Lady Leviathan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi,

I'm an American citizen, studying history at the University of Nottingham under a student visa. I've looked at ways to extend my visa -- now, I'm thinking about going through the International Graduate Scheme, where I'm given 1 year to look for work before I can apply for a work permit. During this time I want to take a PGCE course, as I really want to teach in England.

So, to cut a long story short (maybe some of that background info helped?) I was wondering how much a PGCE course costs. I am listed as an international non-EU student when it comes to fees, but I've been living in England for three years, so does this PGCE course count as a home fee? If not, can I get a scholarship (because the teaching is listed as a shortage profession) to take on this course?

Sorry for being confusing, but I was just wondering where I stand as a non-EU international.

Also, are any of you currently teachers or in a PGCE programme? How soon did you or do you expect to find work teaching? I've been looking for the average salary of a regular teacher (teaching 14 or 15 year old students) and I haven't really come up with good data. What is the average pay rate?

Thanks for your help!
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You have to pay international fees. It's around 8500 at the Institute of Education.

Why would you do it on the International Graduates Scheme? You'd just be wasting your year, when you could do it on a student visa instead, and THEN get an international graduates visa and actually work.

Btw, the IGS is changing to be a tier under the new points based system called "Post Study Work". And you get two years instead of one.
Lady Leviathan
Rep:
?
I suppose I'd just have to extend my student visa. I wonder if I can get a scholarship, one way or another.

Thanks for the advice on the IGS and post study work info.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can't get a scholarship.
Lady Leviathan
Rep:
?
That's really frustrating. Nottingham (where I go now) gives 10% off of fees to international students who go on to study for a postgraduate degree. On top of that, there are probably some other scholarships through the international department. Financial aid in the US is really really stingy for students abroad, but, whatever.... anything is better than nothing.

Is there a fast-track PGCE certification that I can get the summer after I graduate? I'm confused as to my options.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, but you can do the GTP or TeachFirst.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.71%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.74%
I don't think they'd understand (27)
18.12%
It might lead to more bullying (55)
36.91%
There's nothing they could do (41)
27.52%

Watched Threads