The Student Room Group

Maths help.

The probability of spinning a 1 on a spinner twice in a row is 1/36. Work out the angle of the sector labelled 1. (3)

I haven't been given the radius of the spinner so I can't work out the arc length or sector area and rearrange that to get the angle.
I also thought it would be 10/360 if I multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by 10 and so the angle would be 10 degrees but that seems too simple.
square root of 1/36 is 1/6 which gives you the probability of spinning a 1 (once), 360x(1/6) = 60
Reply 2
If the probability of spinning a 1 twice is 1/36, then the probability of spinning a 1 is 1/6 (1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36) So assuming the probability of each number is equal, there are 6 numbers on the spinner, and assuming each number takes up the same area, the angle will be 1/6 of 360° Hope that helps!
Original post by Maths1210
The probability of spinning a 1 on a spinner twice in a row is 1/36. Work out the angle of the sector labelled 1. (3)

I haven't been given the radius of the spinner so I can't work out the arc length or sector area and rearrange that to get the angle.
I also thought it would be 10/360 if I multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by 10 and so the angle would be 10 degrees but that seems too simple.

A spinner is in a shape of a circle, and there are 360 degrees in a circle. There are a certain amount of equal sectors with different digits on them, and they equally divide these 360 degrees.

We are told that a spinner is spun twice and the probability of getting the same value is 1/36. Clearly, when two events happen, we multiply their probabilities together. So here event is 'getting a 1' and if it happens twice we just multiply its probability by itself. If we say that it happens with probability pp, then we have p2=136p^2=\frac{1}{36} and thus we can determine what the probability is pp. This probability also tells us about the amount of sections that our circle is divided into, hence by how much we need to divide 360 by for our sector's area.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Guertena Weiss
square root of 1/36 is 1/6 which gives you the probability of spinning a 1 (once), 360x(1/6) = 60

Thank you I get this now.

Quick Reply

Latest