with a large pair of shoulders and a plastic bag. Pulling a trigger is significantly easier than holding a bag over the head of a person struggling for their life. It's more stress free for the murderer.

psychic_satori
A crime of passion can be committed by any type of weapon.

See above.

psychic_satori
Did you go to the trouble to research how many of these burglars use legally obtained firearms, and how many bought theirs from the black market?

Burglars don't just come into your house with a Swagbag and swipe the TV, do they? I'm pretty sure that registered firearms are one of the first things that a burglar would take (although I admit that you'd have to be stupid to leave your gun on the table downstairs before going to bed). If the firearm isn't one they stole, then they might have 'borrowed' it from a friend or even own a legit. one themselves - some burglars don't have a criminal record - having never been caught.

psychic_satori
This is assuming that I would use a firearm in the instance of a burglary, which is idiotic. I only believe in using violence to protect myself from harm. How selfish of me!

You're saying that if he surprised you on the stairs and you both raised your guns, neither of you would shoot? Basic reaction: 'I better shoot him first!'
I commend you if you'd attempt to persuade a hardened burglar to put his gun down.

psychic_satori
Right, and if I didn't have a gun, then he'd just shoot me immediately and I'd have no chance. How is this the better option for me, the hypothetical victim of crime?

Burglars don't break and enter to kill the inhabitants of the house - that's what murderers do. A burglar's objective is usually to nick stuff and get away without being caught. Ok, so some will tie you up - but they generally wont shoot you unless you try to be a hero.

psychic_satori
I think that's just been the British people on this discussion who've said that. Obviously, you need to have more community gatherings, or something, because you think the hypothetical man down the street with a gun is just plotting to murder all of you. In contrast, I trust my neighbors a lot more than I trust a stranger.

We have a very impersonal society here.

psychic_satori
Yeah, I mean, you're not allowed to own guns in the UK, so only the outlaws have them. It's much safer that way.

At least we don't have gung-ho citizens carrying firearms. I have not heard of one gun crime in my county...ever (unless you count air rifles and BB guns -.-). I have confidence in the police - if they think they're dealing with an armed suspect, they bring out the MP5s, enough said. I'd feel a lot more unsafe if many people carried guns. Nutcases can get hold of guns easily in the US pretty easily, so long as they don't start foaming at the mouth whilst getting a permit (Overgeneralisation alert!).

psychic_satori
Such a shame, really. Americans not being naive like the Europeans. Where do I get off wanting to keep myself protected from an attacker?! He's just misunderstood. If he needs to kill me to feel better, I should be a willing participant! Moral relativism at it's finest!

Oh, the sarcasm!

We have far less gun crimes amongst the civilian population. We feel reasonably safe and have every reason to be. The only real gun crimes happen in gang warfare in cities like London. Besides - if you're burgled by a gun wielding pack of loons, just do what they say and let the insurance company sort things out. I'd feel safer doing that than bursting out of my bedroom in pyjamas, with a gun, and getting shot by an armed intruder who's ready for you.

psychic_satori
Well, how shall I ever get over being a violent, behind-the-times American? I'll just have to ride my horse to the salloon, have some Jack Daniels, fire off some gunshots into the ceiling to celebrate how incredibly inferior my culture is to yours. It'll be grand.

You may be ahead in everything else (you are), but you still can't seem to grasp the concept of using diplomacy to settle things, rather than a gun.

psychic_satori
Don't worry, I never expected you to have tact. You're from Europe, you're obviously superior to me in every way. How silly of me, a humble non-European, to forget to kneel before you.

Well, how very kind of you.
I have no superiority complex - see this post I made:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost.php?p=1200426&postcount=415
Will
They didn't - but that is what this topic is meant to be about.

But then a post brought up general gun ownership rights, which was when I stepped in with my opinion.

Don't tell me that you never get that feeling of power when you hold a gun in your hand. That sudden realisation that you can now control whether someone is to live or die.

I don't point guns at people. #1 safety rule, you don't point a gun at something unless you are willing to shoot it.

I used burglars as my example. Burglars generally don't know if the subject of the burglary is going to be armed or not, unless they're wildly brandishing a gun in their front garden during the time when the burglar cases the joint. Therefore they will 'attack' a property even if the owner has a gun - that fact is unknown to the burglar. The result - probably a deadly blunder.

Ah, well, perhaps you forgot that burglary is breaking into a building/residence to commit a crime. Robbery is the break-in where the criminal has a weapon and attacks. And, as I said, I would not use a gun to stave off some robber. I would only use a firearm to protect my life. Your illustration is a bad one.

Basic psychology and common sense decrees that a man with a gun is more likely to attempt murder than a man with a large pair of shoulders and a plastic bag. Pulling a trigger is significantly easier than holding a bag over the head of a person struggling for their life. It's more stress free for the murderer.

And so because some people have used guns for wrong, I shouldn't be able to protect myself with a gun? That's painting everyone with the same brush.

Burglars don't just come into your house with a Swagbag and swipe the TV, do they? I'm pretty sure that registered firearms are one of the first things that a burglar would take (although I admit that you'd have to be stupid to leave your gun on the table downstairs before going to bed).

You're basing your presumption that a burglar can just waltz into a home and penetrate a gun safe? He'd have to be the most patient and organized burglar in history.

If the firearm isn't one they stole, then they might have 'borrowed' it from a friend or even own a legit. one themselves - some burglars don't have a criminal record - having never been caught.

Yeah, I'm sure that someone is going to be stupid enough to *loan a firearm to a friend*. They aren't like lawnmowers, or something. Anyone who asks someone to borrow a gun would be automatically suspected as having bad intentions, and a gun owner isn't going to lend his gun. That'd be like calling up a friend "Hey, can you stop by my ex-wife's house, I need you to put your fingerprints on a knife for me..."

You're saying that if he surprised you on the stairs and you both raised your guns, neither of you would shoot? Basic reaction: 'I better shoot him first!'
I commend you if you'd attempt to persuade a hardened burglar to put his gun down.

As I said, private property is not a reason to risk one's life, or the life of another. You are trying to belittle my argument by putting it in a petty context.

Burglars don't break and enter to kill the inhabitants of the house - that's what murderers do. A burglar's objective is usually to nick stuff and get away without being caught. Ok, so some will tie you up - but they generally wont shoot you unless you try to be a hero.

Ok, for future reference, remember that a robber is the violent one, a burglar is unarmed. And, you can see above regarding your silly little scenario.

We have a very impersonal society here.

No wonder.

At least we don't have gung-ho citizens carrying firearms. I have not heard of one gun crime in my county...ever (unless you count air rifles and BB guns -.-).

One...ever? Are you a hermit? You have access to the internet, do you actually *read* the news? I did a simple google search for gun crime in Britain and found lots of evidence suggesting otherwise. I sorted through to find a few articles for you, so that you may become enlightened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3195908.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2640817.stm

I have confidence in the police - if they think they're dealing with an armed suspect, they bring out the MP5s, enough said. I'd feel a lot more unsafe if many people carried guns.

Why would you feel less safe? What if the armed suspect is in your home pointing a gun in your face? If you had a gun, then you would have a chance at shooting him first. But, you know, those police, when they get there, are really reliable. Of course, it doesn't take 15-20 minutes to shoot someone.

We have far less gun crimes amongst the civilian population. We feel reasonably safe and have every reason to be.

I feel reasonably safer owning a gun. Why rob me of my sense of safety because some people have used guns to commit crimes before?

The only real gun crimes happen in gang warfare in cities like London.

Same as in the States. Of course, it's less covered because the media are frightened to travel to the scary gang-areas, and sensationalizing stories of youths killing others gets more viewers.

Besides - if you're burgled by a gun wielding pack of loons, just do what they say and let the insurance company sort things out. I'd feel safer doing that than bursting out of my bedroom in pyjamas, with a gun, and getting shot by an armed intruder who's ready for you.

Once again, your example is not a valid reason to use self-defense, as you were not immediately threatened by his presense.

You may be ahead in everything else (you are), but you still can't seem to grasp the concept of using diplomacy to settle things, rather than a gun.

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word alone." If someone intends to murder me, obviously I'm going to try to talk him out of it, but I like the idea of having a safety net if that doesn't work.
Reply 108
Douglas
copies and pasted
Guns, in all applications and under all conditions and circumstances, routinely kill far fewer Americans annually than a number of other unrelated causes. In fact, as Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck has regularly proven, guns actually save about 2.5 million lives a year.

i think you will find that in 1999 out of 5.78 homocides per 100,000 population 3.72 were firearm related http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvintl.html#intl

lookie here too: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/offreported/02-nmurder03.html#t213 (2002 because 2003 were prelimary)

firearms are used heavily...
Reply 109
psychic_satori
But then a post brought up general gun ownership rights, which was when I stepped in with my opinion.
Good points.
psychic_satori

Ok - point taken. I didn't read all the posts.

psychic_satori
I don't point guns at people. #1 safety rule, you don't point a gun at something unless you are willing to shoot it.

I didn't mention pointing the gun at someone - I just said holding the gun (and a few thoughts). The point is that you could immediately snuff out somebody's life if you chose to do so. The temptation to use it is always there - just because the gun is always there.

psychic_satori
Ah, well, perhaps you forgot that burglary is breaking into a building/residence to commit a crime. Robbery is the break-in where the criminal has a weapon and attacks. And, as I said, I would not use a gun to stave off some robber. I would only use a firearm to protect my life. Your illustration is a bad one.

The meanings of words in the US and the UK are slightly different. Here we tend to use 'Burglary,' 'Robbery' and 'Armed Robbery.' If a break in is accompanied by a weapon of some sort - the modifier 'Armed' is generally added to the front. Sorry if there was some confusion.

And you wouldn't be tempted to reach for your gun if you heard someone break in downstairs?

psychic_satori
And so because some people have used guns for wrong, I shouldn't be able to protect myself with a gun? That's painting everyone with the same brush.

Guns were designed as weapons to inflict personal injury. You don't see gun manufacturers making their weapons less lethal so they can be used as 'deterrents' do you? No - they make them more lethal so that they're more likely to knock someone down or kill them. I'm not saying that you're going to go on a shooting spree - it's the principle of armed civilians that I disagree with. I feel that there is too much margin for error in giving civilians guns.

psychic_satori
You're basing your presumption that a burglar can just waltz into a home and penetrate a gun safe? He'd have to be the most patient and organized burglar in history.

No - read the words in brackets in my last post. I said that you'd have to be pretty stupid to leave a gun where a burglar might get hold of it easily. That implies that a burglar breaking in to get a firearm is unlikely - but if he saw it lying there - he'd take it.

psychic_satori
Yeah, I'm sure that someone is going to be stupid enough to *loan a firearm to a friend*. They aren't like lawnmowers, or something. Anyone who asks someone to borrow a gun would be automatically suspected as having bad intentions, and a gun owner isn't going to lend his gun. That'd be like calling up a friend "Hey, can you stop by my ex-wife's house, I need you to put your fingerprints on a knife for me..."

I see your point there. I still maintain that many burglars aren't caught and so could easily acquire a permit.

psychic_satori
As I said, private property is not a reason to risk one's life, or the life of another. You are trying to belittle my argument by putting it in a petty context.

Well - at least you agree with me there. I'm sure you'd still grab your gun if it was within reach if you heard a break-in.

What are the main points of your argument again? I'll sum mine up at the end of my post - you should do the same so I can quickly refer to it.

psychic_satori
Ok, for future reference, remember that a robber is the violent one, a burglar is unarmed. And, you can see above regarding your silly little scenario.

Also see above for lexical differences in American English and English.

psychic_satori
No wonder.

Well - this kind of society has grown up in Europe during WW2 and the Cold War. Those wars (especially the Cold War) were all about being suspicious of your neighbour (WW2 never came to your homes). The media also help to spread seeds of mistrust - especially the trashy media that is so prevalent in Europe. Back in the 50s even, neighbours would stop to chat every morning over the fence. Now the fences are above head height.

psychic_satori
One...ever? Are you a hermit? You have access to the internet, do you actually *read* the news? I did a simple google search for gun crime in Britain and found lots of evidence suggesting otherwise. I sorted through to find a few articles for you, so that you may become enlightened.

I said county not country. The only gun crime I've heard of was when a boy got shot accidentally on a night hunting expedition. Oh - but there was a murder earlier this year of a retired army officer. A very professional killing with a shotgun on the front porch apparently. So I suppose there are some - but they're just random individuals. It isn't like I need to carry a gun just because of this.

psychic_satori
Why would you feel less safe? What if the armed suspect is in your home pointing a gun in your face? If you had a gun, then you would have a chance at shooting him first. But, you know, those police, when they get there, are really reliable. Of course, it doesn't take 15-20 minutes to shoot someone.

It's highly unlikely that you're going to have your gun out at the time when the armed suspect attacks you. If you reach for your pocket or start twisting the dial on the gun safe (Yes - I know that's just stupid) then he's going to shoot you, so what's the point in owning the gun?

psychic_satori
I feel reasonably safer owning a gun. Why rob me of my sense of safety because some people have used guns to commit crimes before?

It's just the principle of it - as I've said.

psychic_satori
Once again, your example is not a valid reason to use self-defense, as you were not immediately threatened by his presense.

If an intruder in your house doesn't make you feel threatened, then I don't know what does. Anyway - you could use the excuse of self-defence under a great many circumstances. Tell me this: If an intruder points a gun at you and you don't know their intentions - are you allowed to shoot them?

psychic_satori
"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word alone." If someone intends to murder me, obviously I'm going to try to talk him out of it, but I like the idea of having a safety net if that doesn't work.

You're displaying that complete difference in culture again, and I'm beginning to see the futility in arguing with you - the culture gulf is too wide.

And why on Earth are you quoting Al Capone (Of all people!) when you're trying to justify civilian gun ownership? What that quote means is: 'You can get further if you threaten someone with a gun than you would with threats alone.' It's a matter of interpretation. I think my interpretation is probably more fitting, as the quoted person is Al Capone.

To sum up:
- I am against the idea of civilian ownership of handguns and automatics for the purposes of 'Self-Defence.'
- I accept civilian ownership of hunting rifles and ordinary shotguns if they (the owners) have a practical use for it such as hunting or killing animals that prey on livestock.
- I believe that the ownership of a gun presents an unnecessary temptation to use it.
- I believe that the value of the gun in self-defence is negligible compared to its capacity for committing murder.
- Allowing civilians to own handguns and automatics just doesn't seem morally right.
Will
I didn't mention pointing the gun at someone - I just said holding the gun (and a few thoughts). The point is that you could immediately snuff out somebody's life if you chose to do so. The temptation to use it is always there - just because the gun is always there.

No, I don't think about it like that. I think that your culture has stigmatized firearms so much that you can't possibly picture some person holding a gun and not thinking about going on a killing spree. Not everyone with a gun is a homicidal maniac or a power-hungry goon.

The meanings of words in the US and the UK are slightly different. Here we tend to use 'Burglary,' 'Robbery' and 'Armed Robbery.' If a break in is accompanied by a weapon of some sort - the modifier 'Armed' is generally added to the front. Sorry if there was some confusion.

I just checked the Oxford English dictionary, and it's the same as mine, actually.

And you wouldn't be tempted to reach for your gun if you heard someone break in downstairs?

I would get my gun, but I wouldn't kick down the door and rush out, guns a-blazing. You watch too much television.

Guns were designed as weapons to inflict personal injury. You don't see gun manufacturers making their weapons less lethal so they can be used as 'deterrents' do you? No - they make them more lethal so that they're more likely to knock someone down or kill them. I'm not saying that you're going to go on a shooting spree - it's the principle of armed civilians that I disagree with. I feel that there is too much margin for error in giving civilians guns.

Well, if you, a civilian, can't trust your own group, then who can you trust?! I'm sorry if I seem frustrated, but it just seems contrary to common sense to prefer arming everyone BUT the common man. I'm glad I live in a country where I can trust my neighbor more than a criminal.

No - read the words in brackets in my last post. I said that you'd have to be pretty stupid to leave a gun where a burglar might get hold of it easily. That implies that a burglar breaking in to get a firearm is unlikely - but if he saw it lying there - he'd take it.

Ok, then that comment was basically pointless, as I'm sure a burglar would take anything with any value laying about.

Well - at least you agree with me there. I'm sure you'd still grab your gun if it was within reach if you heard a break-in.

Holding a gun and using a gun are two different things, which you cannot seem to separate from one another.

Well - this kind of society has grown up in Europe during WW2 and the Cold War. Those wars (especially the Cold War) were all about being suspicious of your neighbour (WW2 never came to your homes). The media also help to spread seeds of mistrust - especially the trashy media that is so prevalent in Europe. Back in the 50s even, neighbours would stop to chat every morning over the fence. Now the fences are above head height.

We were rather involved in the Cold War, too, but it was more about being suspicious of foreigners and people with different political beliefs, as opposed to regular people that you knew personally. However, in contrast to the European "get rid of guns, so only criminals have them" idea, Americans preferred to arm themselves for protection, if they were particularly paranoid of Communists storming their home or something.

I said county not country. The only gun crime I've heard of was when a boy got shot accidentally on a night hunting expedition. Oh - but there was a murder earlier this year of a retired army officer. A very professional killing with a shotgun on the front porch apparently. So I suppose there are some - but they're just random individuals. It isn't like I need to carry a gun just because of this.

Sorry that I didn't read closely enough. You know how it gets with these mile-long posts. In my home (away from my uni) county, there is basically no gun violence, or accidental gun injuries, and practically every home has at least one gun in it. I think our last gun-related crime was the murder of a Russian exchange student at the university, and it's pretty widely held that he was executed by the Russian mafia, so that can't really be attributed to people in the county. Just goes to show that having lots of guns does not mean gun violence. Also, there is very little crime where I live, because private gun ownership is so prevalent.

It's highly unlikely that you're going to have your gun out at the time when the armed suspect attacks you. If you reach for your pocket or start twisting the dial on the gun safe (Yes - I know that's just stupid) then he's going to shoot you, so what's the point in owning the gun?

That might work for a deaf/blind person, but I think if I heard footsteps in my home, I would get my gun out then. Anyway, is this a robber or is this just a random murderer? If it's a robber, then he's probably not planning on shooting me, unless he "has" to. If a murderer, then at least I've got a shot (pardon the pun) of hitting him first. It's better than having no chance, without a gun.

It's just the principle of it - as I've said.

Well, I disagree with the principle of taking away my right to own a firearm just because other people have abused their privilege. Think of it this way, it's like enacting prohibition of alcohol because some people drive while drunk and cause fatal car accidents. Now, everyone hasn't committed that crime, so why should everyone be punished for it?

If an intruder in your house doesn't make you feel threatened, then I don't know what does.

I said you weren't *immediately* threatened by his presence. As in, the intruder is in another room, you'd have to be a cavalier moron to go out and shoot him if he's not in your face, ready to harm you.

Anyway - you could use the excuse of self-defence under a great many circumstances. Tell me this: If an intruder points a gun at you and you don't know their intentions - are you allowed to shoot them?

Legally? Yes, it would be a reasonable self-defense case. Go back to what I said about the #1 safety rule, you only point a gun at something you are willing to shoot at. A gun pointed at you by an intruder is reason to shoot, although, most people would not shoot this person unless he were being more aggressive than just pointing a gun at you. For instance, if he said "Look, I'm not going to hurt you, don't move. I'm just going to take this stuff and leave" any reasonable person would not fire on him.

You're displaying that complete difference in culture again, and I'm beginning to see the futility in arguing with you - the culture gulf is too wide.

Agreed. I can promise you that you will not persuade me to oppose the right of someone to own a firearm.

And why on Earth are you quoting Al Capone (Of all people!) when you're trying to justify civilian gun ownership? What that quote means is: 'You can get further if you threaten someone with a gun than you would with threats alone.' It's a matter of interpretation. I think my interpretation is probably more fitting, as the quoted person is Al Capone.

The quote fit for my use of it. I know what Capone's interpretation was, but I was not using it in his context, but in my own. As you read in the paragraph where I said that quote, if someone were intending to murder me, I would obviously try to talk him out of it, but I prefer having a safety net in the instance that my persuasion were lost on the attacker. Make sense?

- I am against the idea of civilian ownership of handguns and automatics for the purposes of 'Self-Defence.'
- I accept civilian ownership of hunting rifles and ordinary shotguns if they (the owners) have a practical use for it such as hunting or killing animals that prey on livestock.
- I believe that the ownership of a gun presents an unnecessary temptation to use it.
- I believe that the value of the gun in self-defence is negligible compared to its capacity for committing murder.
- Allowing civilians to own handguns and automatics just doesn't seem morally right.

My summation:
-I believe that a law-abiding citizen should be permitted to own firearms, as criminals will find a way to get them anyhow.
-I find it unfair to take away a civilian's right to own a firearm just because criminals can use them in crimes, as there are plenty of citizens who have never violated the law with their guns.
-Preventing civilians from being able to protect themselves seems immoral.
-Civilian possession of firearms serves as a deterrent to centralized control of society.

I'm not that great with these talking points, but basically, my opinions are the polar opposite of yours, with the exception of your approval of rifles and shotguns for hunting, which I agree with.
Reply 112
psychic_satori
My summation:
-I believe that a law-abiding citizen should be permitted to own firearms, as criminals will find a way to get them anyhow.
-I find it unfair to take away a civilian's right to own a firearm just because criminals can use them in crimes, as there are plenty of citizens who have never violated the law with their guns.
-Civilian possession of firearms serves as a deterrent to centralized control of society.

I'm not that great with these talking points, but basically, my opinions are the polar opposite of yours, with the exception of your approval of rifles and shotguns for hunting, which I agree with.

See, that's the mindset and insanity of the polititions. If 3% of the population are criminals with guns, then the solution is, to ban all guns. It violates the cost/benefit ratio, the cost being all law abiding citizens can't have guns, all criminals will have the benefit of having guns
Douglas, you're my new best friend :smile:
psychic_satori

My summation:

Ok, I'm willing to make some concessions. I don't have a set mind in any given argument and I'm always going to respond favourably if I see some good evidence to support the other side.

I agree with you on some things, but disagree with others.

But first, a few things to clear up:
- I don't watch television except for news and documentaries.
- I apologise for creating unrealistic scenarios. They were rather stereotyped...

Right then. Why does a civilian need a gun to defend their home? Surely
improvised weapons in the event of a break-in etc. can serve just as good a purpose? I'm not saying that you have to keep a cricket/baseball bat at the end of your bed, but the gun isn't necessary - unless you're pretty certain that an intruder will carry a gun. Taking away your right to own a firearm isn't taking away your right to protect yourself and your property with whatever you can lay your hands on at the time, so that negates your third point.
Anyway, if you have a hunting rifle...for hunting, you could probably dispense with the handguns and allow it to double up as a defensive weapon if you're so scared of criminals.

As for centralisation and decentralisation in a country...well they both have their merits, but I won't go into that.

I know that you don't, but I see every civilian as a potential criminal - the gun can act as a temptation, and there are those in society who give in easily to temptation. That's why I'm against the idea of them being given to civilians.

So, a summing up of my stance now:
- I approve of the ownership of hunting rifles and shotguns if your occupation (usually a farmer) or hunting hobby requires you to own one.
- I also approve of the usage in self-defence of said weapons if you happen to own one for the reasons above.
- I think that citizens should be allowed to protect themselves, but shouldn't buy a gun solely for this purpose. Anything can be used as a weapon - why must they own a gun?

Cheers.
Will
Right then. Why does a civilian need a gun to defend their home? Surely
improvised weapons in the event of a break-in etc. can serve just as good a purpose? I'm not saying that you have to keep a cricket/baseball bat at the end of your bed, but the gun isn't necessary - unless you're pretty certain that an intruder will carry a gun.

Actually, if you think about it, an improvised weapon leaves more probability of both intruder and victim getting hurt. Most improvised weapons require being at close range to use them, and, since those weapons are less threatening, it's almost a sure thing that violence will occur. However, in the case of a gun, you can sit across the room, pointing it at the door, and tell the intruder to get lost. If you're across the room with a baseball bat, or something, it still might scare him off, but it is more likely to come to physical blows. And, if the intruder has a gun, he'll just laugh at the bat and shoot you.

Taking away your right to own a firearm isn't taking away your right to protect yourself and your property with whatever you can lay your hands on at the time, so that negates your third point.

I can use my shoe to drive a nail into a wall, but a hammer works a lot better. I don't like the idea of someone preventing me from protecting my safety in the best, most effective manner. I don't like people taking rights away from me for my "own good." It insinuates that the average citizen is less than competent, which I find to be offensive.

Anyway, if you have a hunting rifle...for hunting, you could probably dispense with the handguns and allow it to double up as a defensive weapon if you're so scared of criminals.

A hunting rifle is for long-range shooting, and the barrell is too long to be controlled well at the close range that self-defense occurs in. Also, it can be more easily manipulated by the attacker, making it useless for self-defense, unless you're defending yourself.

As for centralisation and decentralisation in a country...well they both have their merits, but I won't go into that.

I meant centralization of power, as in a tyrannical dictator, which I don't think has many merits.

I know that you don't, but I see every civilian as a potential criminal

Well, there goes "innocent until proven guilty." I just can't understand how you can look at your fellow citizens as possessing such criminal tendencies. It boggles the mind.

the gun can act as a temptation, and there are those in society who give in easily to temptation. That's why I'm against the idea of them being given to civilians.

A gun possesses no more evil temptation to it than a car or knife. Should we get rid of those, too?

So, a summing up of my stance now:
- I approve of the ownership of hunting rifles and shotguns if your occupation (usually a farmer) or hunting hobby requires you to own one.

Good

- I also approve of the usage in self-defence of said weapons if you happen to own one for the reasons above.

As I said, it's not feasible to use those weapons for self-defence purposes.

- I think that citizens should be allowed to protect themselves, but shouldn't buy a gun solely for this purpose. Anything can be used as a weapon - why must they own a gun?

Because none of those weapons of opportunity are as effective and efficient as a handgun. Can a ball bat/lamp/anything-else stop an average-sized man from several feet away. You'd have to be awfully good with throwing knives to achieve the any comparable protection.

Cheers.

This is off topic, but I wish I had an equivalent American thing to say to that. :biggrin:
Reply 116
psychic_satori
Douglas, you're my new best friend :smile:

Thanks Marlon, you have many good points in your posts that deserve recognition.
Reply 117
tkfmbp
Just a thought.

you can't stop it, but.... if assault rifles are illegal you can arrest a person for having one or selling them. You can't stop crime but in order to inforce the law the crime must be illegal so to speak in the first place. Ie. a guy walks into a post office with a semi automatic rifle, ok so the security guard knows this is gonna be ugly, however the guy has a permit to carry the rifle so the guard can't do anything till he starts firing, then it's too late. Just an example of why they need to reinstate the ban. Seriously though there is no reason for anyone other than millitary personel to have these guns in there possesion.
Infinity
you can't stop it, but.... if assault rifles are illegal you can arrest a person for having one or selling them. You can't stop crime but in order to inforce the law the crime must be illegal so to speak in the first place. Ie. a guy walks into a post office with a semi automatic rifle, ok so the security guard knows this is gonna be ugly, however the guy has a permit to carry the rifle so the guard can't do anything till he starts firing, then it's too late. Just an example of why they need to reinstate the ban. Seriously though there is no reason for anyone other than millitary personel to have these guns in there possesion.

That's not a good example, as permits for such weapons cover use at personal residence or sporting clubs, NOT public buildings. You are not allowed to carry any gun on you in the post office, except if you have a concealed handgun permit, and those only work for handguns.

Look, the whole reason why the ban is stupid is because it just limits the ability of law-abiding citizens to have the weapons, but criminals obtain them anyway. The price of assault rifles or automatic weapons ensure that people who own them keep them protected from theft. Additionally, the previous ban was kind of pointless because most of the guns were still sold, they just had to change their names, or reduce the number of rounds per clip. I mean, I'm not saying lots of people need to own automatic weapons, but the ban was more for show than results. It just drove up the prices for the weapons under their new names, and made it more difficult for police to procure them with their scanty budgets.
Reply 119
psychic_satori
That's not a good example, as permits for such weapons cover use at personal residence or sporting clubs, NOT public buildings. You are not allowed to carry any gun on you in the post office, except if you have a concealed handgun permit, and those only work for handguns.

Look, the whole reason why the ban is stupid is because it just limits the ability of law-abiding citizens to have the weapons, but criminals obtain them anyway. The price of assault rifles or automatic weapons ensure that people who own them keep them protected from theft. Additionally, the previous ban was kind of pointless because most of the guns were still sold, they just had to change their names, or reduce the number of rounds per clip. I mean, I'm not saying lots of people need to own automatic weapons, but the ban was more for show than results. It just drove up the prices for the weapons under their new names, and made it more difficult for police to procure them with their scanty budgets.

I never said it was a good example, my point however still stands that if they are illegal then the people selling them can be arrested for doing so. Of course criminals will still find ways to purchase such weapons but I do not see any reason for a law abiding civilian to own one, the only reason you would need that much fire power would be to take out numerous targets not just one individual threat to your self or property. Besides where do you draw the line? Weapons are becoming more advanced everyday. Sorry but I really don't like the idea of knowing my neighbor {who has threatened to shut my dog up permanently} can go and buy an AK 47 legally. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending