allyourbase
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
If I gave my name, where i live, and my account number to someone who was transferring money into my account, would they be able to gain access to it and steal money etc?
amazon-bluebird
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Doubtful. They would need your date of birth and mother's maiden name, plus other security details, and most likely false ID. It's highly unlikely they could take control of your accounts, unless they were a professional and set on commiting fraud, in which case they could get the rest of the info from public records.

Do you use internet banking?
alpesh24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you write a cheque to something via post (ordering something in a catalogue etc.), you are giving the same information away anyway as cheques contain you bank account number and sort code (and since you are ordering something, name & address is also included).

As long as you're date of birth and/or mother's maiden name; it should be OK; but dont quote me on that.
allyourbase
Rep:
?
yeah i use online banking, why :p:

and thanks!
amazon-bluebird
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's ok. lol.

Internet banking is the easiest route for a fraudster to gain access to your accounts, so it might be a good idea to make sure you have strong password (eg: m4ws5oc83bci) instead of something that contains anything personal to you in it (like your name or town, or favourite football team).
allyourbase
Rep:
?
yeah my password is strong

lol..

anyway i've managed to get the person to use paypal to send the money so its all dandy
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by alpesh24)
If you write a cheque to something via post (ordering something in a catalogue etc.), you are giving the same information away anyway as cheques contain you bank account number and sort code (and since you are ordering something, name & address is also included).

As long as you're date of birth and/or mother's maiden name; it should be OK; but dont quote me on that.

cheques are worse; they contain a sort code and account number as well as a copy of your signature

as long as you didnt give your security number they cant order stuff off the net

and then your DOB, mothers maiden name, pin number, etc (as alpesh said)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads