The Student Room Group

Is MPhil from Cambridge university good?

I am currently in my second semester of 1st year for a PhD at Cambridge university. So far I actually do not really like it and plan to go and get a BSc degree in paramedic (this means I will have 3 BSc degrees, biomedical science, medical biotech and MSc in Molecular medicine).

The idea being stuck in academia and potentionally pharmaceutical is not really attractive to me and therefore i thought I might need to get a clinical degree in order to have best of both worlds

But that means i am coming out with an MPhil, is MPhil better than MSc generally especially from Cambridge university, I mean is it even worth mentioning on my CV because I do not want employers to get an impression that I failed my PhD
You seem like you have a lot of qualifications - why not apply for a job you enjoy? If you like paramedics, go for it!

I'd say an mphil from Cambridge is definitely worth putting on your CV! I don't think there's any way of knowing that you were on the PhD programme prior to the MPhil, so no worries?
Reply 2
Original post by notespad
You seem like you have a lot of qualifications - why not apply for a job you enjoy? If you like paramedics, go for it!

I'd say an mphil from Cambridge is definitely worth putting on your CV! I don't think there's any way of knowing that you were on the PhD programme prior to the MPhil, so no worries?

oh I did not know that, because i read usually MPhil holders were in a PhD program and mostly like failed or dropped out. I did not know MPhil can be a stand alone degree
Original post by notespad

Original post by casey1990
oh I did not know that, because i read usually MPhil holders were in a PhD program and mostly like failed or dropped out. I did not know MPhil can be a stand alone degree

An MPhil in this field is essentially a failed PhD. What you put on your CV depends on what you are applying to do or study. But what the previous poster said about your having a lot of qualifications is right. Get some work experience to work out what you want to do rather than just collecting degrees as employers are more likely to question that.
Original post by casey1990

Original post by alleycat393
An MPhil in this field is essentially a failed PhD. What you put on your CV depends on what you are applying to do or study. But what the previous poster said about your having a lot of qualifications is right. Get some work experience to work out what you want to do rather than just collecting degrees as employers are more likely to question that.

I am considering applying for an MPhil in Development Studies at UoCambridge and have absolutely no intention to pursue a PhD nor an academic career. I'm not saying collect degrees, but you can learn a lot from a lot of experiences. Just depends on how you come across at interview and how prepared you are for the job you are applying for otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending