Which is better: City, University of London vs Buckingham, for LLB?

Watch this thread
Brahiti
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Which is better: City, University of London vs Buckingham, for LLB?

I'm mostly talking about reputation (among employers, people {answer separately for each}) and employability.

This is urgent. Please answer as soon as possible?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
both pretty bad
Brahiti
Rep:
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
both pretty bad
This is for my safety choice. Can you think of better ABB/BBB ones? If not, please do pick
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Liverpool is a better ABB. It's the best you're gonna get with ABB. Every year, they take approx 20-30% BBB on enrolment, too, so ABB is by no means a hard limit.They also have a near 100% offer rate from BBB to A*A*A*.

City. Aston, I dearsay. Kent. UEA, Sheffield. Leicester. NTU, Oxford Brookes. All these are better than Buckingham. Many better than City.
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
City is a target university for many city firms, Buckingham isn't.

But your employability will be driven by you, not the name of your institution name on your degree certificate.

Where going to a target uni will help is that you will get more support and advice on how to pursue certain careers. City have quite a lot of employability elements structured into their law course - if I remember correctly one of your module is either completely on employability, or at least part assessed on employability matters.
Do you think if you go to a less established law course, with a good academic background, that you are at something at an advantage even without the generic legal career support given at more established unis? In the sense that you become more familiar with your lecturers, who have contacts in the profession and are generally knowledgeable about the field, and have more time to dedicate to you? This is notwithstanding the likelihood that you will get a higher grade at the less established law course vs established.
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
A good academic background means you are just on a level playing field. It won't give you an advantage - its typically just a minimum requirement.
No, I mean say someone with A*A*A* went to Buckingham, they would be something rather special. They would get academic awards, most probably. They would know the professors and lecturers better than most, and at the less established unis these tend to be practitioners. You would probably have more tacit support for TC/set apps than if you were at a uni like City which has good generic legal careers services.

Not that OP Is A*A*A* -- I was just asking your opinion on the matter.

I see your edit; fair enough. I know someone who went to Sunderland and graduated with an 82% or something, and their principal lecturer was a former associate at a local firm and was currently a consultant. The lecturer talked the person through the app, on an informal basis, and read over it; and I just got the sense that they were at an advantage to most people at my uni which gets the like of you coming along for a day every year.
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
That wouldn’t surprise me. I know I bang on about it, but local connections to the area are likely to be better at a local uni, and so if you want to work in a firm in a certain region outside of London, going to a local uni is likely to help.

Undoubtedly those who strike up a good relationship with an academic who has strong ties to the type of employer they want to work for is likely to help, in the same way having a parent, family member or older sibling does too. If you stand out from the crowd because all the other students are not interested in the same career, undoubtedly that helps too where more focus can be on you.
And to put my cynical spin on it (which you must expect by now), the team at a local firm is going to have more in common with the Sunderland/Buckingham grad than the poncy grad from some Southern Russell Group uni, giving most of them will have attended locals as well. Giving the impression of "fitting in with the team" is quite an important factor, for large firms (admittedly) but especially for small firms with less formal recruitment processes.

I think the point is that sometimes people at low ranked unis can get a decent level of informal support, and therefore a uni having a better career services team is not always determinative of your future in law. (Sometimes active informal support is more impressive and influential than passive formal support; someone asking you if you've applied to firms yet every seminar vs a weekly email telling you about deadlines coming or giving group-wide VS/TC presentations.)
Brahiti
Rep:
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Liverpool is a better ABB. It's the best you're gonna get with ABB. Every year, they take approx 20-30% BBB on enrolment, too, so ABB is by no means a hard limit.They also have a near 100% offer rate from BBB to A*A*A*.

City. Aston, I dearsay. Kent. UEA, Sheffield. Leicester. NTU, Oxford Brookes. All these are better than Buckingham. Many better than City.
Oh yeah. Just saw the stats for employment. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (140)
66.35%
No (47)
22.27%
I didn't use it to prepare (24)
11.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed