letmebeavet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone

Been reading the posts on studying vet med in Europe but don't see any up-to-date ones, so just wanted to ask if anyone has any recent advice for applying? Just having missed out on a couple of grades last summer to apply in the UK, I'm looking at vet med courses in Europe instead taught in English, for this Autumn 2018 and my shortlist is: LLU Latvia, LSMU Lithuania, Poland (Wroclaw and Warsaw) and Bulgaria (Trakia and Sofia). Does anyone have any experience of these places? Where is the teaching best? Which has the most modern facilities? Which places are best to be a student in? Do I have to use an agency to apply and if so which do you recommend as the charges seem quite high except Tutelage but I don't think they help with veterinary courses. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
CrazyPantha27
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by letmebeavet)
Hello everyone

Been reading the posts on studying vet med in Europe but don't see any up-to-date ones, so just wanted to ask if anyone has any recent advice for applying? Just having missed out on a couple of grades last summer to apply in the UK, I'm looking at vet med courses in Europe instead taught in English, for this Autumn 2018 and my shortlist is: LLU Latvia, LSMU Lithuania, Poland (Wroclaw and Warsaw) and Bulgaria (Trakia and Sofia). Does anyone have any experience of these places? Where is the teaching best? Which has the most modern facilities? Which places are best to be a student in? Do I have to use an agency to apply and if so which do you recommend as the charges seem quite high except Tutelage but I don't think they help with veterinary courses. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
If you went to these places and graduated would you be looking to come back to the UK and Work?
letmebeavet
Rep:
?
Possibly. Not sure though. If I went to one of those countries and settled there, learnt the language and made lots of friends I might end up staying, or I'd be keen to travel, get experience working in different countries first, might return there or back to the UK, who knows....
paurok89
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know about LSMU in Lithuania. To be honest with you, UK offers much better courses Veterinary medicine course in LSMU is full of theory and doesn't provide a lot of practical experience which is obviously vital. I don't know if I am right but I also know that after graduating in Lithuania you won't be able to work as a vet in the UK unless you pass some courses and get accreditation in the UK
letmebeavet
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply.
I looked on the EAEVE's site and the courses in Lithuania (and Latvia and Warsaw) have conditional approval, Stara Zagora and Wroclaw have approval (just like Bristol, Cambridge, Edinburgh etc) see http://www.eaeve.org/fileadmin/downl...10.01.2017.pdf
and if you double check on RCVS' site they too recognise the qualifications and it is just an administrative procedure to register with them to enable you to work as a vet in the UK, see https://www.rcvs.org.uk/registration...nary-surgeons/
(although RCVS list Lithuania's under the name Lithuanian Veterinary Academy which merged with Kaunas University of Medicine back in 2010 to become LMSU).

Obviously when Brexit happens there may then be changes to this but who knows, if the UK goes to the dogs I might want to stay in Europe anyway! Or it might be a wise career choice for a Brit as I've read how there is a shortage of vets in the UK and growing concern that with Brexit this could get worse, so maybe there would be ample opportunities, despite hearing people say that when it comes to getting a job in the UK some recruiters might not look very favourably at graduates from the European universities because they're not familiar with the courses and there might be a misconception they're not taught to the same level. You'd hope that by having the RCVS recognise the degrees as being of equitable standard to those in the UK (and therefore not requiring you to take any further courses for accreditation) that an industry standard is set, so they shouldn't rule you out on this basis. I would apply to a British vet school if they weren't so grade focused, I missed out by a whisker but with such high numbers of applicants they wouldn't bother reading my personal statement or all the work and practical experience I've done, so I'm just being a realist and as plan B have applied for other courses like bio science and zoology and got several offers from UK universities, however I'm looking at studying in Europe as a way of realising my ambition of one day becoming a vet.
e.g. see https://www.bva.co.uk/news-campaigns...cupation-list/

What do other people think about the vet courses in Europe?
lwescott
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I study at UVM Kosice in Slovakia and know people who study in Brno, Budapest so have visited those universities too. We are EAEVE Approved and Accredited which not many other uni's are yet.
I did my undergrad in the UK and love studying abroad; we are really hands on from the start, class sizes are small (14 in my practical group) and get to go on lots of trips so I feel confident with lots of practical tasks already.

All of our graduates from the last few years have had no trouble getting jobs and lots of vets I've spoken to have been really positive about it, which was different 10 years ago when I was at school and thinking about it. It's becoming more and more popular as UK costs increase and there is talk of vets going on the shortage occupation list to allow recruitment of EU graduates post-Brexit.
letmebeavet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wanted to give a quick update for anyone thinking about studying veterinary in Wroclaw - just do it! It's hard hard work though, don't think of it as an easy option if you don't get in to a vet school in UK/Ireland. The vet teaching is in English and covers a lot of ground in a short space of time, so you have to be prepared to put the work in and fill in the gaps yourself, therefore if you're not a particularly independent learner or not particularly motivated to do this then it won't be for you. Wroclaw is an amazing city anyway, but to be a student here is great. Easy to get around on the transport system, affordable living costs, good bars/restaurants/things to do. But the best thing about this course is the people you meet. Best decision ever!
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just wanted to give a quick update for anyone thinking about studying veterinary in Wroclaw - just do it! It's hard hard work though, don't think of it as an easy option if you don't get in to a vet school in UK/Ireland. The vet teaching is in English and covers a lot of ground in a short space of time, so you have to be prepared to put the work in and fill in the gaps yourself, therefore if you're not a particularly independent learner or not particularly motivated to do this then it won't be for you. Wroclaw is an amazing city anyway, but to be a student here is great. Easy to get around on the transport system, affordable living costs, good bars/restaurants/things to do. But the best thing about this course is the people you meet. Best decision ever!
Can I ask what made you choose Wroclaw over Warsaw?
lublubb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thinking between Warsaw and Wroclaw as well. Want to ask what’s made you choosing Wroclaw as Nessie162 pointed out.
Elleeen
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just to let u know that my plan b(if i get rejection) whould be
BRNO,Budapest or Valencia.All are english speaking uni and the latest 2 both approved and accredited.There more practical rather than theoritical.I have visited Brno and its nice but very very cold for me.I will wait till March and if i get rejection i will visit Valencia.Anybody has an experience on the above univ.?
Anee_kh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, I am currently on my second gap year. I have applied for veterinary medicine to study this September (2019) but looking at the way my interviews went, I’m not too hopeful. My plan B is also to go abroad but I don’t know where to start and how to find the right university. There’s so much information. Can anybody help? How did you research the universities and how will you apply to them to study this September?
letmebeavet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I went to visit a few European universities and the best one which suited my needs was Wroclaw. For those who were asking, for me the city was the deciding factor in where to choose for vet med. Wroclaw is amazing and has everything I need and want there, the people are generally lovely too. Warsaw is a much bigger city and the people aren’t as nice, that’s according to Wroclawians, you get chatting to them on the tram, they say they’re a bit up themselves in Warsaw, I don’t know if that’s the case I’m just reporting what I’ve been told, but my experience is that the people in Wroclaw have been friendly, helpful and welcoming to me and I feel safe living here as a young female. The other thing is apparently some people have transferred from Budapest vet school to come here and much prefer it, again can’t speak for them but know from experience that Budapest is a challenging place in terms of friendliness of the locals, beautiful city but don’t expect any welcoming smiles! Hope that helps!
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went to visit a few European universities and the best one which suited my needs was Wroclaw. For those who were asking, for me the city was the deciding factor in where to choose for vet med. Wroclaw is amazing and has everything I need and want there, the people are generally lovely too. Warsaw is a much bigger city and the people aren’t as nice, that’s according to Wroclawians, you get chatting to them on the tram, they say they’re a bit up themselves in Warsaw, I don’t know if that’s the case I’m just reporting what I’ve been told, but my experience is that the people in Wroclaw have been friendly, helpful and welcoming to me and I feel safe living here as a young female. The other thing is apparently some people have transferred from Budapest vet school to come here and much prefer it, again can’t speak for them but know from experience that Budapest is a challenging place in terms of friendliness of the locals, beautiful city but don’t expect any welcoming smiles! Hope that helps!
Also just to add for anyone else still trying to choose- it’s a very challenging time in Hungary at the moment politically. I wouldn’t choose there at the moment (despite it being a good vet school and a nice city to live in- the locals are friendly but the culture is very different) because it’s very unstable. Brexit pales in comparison to the turmoil there at the moment.
jaquesU
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you get student loans like you can in the UK? Have you been able to find a job alongside studying?
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jaquesU)
Can you get student loans like you can in the UK? Have you been able to find a job alongside studying?
I'm in my 1st year at Warsaw.
You can get a student loan from a Polish bank however I'm not sure if they're available to foreigners. But since they're bank loans I can't see why not? You can get up to £200 a month (which is more than enough if you live in halls). You start paying it off 2 years after graduation.
It's also income based. Your household income needs to be below a certain amount to qualify for the loan.

I'm working part time too, and while its managable I wouldn't recommend working in your first year.
huz88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you get a degree from an accredited Eaeve does that mean you are MCRVS and can work in Australia?
letmebeavet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve just finished my 3rd semester studying veterinary at Wroclaw UELS and can thoroughly recommend it. If you look on their website all the information is there on how to apply, it’s not a difficult process 😆 Good luck!
letmebeavet
Rep:
?
(Original post by huz88)
If you get a degree from an accredited Eaeve does that mean you are MCRVS and can work in Australia?
No it means you are eligible to apply to the RCVS for membership. It is a separate process involving checking your degree, references etc but usually being EAEVS accredited means you won’t have to sit further exams to get membership. Check the website though 😆
huz88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No it means you are eligible to apply to the RCVS for membership. It is a separate process involving checking your degree, references etc but usually being EAEVS accredited means you won’t have to sit further exams to get membership. Check the website though 😆
Ahhh ok. I was wondering because to practice in Australia/New Zealand you need to be a MRCVS. I am so confused. I go to Brno, I know I can practice in the uk as I can apply for RCVS membership as it is an approved Eaeve degree. Is there a difference between MRCVS and RCVS membership via fee paying? Would I not be MRCVS if I just apply to RCVS with out exams?
Last edited by huz88; 1 year ago
letmebeavet
Rep:
?
Once you qualify and have your EAEVE accredited degree, and if the process remains the same now the U.K. has left the EU, then if all your paperwork is in order you’ll be able to apply to be a MRCVS. Once that comes through maybe after a month or 2 then you’ll be eligible to apply for a vet job in Oz/NZ. There won’t be any difference in membership or how much you pay, you’ll only be eligible for membership if you meet their strict criteria to practice as a veterinarian however much you pay!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.28%

Watched Threads