The Student Room Group

How do US colleges view volunteering? (Context inside)

Hey everyone!

So I am starting at Durham University this October, and being a gap-year applicant with no A-Levels to focus on, I've begun to think about options for when I finish at Durham.

I'm incredibly interested in studying in the US as a graduate student, likely in Law or Political Science. I understand that US colleges and law schools often look with great favor upon work experience, which brings me to my actual question:

Would a US college typically consider volunteering in a professional environment similarly to how they would consider paid work experience?

To give some context, for this entire school year I have been, and will continue to be, working as a tutor and teaching assistant in my old school, and seeing as that is in Durham and I will be going to university in Durham, I have been offered the opportunity to continue indefinitely. In short, by the time I come to apply for college / law school, I could well have near 4 years of experience in a professional environment under my belt.

Obviously this would do no harm to the merits of my application, but I understand that a lot of successful applicants have some experience in working: so would my experience be viewed similarly to that?

Thanks!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending