Magnetism and Electromagnetism Watch

MMarìc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! In my physics class we are now studying the Magnetism and Electromagnetism and we have to finish the booklet that our teacher gave to us and hand it back to her. We are actually rushing this lesson so I am a bit confused to some parts. (This will be long)

1. Like magnetic poles NORTH & NORTH or SOUTH & SOUTH. Dissimilar poles NORTH & SOUTH. Magnets also ATTRACT some metallic objects.

2. Magnetic force are strong over long or short distances. SHORT

3. Magnetic force is the distribution of the magnetic force in the region of a magnet.
Write a similar statement for gravitational fields. GRAVITATIONAL FIELDS HAVE A POINT OF SOURCE AND EXERT FORCE FROM A DISTANCE WITH NO CONTACT.

4. What is the difference between objects that exert gravitational forces and objects that exert magnetic forces.
IN GRAVITATIONAL FORCES, THEY ONLY GO ON CENTER. WHILE IN MAGNETIC FORCES THEY GO ON LOOPS.

5. Are object that exert gravitational force dipoles? How do you know?
NO, (i am not sure how to explain it)

6. Name one thing you could do to make a permanent magnet lose its magnetic properties.
HEAT IT UP, BECAUSE THIS WILL MAKE THE ELECTRONS MOVE TO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS, WHICH WILL UNMAGNETIZED IT.

7. If you were to make a model Earth with a magnetic field you would place the _______ end of the magnet would you place at the north geographic pole? Why?
(Again not sure)

8. The ELECTRIC CURRENT inside the Earth is thought to cause the Earth’s magnetic field.

9. The strip on the back of your credit card stores information as a ______ of ________ strength.

10. What is the shape of magnetic field inside the jaws of a horseshoe magnet?
LOOP

11. a) What happened to the suspended magnet when the current is reversed?
POINTS TO THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.
b) What does it tell you about electric current and magnetism?
WHEN ELECTRIC CURRENT CHANGES ITS DIRECTION THE MAGNETIC FORCE ALSO CHANGES ITS DIRECTION.
c) What must be going on in the permanent magnets to have a magnetic field? MAGNETIC DOMAIN
d) How is it possible. What you know about the atoms here?

12. _____ electrons cause a substance ti have _____ properties

13. What is the shape of magnetic field line? LOOP
14. What is the shape of the magnetic field around a straight conductor? CONCENTRIC CIRCLES

The capitals are my answers. Thank you so much for reading. Please let me know if i have wrong answers and please help me answer and explain the stuff I cannot answer. Thank you again!!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Eimmanuel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MMarìc)
Hi! In my physics class we are now studying the Magnetism and Electromagnetism and we have to finish the booklet that our teacher gave to us and hand it back to her. We are actually rushing this lesson so I am a bit confused to some parts. (This will be long)

1. Like magnetic poles NORTH & NORTH or SOUTH & SOUTH. Dissimilar poles NORTH & SOUTH. Magnets also ATTRACT some metallic objects.

2. Magnetic force are strong over long or short distances. SHORT

3. Magnetic force is the distribution of the magnetic force in the region of a magnet.
Write a similar statement for gravitational fields. GRAVITATIONAL FIELDS HAVE A POINT OF SOURCE AND EXERT FORCE FROM A DISTANCE WITH NO CONTACT.

4. What is the difference between objects that exert gravitational forces and objects that exert magnetic forces.
IN GRAVITATIONAL FORCES, THEY ONLY GO ON CENTER. WHILE IN MAGNETIC FORCES THEY GO ON LOOPS.

6. Name one thing you could do to make a permanent magnet lose its magnetic properties.
HEAT IT UP, BECAUSE THIS WILL MAKE THE ELECTRONS MOVE TO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS, WHICH WILL UNMAGNETIZED IT.

7. If you were to make a model Earth with a magnetic field you would place the _______ end of the magnet would you place at the north geographic pole? Why?
(Again not sure)

8. The ELECTRIC CURRENT inside the Earth is thought to cause the Earth’s magnetic field.

9. The strip on the back of your credit card stores information as a ______ of ________ strength.

LOOP

WHEN ELECTRIC CURRENT CHANGES ITS DIRECTION THE MAGNETIC FORCE ALSO CHANGES ITS DIRECTION.
c) What must be going on in the permanent magnets to have a magnetic field? MAGNETIC DOMAIN

14. What is the shape of the magnetic field around a straight conductor? CONCENTRIC CIRCLES

The capitals are my answers. Thank you so much for reading. Please let me know if i have wrong answers and please help me answer and explain the stuff I cannot answer. Thank you again!!!

(Can you check the question again - Magnetic force is the distribution of the magnetic force in the region of a magnet. I think you should connect gravitational fields with gravitational force and mass)

(It seems that you are talking about gravitational field and magnetic field instead of gravitational force and magnetic force)

(Do you know what is dipoles? Does mass have positive and negative mass?)

(Again not sure)
(The sentence does not seem to be right. Can you check it again)

(I don’t really agree with the answer. Sound a bit strange (to me). See page 591 of Pearson Physics)
Just for your reference: On Earth, magnetism is most probably caused by moving charges in the molten layer just below Earth’s crust. (this is the suggested for 12.1 Check and Reflect Question 4(b))

(Not sure what your teacher expects)
https://allaboutmagnets.wikispaces.c...s+Work-+per.+2
https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=381

LOOP
(Drawing the “shape” of the magnetic field makes more sense than to describe the “shape”:confused:)

(Agree)

(Don’t really know what your teacher wants.)

Just for your reference: In a bar magnet, magnetism is caused by moving charges within the atoms. (this is the suggested for 12.1 Check and Reflect Question 4(a))

https://www.quora.com/What-exactly-causes-magnetic-properties-on-materials

(Shape?:confused: Don’t really know what your teacher wants.)
A proposed answer: Magnetic field lines are continuous, forming closed loops without a beginning or end. They are directed from the north pole to the south pole.)

There are some comments in regard to the questions in the curve brackets. Suggested answers or references are in a different colour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads