The Student Room Group

Can native speakers pass MFL A-levels without revision ?

Was having a discussion with a friend (she does German, I do French A level) and we were debating whether or not a student fluent in both English and the language they're studying would be able to pass without any revision.

There's the nitty gritty aspect of the course (understanding why grammar is why it is and where to use it etc) but also the knowing how to say the content in the language. A native would know how to say it but not necessarily why it's said that way, is what we were discussing. Would this be okay to get a good grade or at least pass ?

Do you think they'd be able to, or do you know anyone who has done something like this ?
I appreciate your responses !
Reply 1
Original post by puffinPolyglot
Was having a discussion with a friend (she does German, I do French A level) and we were debating whether or not a student fluent in both English and the language they're studying would be able to pass without any revision.

There's the nitty gritty aspect of the course (understanding why grammar is why it is and where to use it etc) but also the knowing how to say the content in the language. A native would know how to say it but not necessarily why it's said that way, is what we were discussing. Would this be okay to get a good grade or at least pass ?

Do you think they'd be able to, or do you know anyone who has done something like this ?
I appreciate your responses !

If they're fully native they could get an A* as long as they have good exam technique, and also studied the literature (which is a component of the new A Level).
You don't need to know what a grammar rule is to get a good grade in A Level, it's second nature to them.

Just like English speakers, can you tell me why in formal settings we say for example:
"I recommend he be suspended from the organisation until further notice".
Which as face value is incorrect conjugation

Quick Reply

Latest