The Student Room Group

i want to get help with my depression?

I have been struggling with what i think may be depression for just over a year now but recently it has been getting worse and worse.
I vaguely told my best friend about it the other day but she lives 2 hours away from me so its hard to speak to her about it.
I really want to get help as it is really effecting me and my daily life.
I want to go to my doctor to get help but i feel like telling my family is not an option. This makes it hard to go to my doctor as i wouldn't be able to go without my mum knowing and then asking why I am going.
Therefore I am thinking about writing a letter to my doctor explaining everything.
This way my family won't find out and I won't forget to say things like I would in a consultation.
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice about how I can write a letter and how to start off a bullet point list of how i feel without it being abrupt?
Hi OP, a letter/email sounds like a good idea - the main thing is not to worry too much about how the letter comes across, but rather to get your point across. What you've just written in the thread would be absolutely fine to put into a letter (along with all the bullet points you need detailing how you're feeling) - what you've said above is very clear, and I wouldn't think your doctor should be too concerned about formality, unless they're a particularly formal doctor :smile:

It would be good for you to get a consultation session in person with your doc at some point if at all possible - you could jot down notes beforehand, so that you don't forget to mention any of your points. The absolute worst thing you could do is keep ignoring it/hope it'll go away, esp as you say you've been feeling worse and worse - a year's already quite a while, and the earlier you identify whatever it is that's making you feel not great, the easier it'll be to manage.

I don't know how viable this seems to you at the moment but it might be worth considering why you think not telling your family is an option and discussing this with someone else to see if there is a way where you'd feel comfortable letting them know? That might take a lot of the stress off your shoulders (?) but equally I'm not in your shoes and it's ultimately your call.

Also is there a counsellor at your school you could bring this up with, or another staff member who you think you could talk to? That way you could still wait till you think you'd be comfortable telling your parents, and have other people you trust, and who you have access to, to talk to till that point.

Big hugs :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest