The Student Room Group

Applying to courses after completing a year at uni

To consolidate what would otherwise be a long story, I didnt do aswell I wanted to in college due to a culmination of circumstances (part of which include the iB) and ended up at Surrey. I’m studying computer science here (first year) and so far it’s been pretty easy and I miss the challenge of good ol’ HL math.

That said, I’ve been getting firsts across my modules and have just put an application in for a transfer to the Bristol computer science course (2nd year) aswell as Bristol Computer Science with mathematics, Imperial college Artificial Intelligence 4 year course and Computer Science with mathematics at Imperial too (all of these are for entry into the first year).

I wanted to ask if the universities at this point would look towards my grades at iB (a rather gross 32) or my uni grades, that said I took HL Math, Physics & Chemistry with a 5 in each so i’m decent but didnt revise...etc.

I also wanted to pose the question of whether you thought it was worth it applying to oxbridge after a year at Surrey, in the event one gets accepted, by the time you enter the course at oxbridge you’ll have flushed away 2 years of uni, is that even worth it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Honne
To consolidate what would otherwise be a long story, I didnt do aswell I wanted to in college due to a culmination of circumstances (part of which include the iB) and ended up at Surrey. I’m studying computer science here (first year) and so far it’s been pretty easy and I miss the challenge of good ol’ HL math. That said, I’ve been getting firsts across my modules and have just put an application in for a transfer to the Bristol computer science course (2nd year) aswell as Bristol Computer Science with mathematics, Imperial college Artificial Intelligence 4 year course and Computer Science with mathematics at Imperial too (all of these are for entry into the first year). I wanted to ask if the universities at this point would look towards my grades at iB (a rather gross 32) or my uni grades, that said I took HL Math, Physics & Chemistry with a 5 in each so i’m decent but didnt revise...etc

Honestly you should read their web pages then make informal enquiries as to what they consider. I suspect they will look at the whole application.

Things like a good reference will stand you in good stead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending