Can I change my earrings after I get them pierced? Watch

NeedSomeHelpBro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got my ears pierced 3 days ago at the mall.. my situation was I was trying to get a certain pair of hoop earrings pierced but all the places didn't sell the hoops I was looking for. I left the mall and went to a store that sold the ones I wanted, problem was no piercing place would use the earrings I bought outside of the mall.. So I had to re-pierce my ears there at the mall but with small studs. Now the earrings I want to wear are hoops, but the piercing guy said I have to wait 4-6 weeks before taking them out.. a year straight for them not to close. Can I just take them out real quick and switch them to the ones I want? I don't want my ears to get infected but it's like.. I don't wanna wear these small studs haha. I'm so impatient.. so my question is.. can I quickly change them? Or will it mess me up? I had my ears pierced back in 2012 when I was in high school, but they've been closed for years. I know what the process is like.. can I quickly just swap them out and leave them in for a year or however long im supposed to so they don't close? how long is that anyway? I heard it was a year. anyway can yall help me out?
Ally-mai
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Generally they use thicker studs for piercing, which will be why they couldn't pierce them with your hoops. Would not recommend. (Especially depending on their metal.)
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would strongly advise against it, unless you can do it in a completely sterile way (ie. boil the piercing in water, clean the skin as thoroughly as possible, wear surgical gloves etc). It would be much easier and much less risky to wait the 4-6 weeks.
NeedSomeHelpBro
Rep:
?
(Original post by umbrellala)
I would strongly advise against it, unless you can do it in a completely sterile way (ie. boil the piercing in water, clean the skin as thoroughly as possible, wear surgical gloves etc). It would be much easier and much less risky to wait the 4-6 weeks.
Is it really that risky? I've googled this question and half have said.. theyve done things like that and they were fine and the other half said.. baiscally don't do it. I'm so undecided because its not like im trying to wear 50 different pairs its just one pair I wanna wear for a year max whatever it is.. I dont plan on taking this second pair out. Will it really affect me that bad? Im about to wait but im so impatient haha
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NeedSomeHelpBro)
Is it really that risky? I've googled this question and half have said.. theyve done things like that and they were fine and the other half said.. baiscally don't do it. I'm so undecided because its not like im trying to wear 50 different pairs its just one pair I wanna wear for a year max whatever it is.. I dont plan on taking this second pair out. Will it really affect me that bad? Im about to wait but im so impatient haha
I really wouldn't risk it, it's not long to wait and I'm sure you'd rather wait than be dealing with an infection. The only circumstance I'd change a piercing early is if I'd been pierced with a low-quality piece of jewellery and wanted to put in some proper surgical steel jewellery instead. Unless your jewellery is disrupting the healing process, it's much better just to leave it. I've changed jewellery early once before and it wasn't pretty, so all my other piercings I've left alone.
NeedSomeHelpBro
Rep:
?
I really wouldn't risk it, it's not long to wait and I'm sure you'd rather wait than be dealing with an infection. The only circumstance I'd change a piercing early is if I'd been pierced with a low-quality piece of jewellery and wanted to put in some proper surgical steel jewellery instead. Unless your jewellery is disrupting the healing process, it's much better just to leave it. I've changed jewellery early once before and it wasn't pretty, so all my other piercings I've left alone.
I got you.. so should I wait 6 weeks exactly you think? And what about after I swap em? How long should I keep em in after that so they don't close. I want them to be permanent. What's the normal time for that if you do know?
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got you.. so should I wait 6 weeks exactly you think? And what about after I swap em? How long should I keep em in after that so they don't close. I want them to be permanent. What's the normal time for that if you do know?
6 weeks should be fine depending on your personal healing time. If when you switch them the piercing is still sore or raw then I wouldn't change them again for another week or two.

Once you've changed them for the first time and everything went well, you can change them as often as you want from then onwards. I would avoid leaving your piercings without jewellery in them for another 3 or 4 weeks because I've found that it's during this time they're most likely to close up again. After that, you can start to build up the amount of time you take your jewellery out for, starting with an hour or two. After a few weeks you should be able to leave your earrings out all day before putting them back in without them closing up. It might seem like a bit of an annoying process (which it is haha) but from my experience it's the quickest way to do it.

For me it usually takes about a year to get to the point where I can leave them without jewellery for a week or so and still have the piercings the same as before.

-Remember though that this advice only applies to lobe piercings if you end up getting any others done in the future
NeedSomeHelpBro
Rep:
?
6 weeks should be fine depending on your personal healing time. If when you switch them the piercing is still sore or raw then I wouldn't change them again for another week or two.

Once you've changed them for the first time and everything went well, you can change them as often as you want from then onwards. I would avoid leaving your piercings without jewellery in them for another 3 or 4 weeks because I've found that it's during this time they're most likely to close up again. After that, you can start to build up the amount of time you take your jewellery out for, starting with an hour or two. After a few weeks you should be able to leave your earrings out all day before putting them back in without them closing up. It might seem like a bit of an annoying process (which it is haha) but from my experience it's the quickest way to do it.

For me it usually takes about a year to get to the point where I can leave them without jewellery for a week or so and still have the piercings the same as before.

-Remember though that this advice only applies to lobe piercings if you end up getting any others done in the future
Gotcha, loving the advice. And yes it is my lobe. So after 6 weeks im basically all set. Then after I swap em.. add another 3-4 weeks? I planned on keeping em in for the full year and hoping at the end when I do take them out it will stay and be permanent. That's my goal. I know life gets in the way of that though, but yeah thats what I want. You said after a year it gets to the point where you can leave them in without jewlery for a week? just a week? do they close that easily after? I just want them to eventually be permanent. Sucks I gotta wait the 6 weeks. I'm just so excited to wear my new earrings and now I have to wait haha
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Gotcha, loving the advice. And yes it is my lobe. So after 6 weeks im basically all set. Then after I swap em.. add another 3-4 weeks? I planned on keeping em in for the full year and hoping at the end when I do take them out it will stay and be permanent. That's my goal. I know life gets in the way of that though, but yeah thats what I want. You said after a year it gets to the point where you can leave them in without jewlery for a week? just a week? do they close that easily after? I just want them to eventually be permanent. Sucks I gotta wait the 6 weeks. I'm just so excited to wear my new earrings and now I have to wait haha
No problem! It will really depend on your own body as to how long it will take them to become 'permanent'. Since I very rarely take my jewellery out, they tend to close up slightly (I can still get earrings through quite easily, just not the thicker pieces) after a week but if you take out your jewellery often then they should become permanent within a year. You'll have to see how it goes, but it's different for everyone.
pippa2.1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have to wait at least 6 weeks before taking out starter earrings. Have to. Mine hadn't healed after that. And as for hoops, you have to wait at least 6 months before wearing them. I've had my ears pierced for over 6 months, and I tried to put hoops in. Basically, it hurt a lot and I had to take them out after 5 minutes. They were just pulling my lobes down and it was not good.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The poster above has a point too! If you're going to do hoops, make sure they're very small (as in the kind of hoops that are close to your lobe rather than the bigger ones). You can try the big ones once you're certain they're fully healed, but little hoops will work best at first, and it prevents the piercings from getting stretched
NeedSomeHelpBro
Rep:
?
No problem! It will really depend on your own body as to how long it will take them to become 'permanent'. Since I very rarely take my jewellery out, they tend to close up slightly (I can still get earrings through quite easily, just not the thicker pieces) after a week but if you take out your jewellery often then they should become permanent within a year. You'll have to see how it goes, but it's different for everyone.
The poster above has a point too! If you're going to do hoops, make sure they're very small (as in the kind of hoops that are close to your lobe rather than the bigger ones). You can try the big ones once you're certain they're fully healed, but little hoops will work best at first, and it prevents the piercings from getting stretched
So I noticed you said that they tend to close up because you rarely take them out? I'm confused? I thought keeping them in would make it more permanent because they don't heal aka keeping them open? So I have to take them out and keep them out eventually for them to become permanent? I don't know how that works. I planned on keeping them in after I swap em for a year to make them permanent. Obviously some days I may take them out but I plan on keeping them in as much as possible. And about the bigger hoops.. big hoops? Nah. I'm a guy trying to wear smaller hoops. I'm trying to wear guy hoops haha.. they look like this if your curious the size on which I plan to wear.. Name:  TILLER HOOPS.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  23.3 KB I have small studs right now.
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I noticed you said that they tend to close up because you rarely take them out? I'm confused? I thought keeping them in would make it more permanent because they don't heal aka keeping them open? So I have to take them out and keep them out eventually for them to become permanent? I don't know how that works. I planned on keeping them in after I swap em for a year to make them permanent. Obviously some days I may take them out but I plan on keeping them in as much as possible. And about the bigger hoops.. big hoops? Nah. I'm a guy trying to wear smaller hoops. I'm trying to wear guy hoops haha.. they look like this if your curious the size on which I plan to wear.. I have small studs right now.
Those rings should be fine. They close up quicker for me because my ears aren't used to being without jewellery, so as soon as they lose the metal keeping it open, they close more quickly. If you're frequently putting jewellery in and taking it out again, they won't have a chance to close up and are more used to having no jewellery in them if that makes sense. If you plan to keep your earrings in 24/7 then it doesn't really matter, but if you want to take them out for extended periods of time then they kind of need to be worked up to that so they don't close up at the first chance they get.
Ppppppppp6969
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Were these big hoops ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1303)
79.65%
Leave (333)
20.35%

Watched Threads